1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Mutombo Planning Star-Studded Charity Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Omer, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Omer

Omer Member

Mutombo gets ball rolling
    Rockets center plans all-star game in Paris to assist hospital in Congo

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

SAN ANTONIO - Back from his night as an honored guest at the State of the Union address, Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo joined the Rockets here while making plans for a game on another continent.

In that one, Mutombo plans to bring Yao Ming with him.

Mutombo expects to hold an all-star game on July 15 in Paris with several NBA stars, including Yao, playing against the Spurs' Tony Parker and the French team.

Proceeds will benefit the Biamba Marie Mutombo Hospital and Research Center in Kinshasa, Republic of Congo.

"We have a game in Paris for the hospital," Mutombo said. "We're going to play against the French, all the international players playing in America, me, Yao, Dirk (Nowitzki), Pau Gasol, we're going to play against the French national team with Tony Parker.

"Yao is playing so we will raise a couple million. All the money will go to the hospital to run the hospital for the first couple of years."

NBA vice president of international communications Terry Lyons said the NBA is working on sanctioning the game.

"I think it will happen," Lyons said. "It's in the sanctioning process, that's for sure."

Mutombo hopes the hospital will begin treating patients in April, pending the delivery of some needed equipment. The official opening is scheduled for three days after the Paris game.

"I have a big fundraising coming up April 12 at the Houstonian, a big one," Mutombo said. "I'm trying to get the mayor (Bill White) and the father Bush to speak at it."

Former President Bush has met with Mutombo on several occasions and spoke at the Rockets' 2005 Tux & Tennies dinner to help raise $500,000 for the hospital.

"I've had the chance to meet with a lot of members of Congress, a few cabinet members as well," Mutombo said. "I didn't know this message was going to reach the president. To me, to be a citizen of this country ... to be praised for my work in Africa, I'm very happy."

A day later, Mutombo said he was moved, but there was no mistaking his expression on Tuesday.

"That was pure joy right there," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "You see that pure joy usually in kids. To me, they were heartfelt remarks about a wonderful guy.

"It doesn't matter what your political view is ... to be recognized for your humanitarian work by the President of the United States is a highlight that Dikembe will never forget."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4497706.html

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deke is the Man!

3. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

lol! i just got mail from the Dikembe Mutumbo Foundation! :p

4. Vivid

Vivid Member

good for him...making a difference with his time and money

5. kingkow

kingkow Member

why the sactioning. As if the NBA commission is not rich enough already

6. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Dekes heart is as big as he's humongus frame. if there ever was a true athelete who you could say is a bonafide role model, this guy has to be it.

7. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Deke is a ture All Star.

8. dischead

dischead Member

Someone please capture the game and post a torrent.

9. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

10. Highwire

Highwire Member

Deke for president in Congo.

11. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

he might, one day.... :eek:

12. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

I can't wait to see this game...an all international all-star team. :D

13. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

I think the all-star game should have something like this - American all stars against foreign-born all stars. It should be a great game with Steve Nash, Parker, Gino, Duncan, Notwitski, Pau, Yao, AK47 etc against other American all stars.

14. Highwire

Highwire Member

do you think i was kidding? i'm not.

15. Glyyde

Glyyde Member

if its happen, I am flying over to Paris to watch this game.... any idea when will it be on?

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This dude can never score or rebound again for the Rockets and I'd still love him for the mere fact he's got his priorities right in life.