1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you open a Savings Account with this Bank

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tim562, Jan 26, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Okay, here is the deal.....with my income tax check, I am like the billions of others who are going to put it into a savings account. I bank with Chase, and their percentage rate is only .25%. Well, I found THIS BANK and the percentage rate is 4.50%. Problem I have is that I need to know if it a legit bank? Would you put your money there? It says its FDIC insured and has an FDIC number. Its an online bank and we all know how that online scam crap is. It explains how its able to have such a large rate. Read and let me know what ya'll think. Thanks in advance...

This Link is the savings account page...

Tim

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

ING is a legit bank. One of the largest in Western Europe in fact. My parents have some of their retirement money in ING subsidiaries.

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

ING is a pretty big international bank. I've seen them in Europe and India and I remember they used to run commercials in the US. Actually I think they're Dutch or Belgian if I'm not mistaken.

But yes, it's a large multinational bank. You won't get screwed by them.

EDIT: here's the wiki entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ING_Group

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Oh, thanks Mr. Brightside and geeimsobored. I just wasn't sure. :D

5. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

HSBC is much better, trust me.

They have better rate, their system is extremely complex which make it extraordinary secure.

They're the fifth largest bank in the world, and FDIC insured, so your fund is 100 percent safe.

6. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

ING has been running adds on TV for a couple years now.

You know, some person sitting on a park bench and another person walks up and says "What is that?" The person on the bench looks behind them and sees the sign that says "ING" and they start talking about ING. Then the person standing says, no not that ...THAT. and points to some weird random thing like a dancing bear or something.

Anyway, don't know if ING is reputable but I know they've been advertising for years. So it isn't a fly-by-night.

7. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

A Dutch company for sure, you can tell from them calling their products "Orange Saving Account". :)

And yes ING is a HUGE multinational financial institution. But Tim, I would suggest you to call their hotline before setting up your account. I would ask if the 4.5% interest rate is guaranteed, and if not, over how long a period; and how could you withdraw your money from your Orange Saving Account and if their is any charge/fees incurred if you want to withdraw money from the account.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Yup, or Citi.

I have accounts with HSBC I think I get 5.05% right now if I remembered correctly, no minimum. You have to remember though you need your local bank to access your money by transferring the money to local banks first, this could take up to three or four days. ING is similiar, my sister uses them and she likes it.

#8 pirc1, Jan 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  9. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

ING is totally legit. They can give higher interest rates because savings accounts are all they do ( no brick and moretar, no checking )

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Like others say ING is legit, but you can get better rates at other banks..

Check this site out..

http://www.bankrate.com/

For a basic savings account I'm at Emigrantdirect right now..

11. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

I've used both Emigrant Direct and ING. It's a guaranteed savings accout and there are no fees for withdrawal.

The only drawback is that it can take 3-4 days to transfer money either way.

12. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I have an ING account and like it. The rate is variable but I don't think mine has ever gone down, only up. And as was mentioned before to use the money you have to transfer it to another account to get it out, but there aren't any transfer fees.

If you want to start a new account you can get $25 if a current customer refers you, let me know if you want me to send you a referral.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have been using ING for some years now. I have always been pleased, and kept that same rate for as long as I have had the account. It looks like folks found some banks with better rates, so I might investigate those as well.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They have recently added a "debit card" account in addition to savings.

15. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

ING is ok, not a bad bank.

HSBC is better, sign up an online savings account and manage it all online.

More importantly, the interest is 5.05%, they always adjust their interest to be better than the competition so whenever Citigroup increases, HSBC does in kind.

16. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I use HSBC, its awesome

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, that rate seems pretty high for a regular ol' savings account.

I have a savings account with my company credit union that I put all my gig money in. Not sure what the rate is, but I don't think it's higher than 4%.

With HSBC, is it a pain to make deposits? How do you do it online?

18. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I'll second the HSBC comments. I opened an account about 6 months ago and I have been nothing but pleased and get 5.05% APY.

www.hsbcdirect.com

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I appreciate that link. Makes research very easy.