1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rebuild] New Orleans or Iraq?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You asked about houses not infrastructure. If someone wants to pay outrageous insurance premiums so that they can rebuild their beach side home in Florida every so often, that is their deal. Rebuilding an entire city is a whole other thing. I just don't see the point in rebuilding when it will happen again. Like I asked before, how many times should we do this?

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

The economics of the port of New Orleans, the HUGE oil/gas industry in the area (which, incidentally, are some of the major reasons the wetlands have been sacrificed, thus allowing for erosion and subsequent mega-flooding) are monstrous.

Arguing this from an economics standpoint is daft - if any place deserves to NOT be rebuilt following a hurricane, it's florida, not Louisiana. Hell, just the fishing industry in Louisiana outdoes any of Florida's "industries".

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It's too much for private industry and it's in the national interest.

Erie Canal, Transcontinental Railroad, Interstates... all and more are examples of the Federal government doing stuff private industry couldn't do alone and all are related to the transportation and the economy and all were done in the national interest.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In the republican's Opinion
    we should just give haliburton 100 Billion a year to run Iraq
    and then let them make profit off the oil too
    and
    of course No Over Site necessary . .cause that is regulation

Rocket River

5. typhoon

typhoon Member

Trader_Jorge doesn't care about black people.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You have to admit, a lot of the people from new orleans are abusing the system right now.

7. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

not to further bring this off topic, but if west had said bush doesn't care about poor and middle class people, i would have agreed with him.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

People abuse all the "systems," all over the country. Are we supposed to write off one of the oldest, most historic and culturally significant cities in the country because of that? It would be a terrible mistake, in my opinion.

D&D. NOLA Rocks.

9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Is there enough land available at higher elevations (say 5ft above sea level or so) in the greater New Orleans area to accomodate everyone needed to run the ports, and those who would provide those people with services? Could the ports be run from a city built a few miles away and just build a rail system into the flood zone to bring in the workers? It seems like there could be some way to use the ports without building another city in the flood zone.

10. insane man

insane man Member

i think as a general matter you are always more obligated to your neighbors and kin than someone far away. however if you ruin the lives of people far away you have an obligation to handle that. i think the blame n run strategy that this administration will employ within a year and a half will be morally worse than going into an unjust war.

the powell pottery barn rule applies here.

i understand the political reason behind this contention. frankly i dont think its a great one. however morally i can't support it. i just dont dig this dichotomy.

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I'm torn both ways myself insane man. It's not really a mutually exclusive question though. Just some stupid thoughts running around the brain.

12. insane man

insane man Member

yeah and please dont take this as a rant against you. if anything it should make us all realize that this administration criminal incompetence in all of these areas.

hopefully webb's big balls can be cloned and implanted into the rest of congress.

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Both. There is no indication one is hurting the other.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our national debt is one indication.

15. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I think this is a great question. I'd probably be more ok with a situation like this than rebuilding NO as it was.

16. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

An indication of what? It doesn't indicate the intervention in Iraq is hurting the rebuilding of New Orleans.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Throwing good money after bad...there is no reason to still be spending money on NOLA...Move the city inland...In Iraq, you break, you buy...

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have read that the National Guard has only 30% of it's heavy equipment in the United States, the majority being left in Iraq for units rotating into the theatre. I would argue that that's an impact on national capabilities at home by the Guard. That's putting aside the manpower in Iraq. As for the impact on the national debt, Bush has clearly demonstrated that he doesn't give a good god damn about it, regardless of whatever BS he's currently spouting. His actions, or lack thereof, speak quite loudly enough on the subject.

In short, I don't think spending enters into Bush's calculus, if he knows what the word means.

D&D. Beware of Darkness.

19. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

The National Guard wouldn't be rebuilding New Orleans anyway. While that might have had an effect on the evacuation of NO, it doesn't have an impact on the rebuilding.

And you're right that Bush doesn't care about the national debt, so that also isn't a tradeoff that is hurting NO.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If they were free to act on behalf of the state government, and had their equipment, I don't see why they couldn't be used to speed up the process.

D&D. Water is Wet.