1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 1/16/2007

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 15, 2007.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

he's done exactly that against the suns. they weren't very successful attempts.

2. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

I don't see how, this loss can mostly be attributed to two slow spots offensively, when t-mac was out and when he was getting alot of pressure.

During those slow times the offense can just ride Yao for points.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

And some people think we are OK at PG. :rolleyes: Just wait and watch him choke like a dog in the playoffs.

4. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Mavs have so many good shooters, they can create mismatchs everywhere.

Sure, Yao coming back will help, but what if Mavs go small and attack Yao on the other end? What if they use Davin George or Josh Howard as center and make Yao guard them? Does Rox have answers? I don't think so.

Also I think Avery Johnson's game plan is great. They rarely double-team T-Mac even he went off like this. They let T-Mac get his 50pts and don't leave other shooters open. Avery must have studied a lot of Rox films.

5. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

We did not lose tonights game on their 3 pt shooting. It is the inside. They out rebounded us and out scored in the paint. That laid the foundation of their winning. They really did not shoot 3pt till they take control of the game in 4th quarter (except that f*** george).

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree... our defense sucked ass tonight... but it was more of an effort issue. Guys got a little too happy being in a shootout, instead of making the game more at our pace.

A lot of that was because T-mac was so damn hot... you almost had to let him get the ball as many possesions as possible. Even in the first half, when the defense wasn't that bad, the Mavs missed a ton of makeable shots.

To beat the Mavs, even if you're not at full strength, you have to take a page of what Miami did to them... turn it into a physical slug-fest, grind it out, and have a guy as relentless as D-wade to play 48 minutes of straight-up ATTACKING basketball.

Since we're not going to do that, we need to get Yao back on the court ASAP to prevent those "small" Mavs lineups. Yao is impervious to the fronting defense now (which is why Josh Howard was able to guard him in stretches in 04).

7. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

He was the weakest link for the Laker durin their championship days... I always thought it was a dumb move playing him over Horry...it took a while for Phil Jackson to appreciate Rob's game...Devin has a tendency to make bad decisions...

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Nothing to be disappointed about, good game/fight put up by this extremely shorthanded Rockets team. Sure, some of the guys struggled with their offense, but it wasn't for a lack of trying.

Mavs are just too deep and loaded for us to have a chance with anything less than full-strength...it's amazing we even had a shot at all this game (thanks mostly to McGrady, I know, but still). What was their bench production again versus ours?

Head struggled mightily, may be his worse game of the season, couldn't come at a more inopportune time.

Rafer did well on defense, but continued his usual O-fer performance on the other end of the court. I won't make any more derogatory comments about his game because I know we have some oversensitive posters here. I will just say my opinion of him as a player and as a Rocket hasn't changed at all, on the contrary.

9. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

haha .. more like he wanted it to seem like that so he could have an excuse why he sucked it up in the 4th

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought about that... and then realized that the "fronting defense" (which is what they'd have to play against Yao with those two) has not slowed down Yao ONE TIME since about the middle of last season.

He's impervious to it now... there's NO WAY the Mavs can go small with Yao in the game.

11. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I remember him doing pretty well agianst it in the playoff series as well. They wre able to lob it to him and he would score at will. and now he is a far better player than he was then. The Mavs have ZERO answer for Yao. He destroys Damipier and Diop and if they go small, he'll score 50.

12. dram1

dram1 Member

George's timely daggers were definitely not a welcome sight to Houston Pocket fans tonight.

But he was not the culprit of tonight's 4th Qrtr drop off.

It was REBOUNDING!

Played great D on the primary possession...O Rb...miss...O RB....bucket.

Do that enough times...not only do they get more shots which they will eventually make...but the Rockets have to keep playing defense which is quite the task vs. a Maverick team that has great ball movement.

T-Mac was awesome...he tried to destribute but no one else could make. He felt the only thing to do was do it himsef. He too tired out in the 4th Qtr...can't help it, only human.

If TMac plays only half as good as he did tonight, and Yao is in...we would need very little contribution from the rest of the fellas to give us a win.

But let's look at it on the bright side.

TMAC is f#@@ing back, we still play monster defense, and Yao will be back.

Dallas is the best team in the league...they were not going to lie down and die b/c TMac was virtually unstoppable for half the game. THey adjusted and forced the rest of the team to contribute, and they couldn't. It's ok though...we are just trying to wather the storm. Doing OK so far!

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's always disappointing to lose but there's 43 more games to get it right by whatever means.

14. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Really pathetic loss. No way we beat the suns tomorrow. In fact, i wouldnt even waste my time playin starters. We gonna get torched. Everyone is tired and you know Tmac aint goin off on back to backs.

15. mag

mag Contributing Member

I seems like TMac has reinjured or something. In the post-game show they just said that nothing will be know until tomorrow.
    Things are not looking good.

16. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

You stole JVG's notes made during game. ;)

17. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

This is how i feel today : :cool: :) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :( :mad:

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Only four players showed up today - Tmac, Alston, Howard, and Deke

Battier had an off night defensively and offensively - however he is excused since he rarely has these games

Head & Hayes have both been pretty mediocore recently..today just highlighted that when Rockets were desperately looking for secondary scoring.

Mavs are a really good team - any other team probably would've been broken in spirit when T-mac went crazy early in the 3rd and we got that 10 or 12 point lead. Instead they fought back and won by 13 points while we trailed off. JVG needs to start using Vspan, Snyder, Bonzi, as we've seen today a deep bench really helps.

That being said I'm happy with the way the Rockets played and we might've won if Yao was present

19. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

comments like this piss me off....

20. KGHossman

KGHossman Member

yea you're right, rafer's terrible shooting night resulted in him shooting 4-5 from the 3 pt line. wow!!! he sucks soooo bad!!!! We need to trade him for someone that can score, shoot 3's, make ft's, dish out 10 assists a game, grab 10 rebounds a game, and not turn the ball over at all.