1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there anyway the Rockets could get another center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jan 14, 2007.

1. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This is not a stupid trade thing. I just want to know if there are any centers anyone has heard is available. Nothing special just someone to backup. Maybe like Nazr Mohammed or something. Maybe an old center like Zo (heat are struggling). Something that could backup Yao when he goes out.

We have stuff to offer (obviously not ALOT) but decent. Sura's contract, Bonzi (cheap talent, lazy, but cheap talent none the less), maybe even Chuck Hayes, 1st round draft pick, 2nd round pick. Not a bad collection. (No nobody is going to take Rafer don't even start giving a Rafer for anything stupid ass deals, Rafer is stuck with the Rockets just deal with it).

I think the reason this would help is then Rockets can start Yao, Deke, Tmac, Battier, Rafer. Head, (New center), JHo, Snyder, Novak?, Lucas?, VSpan?? coming off the bench. Not bad. This would be good because Yao would have the Rebounder he needs next to him. The Rockets would have INSANE inner defense can you imagine people trying to drive the lanes... SCARY.

I hope they can get someone. Would be great :).

2. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

C-Webb. Center now, PF when Yao comes back.

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Webber can't play center (at least not for the Rockets). And he's going to Detroit anyway.

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

With the way Mutumbo has been playing, I dont think we need a backup centre.

5. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Rockets just need a stopgap to rest Dikembe right now. Should look into a big body from D-league.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The Rockets will never, ever, in a million years ever, start both Yao and Mutombo.

Ever.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Wells/Sura/1st round draft pick for Jeff Foster. Basically, Wells and a mid-20's pick for a quality rebounding, defensive big. He'd be a great compliment to Yao, and can split the center minutes with Deke while Yao's out.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Sure he could. He's big enough, rebounds well enough and despite his fading athletic ability he's still probably more athletic than your average NBA center. The only problem though, as you already mentioned, him signing with the Pistons seems to be a done deal.

9. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

the thing about getting another center is it would take away from deke's time, and he's been playing phenomenal. i dont think another center out there can play better than mutumbo that we can realistically get.

10. Prosun

Prosun Member

You are right of course, but can we really expect Deke to keep doing this until Yao comes back? I'm not saying that's impossible, but there's no such thing as too much depth.

I don't have a problem with acquiring another big C/PF, but DO NOT TRADE BONZI WELLS to get him.

Is Jamaal Magloire still available?

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

We just need someone with height and decent ability to back up Deke, like a Loren Woods or a Scott Pollard.

I can't understand why the hell you all are naming off players like Webber and Zo, guys we don't need and wouldn't be a cinch to pick up anyway.

12. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

Well since Denver is bringing in Webber, i heard they might move one of their 3 other bigs, McDyess, Mohammed, or Dale Davis. We still have a decent trade exemption as well.

13. KGHossman

KGHossman Member

Melvin Ely has asked for a trade. he is a good role player and can rebound, block, play defense, and pick up points here and there. plus, his contract (1 yr, 3.3 million) makes him easier to trade for. lets get him.

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Wouldn't throw that first rounder in there unless it were absolutely essential in the deal, but other than that I'd love to have Foster. Perfect JVG system guy.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What about padgett for calving booth or sura for steven hunter?

16. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Agreed! we don't need a center right know what we need is a starter PG and the idea of puting deke and yao in the same lineup is just for few minutes not for 30 some minutes, so it doesn't hurt to put deke in with yao without geting another backup center and deke has shown us this past 12 games that he can play 27+ minutes!! which we should be more than happy with and thank God for this cuz This will help us out sooooooooo much in playoffs!!!!

17. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I'm fine with Hayes backing up deke low post! when Yao comes back it'll be Yao/Deke/Hayes and i'm fine with this. I don't think we need another C. Again we need a good PG starter or for bench!

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They could simply share what Mutombo and Howard have been drinking with Kevin Willis.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You can't seriously be thinking Yao and Deke could play together. This isn't Akeem and Ralph, man. Besides, 3 games at the most before Deke knocks out Yao with an elbow. Just forget it.

Another backup 5 would be nice, but that's another thing altogether.

20. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Whats up with Raef LaFrentz? I remember he lit the rockets up like a menorah last season. 7-9 3 Pointers, 32 Points. I know he's been known to block a few shots also. I don't know what his contract is like, but I think he'd be a good veteran guy to split minutes with Deke and then maybe even slide over to some PF to spread the floor when Yao comes back.