1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghan Pilot disappears in W.V.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RichRocket, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Silk

Silk Member

and whats the profile of a "timothy Mcveigh" or a "KKK" member, or a "gang" member??????

2. Silk

Silk Member

if he was worried about them knowing it was a pilots license, couldnt he just say it WAS a fancy drivers license.

i dont think many people know about licenses like that.

and people drop semesters, that was what i was talking about.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Silk -- you're living in fantasy land, man. We know there are terrorists among them and they seem quite willing to bring extreme disaster on this country.

You don't think we have profiles for the KKK ??? or for right wing extremists??? Hell, yes, we do!!! And if we're in the midst of a situation with them, you'll see the same response. You've already seen that response. But, quite frankly, those groups aren't as organized, well-funded, or as vast as the Islamic militants who are attacking us today.

I'm confused...why do you have a problem with authorities questioning the guy if he hits those three criteria? How else do you expect the FBI and other law enforcement officials to counter this threat here right now?? Do you think that all the terrorists are walking around with bullhorns right now saying, "look out...terrorist coming through!!!"

4. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Silk: no one is saying "Shoot on sight!" Given the events it is completely reasonable to want to ask him some questions.

I'm also quite sure that once McVeigh was identified, they interviewed many, many people who had little, nothing or a lot to do with McVeigh.

The purpose of questioning and interviewing is not to inflict torture but to identify suspects.

Word had it that The Taleban doesn't do it with questioning. They already know the answers.

5. Silk

Silk Member

Like i said before.... leave it to the officials to decide.

your first post had a problem with him leaving after they came looking for him, you next had a problem with him leaving before.

people with flying licenses are not required to stay in one place the rest of their lives.

you still have no article, which happened to change 180 degrees from start to finish.

in retrospect... i can understand the profile argument, but given just that criteria, your post shouldnt claim "they are among us" for just those reasons alone.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Why are you being so sensitive about this? To me, this DOES sound suspicious. Suspicion certainly doesn't mean guilt though.

You 've presented a ton of "people don't have to stay where they are, people drop classes, etc." It sounds too coincidental but anything can happen I guess.

I hope you aren't implying that Rich made this up ?!?!?!?!?

Oh, btw, they (terrorists) ARE among us. It would be foolish to say every person of Middle-Eastern descent and has a pilot's license is a suspect. That would be ridiculous, and that is not what Rich is saying.

7. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Silk: I didn't have the facts straight but that doesn't change the circumstances-- which are indeed worthy of suspicion. In fact, the facts as they truly are make the whole case more suspicious because it seems like he knew what was going down days before it did.

Yeah, I had a problem with it because either story is worrisome.

Did I ever not say let the officials decide it? You were the one trying to portray this as the harassment of a likely innocent individual and a racial-profiling abuse.

8. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

I don't see what is wrong with making something out of this considering that the individual disappeared on that date.

I certainly appreciate the thoughts about respecting our fellow law abiding citizens who happen to be of Middle Eastern descent.

But, we need to be objective here and recognize that those who committed these acts were of a certain ethnicity.

If there was a terrorist attack by Irish nationals in the same manner, then I would not see anything wrong with being suspicious of someone with a pilot's license who was of Irish extraction...or whatever ethnicities of members of those who are suspected to be involved.