1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iran closing its border with Afghanistan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Sep 15, 2001.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

A previous post mentioned how a silver lining to this catastrophic event will be the potential unification of the world (I believe it was Jeff - but others have expressed the same thought). The aid from Iran in the closing of their border is another example of this as is the complete cooperation of Pakistan. I feel that the US has an outstanding opportunity to regain old friendships. We have a chance to "reward" those who help us. Most every country recognizes that this event could have easily occurred within their own borders.

Too bad that Afghanistan does not have television. Their citizens have not had the opportunity to view this attack.

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

wow. (in a good tone)

3. Timing

Timing Member

That is great to hear. Those who carp about American foreign policy in the region as a cause for this terrorism have not addressed the potential unification and new friendships that may be born out of this international cooperation from many diverse nations. The support of Pakistan and Iran would have been unthinkable in the past and apparently today it is a reality which is fantastic to see.

#3 Timing, Sep 15, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2001
  4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I heard they had a one minute moment of silence at their soccer game. I would have never dreamed that that could happen.

Also, the CFL cancelled all its games, very nice.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Is Iran closing its borders to help the U.S. or is it closing the borders because it can't handle all the refugees? Are they in agrrement with us on this issue?

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

This is a joke - the leaders of Iran publicly stated that the only possible suspects behind the attack on us could be Israel, leading a public chant "death to Israel". The leaders and chanters are obviously blind to the fact that Israel depends on us for a significant percentage of their economic viability since we are a large trading partner. I fear many of the Islamic goverments in place are going to spin this attack as an Islam vs. Israel confrontation and draw us into a war in the process.

By the way, I saw the footage of that moment of silence at the soccer game. They showed the players lined up and very light hearted as if they not only didn't give a damn, but were elated.

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Pippendagimp - One of my friends had the tape of the game. The players looked normal to me. You probably saw it a different way.

Iran and USA relations are getting better.