1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Muslim Cleric at Memorial Ceremony Today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Sep 14, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I thought that this was an incredibly wonderful gesture at the memorial service in DC today - Christians, Jews AND MUSLIMS represented. A very important and significant inclusion.

2. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Same thing was done here in the DFW area... Jews, Muslims, and Christian leaders gathered at the largest mosque in the area to pray together. Now that's awesome.

4. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

As some of you might heard everybody was incouraged to light a candle today at 7pm. I went out to dinner at a local restruant/bar like I do most weekends. At a few minutes before 7 they came around and but candles on everytable with a book of matches with out saying anything and then at 7pm everybody lit their candles and most were silent. I just thought that was a nice gesture.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

They had a candlelight vigil in Hermann Park tonight here in Houston as well. The mayor was there.

6. ScreamingRocketJet

Very nice news Jeff...

Thought you might like to read this also: The Dalai Lama's message to America.

The Dalai Lama's letter to the President of the United States of America
    Jointly Reported by The Dhamma Times & The Dalail Lama's Office 13th
    September

Your Excellency,

I am deeply shocked by the terrorist attacks that took place involving four apparently hijacked aircraft and the immense devastation these caused. It is a terrible tragedy that so many innocent lives have been lost and it seems unbelievable that anyone would choose to target the World Trade Center in New York City and the Pentagon in Washington D.C. We are deeply saddened. On behalf of the Tibetan people I would like to convey our deepest condolence and solidarity with the American people during this painful time. Our prayers go out to the many who have lost their lives, those who have been injured and the many more who have been traumatized by this senseless act of violence. I am attending a special prayer for the United States and it's people at our main temple today.

I am confident that the United States as a great and powerful nation will be able to overcome this present tragedy. The American people have shown their resilience, courage and determination when faced with such difficult and sad situation.

It may seem presumptuous on my part, but I personally believe we need to think seriously whether a violent action is the right thing to do and in the greater interest of the nation and people in the long run. I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. But how do we deal with hatred and anger, which are often the root causes of such senseless violence? This is a very difficult question, especially when it concerns a nation and we have certain fixed conceptions of how to deal with such attacks. I am sure that you will make the right decision.

With my prayers and good wishes
    The Dalai Lama - Tenzin Gyatso
    September 12, 2001
    Dharamsala, India

7. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Anyone who is not a terrorist is welcome...

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I have no words to describe the feeling I have right now :)

9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Wonderful news.......we must unite as a country