1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

V-Span about to get deported?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R0ckets03, Dec 26, 2006.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now this is wrong - Span was not a starter. He was usually first or second off the bench...even after Zisis got hurt.

He also, as was stated by Tauntaun, was not a distributor on just about any team for which he played. He and Diamantides played a lot together during the Worlds...with Span playing the 2. Span has always been considered a "tweener" and not a "true" or "natural" point.

As for turnovers...eer since they drafted him the Rockets have told him this is one of the biggest areas he needs to improve. CD has said this, Dennis Lindsey has said it. He has had these troubles his whole career, not just in the NBA with players who are not used to him.

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Why? I've seen him alot more than you and you didn't listen to me.

Also what is the true pg? Spanoulis played pg most of the time I saw him. I think it is safe to say when he was playing pg at those times he was the true pg. Now the time he was playing shooting guard you are correct he was not the true pg.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

I think DaDa's little pet projects are cute:

First Langhi .......bust

Then Oscar Torres ......bust

Then Griffin .......bust

Then Nachbar ......bust

Now his projects are Azubuike and V-Span

They are for sure gonna fail cause DaDa has cursed them! ;)

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I like my point guard to avg more than 4 assist per game or in Spanoulis WC case 1.3 a game, not to mention limiting turnovers. If you look at his performance in the Euroleague and his low assists per and low ass/turnover rate I dont see how anyone can see him as a "true point." Furthermore based on his performance thus far, I dont care what you call him, but the facts shown he has an extremely low assist rate and a high turnover rate EVEN in international play.

V-Span will not play significant minutes at the one or the TWO unless he eithers, shows he can shoot/score OR shows he can dish out the assists and limit the turnovers. In other words, he needs to either be Devin Harris/TJ ford (guards who cant shoot but can dish) or Tony Parker/Jason Terry (gaurds who score or shoot rather than dish) OR preferbly though highly unlikely a form of BOTH (ala Hinrich/ridnour/Mjames/) etc.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Don't forget my love for Yao before the draft....or Hayes, or Battier....I like good solid fundamentally sound players....

DD

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

blahblehblah, what an appropriate name. Eithers give him more than a minute to play and he will show you he is the best passer on the team and his assist have gone drastically down or send him to the NBDL. Also he doesn't have to play like all those other guys... just better than the pg's we have.

On a side note Vspan looked upbeat this game. I saw him cheering and leaning on Juwon at the end of the game. Whatever got him down is done. I hope he gets a chance before the seasons out. And indifferent to what others would have you believe this kid has heart and that is the one thing that I have seen from him everywhere he played. He has been a winner at every level and I heard someone once proclaim these infamous words, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion".

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am not sure he would go down to the NBDL....that would be a serious slap in his face, he is coming from the premier European league which is MILES better than NBDL...

I think he needs to stay on the bench and keep giving neck massages to JVG and possibly feed Rafer some moldy cheese.

DD

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sending V-Span down to the NBDL would be a huge mistake. Very bad idea. I believe his next chance is coming soon.

9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

LOL for your sake I hope your name isnt too appropriate to who you are. As for my own, it is a jest, a jab at the peculiar interest in posting on internet forums, when in the end its really all "blahblehblah."

Anyways, I agree with you that V-span has heart and I think he is a very tenacious player similarly to Sura. But the main point of my post was that he is not a "true point" but rather a scroing guard who likes to run the pick and roll and score. I've yet to see any indication from his time in europe or the WC that he is an amazing distributor or a high assist passing point guard. You may believe Span is the best passer on the team on what basis I do not know, but I'll take Mcgrady's passing over his every day of the week and sunday.

And in regards to ball handling, I would much prefer Macgrady's and Alston and even JLIII at this point than Spanoulis.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

.......like Stromile Swift and Malick Badiane.

Hey what's JJ Redick up to these days? :confused:

11. richter911

richter911 Member

VSpan is start thinking for a trade back to Europe,according a greek website.
    (sports24.com).It did say it unlikely to happen this year.But I think billy need to be more patient,he really has a furure in NBA.
    Here is link in greek

And here is the traslation using babefish.

What becomes with the Spanoy'li?

Assiduity: Ste'fanos Trjanta'fyllos
    Publication: 09 Janoyarj'oy 2007 14:04

More they constitute the summary of literature of last days round the name of VSpan. The data, however, are more concrete:

Firstly, the 24hronos a'sos has asked explanations for his not attendance in the last games. It has not got used the bench and sure... DNP was not what waited for when it realised the yperatlantjko' travel. For this and it spoke with person of administration in order to it learns what me'llej gene'scaj. It was the first time where the idea trade entered in the brain of factors.

Secondly, the Mpartselo'na already has approached the player. More officially from that has made the Panathinaikos, which should exceed also the "obstacle of" regulations. Finally it can use player that has fought in the NVA or is prohibited as it is in effect with the remainder international championships?

Thirdly, it is difficult the Ro'kets they leave the player to leave in the middle of year. The unique movement that they can make is him give for exchange, something however that does not constitute choice of Tzef Van Gka'ntj, but tze'neral ma'natzer.

From the moment in deed where Greek roy'kj (s.s that has e'rjsma in the public of Houston) has three-year contract, the things become still complexer. Specifically from the moment where we speak for prwtoemfanjzo'meno player, that will need still bigger credit of time.

Fourthly, the what it will become the summertime it is a different history. Know all that the Panathinaikos wants him he gives again the vest with the "clover" and consequently - as his last European team - he has precedence.

The "VSpan" wants ardently, however and Olympic, that - in between - searches and now regional.

Fifthly... are expected developments, even if still is considered more likely script his eve in the Houston. A'llwste the fundamental choice him make the Ro'kets and no the himself.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

13. elenp

elenp Member

Bill is reaally hard worker, and If he has the chance to take some more playing time minutes then he will show to all what he can do!He Is really great player!

14. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Too bad it doesn't make the same sense as the Rockets-Lakers war feelings, Ultra Lucas thread.

15. herson713

herson713 Member

didnt jvg say vspan was going to be a great nba player just give him time

16. Madman George

Madman George Member

hey guys

http://www.sport24.gr/html/ent/465/ent.158465.asp

The guys at sport24.gr contacted Houston Rockets Sportswriter Frank blanberry (not sure bout the spelling) and asked his opinion about Vspan and his lack of playing time. heres is what he said:

1: rockets are not looking to trade Spanoulis. their aim is to promote play him slowly because the believe that the will gain from him in the future. sure if a team offers a trade that will significantly improve the rockets squad the might considered it. they might.(ie prob not gonna happen)

2: i know for a fact that Spanoulis is not happy about not getting playing time but i doubt things will change any time soon. rockets are 7-2 without Yao and van Gundy is showing faith in his current rotation. Therefore things wont change right now.

3:Spanoulis wants to play and probably believed coming to Houston that he had guaranteed playing time . i believe he is a young player with with big potential. keep in mind he had a quick but successful career in Europe. he quickly got into panathinaikos and was successful with the national team. but it will take time to see the big differences between nba and Europe.

4:I believe his problem is in defense and that will always be a problem with van gundy as coach. we also makes a lot of mistakes something that troubles his coach.this doensn't mean that rockets are disappointed in him. they want him to stay for a long time at Houston. its a challenge to keep spanoulis from getting disappointed so he stays with the team a long time.

there you have it guys. sorry bout the spelling but i don't know who this frank guy is. hopefully it rings a bell with you.

17. blender

blender Member

Thanks Madman George for the translation!

btw Fran Blinebury is a sportswriter for the Houston Chronicle newspaper (www.chron.com).

18. roxfan_bos

roxfan_bos Member

Sina.cn.com said V-Span want to leave back to Europe.

19. roxfan_bos

roxfan_bos Member

20. anitasri

anitasri Member

IF JVG is objective and applies these so called rules- Jho and Rafer should not get much playing time.

Even with Jho's increased numbers- his defense is terrible, but no one cares as the bottomline is stats. Rafer is a prime example of what is bad about reading stats alone.

I have no problems if the coach has rules- but I do have a problem if those rules are waived for non-franchise players ( Only Tmac and Yao deserve that privilege)