1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buyouts for Francis, Webber ongoing, and may interest Rox.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Roxer, Jan 9, 2007.

1. KGHossman

KGHossman Member

the only player that was mentioned in this thread that is worth talking about trading for is melvin ely. Francis is not an upgrade from Rafer, and Cwebb is old and slow. Ely is a good, proven player with a good attitude that just needs some pt. we have room for a back up c/pf and he would definitely make our rotation. plus his salary isn't ridiculous so there is room for negotiation. Morey, make it happen.

2. Roxer

Roxer Member

what do u guys think the exchange of

Bonzi + Bob Sura + Pedget + pick(s)
    for
    Corey Maggette + SF + CWebber

of course the latter 2 are sign as free agent after buyout. :)

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DaDa and I agree! It must be a Vincemas miracle!

We're not going to get both, and may not get either, but I think either of them would be an asset to this team.

Francis is actually averaging fewer FGAs and more assists per 48 mins than Rafer, and needless to say, in fewer minutes. Incredibly, In about 700 less minutes, Francis has gone to the line more than Rafer. Their AST/TO ratios are very comparable, 2.15 (Francis) versus 2.20 (Rafer). Francis came back early and played hurt after the Knicks brawl debacle. He's a competitor, and at 6-3, 210, gives a little more size and strength than Rafer at 6-2, 175.

As for Webber, as far as I've seen, he's still a deadly shooter from the top of the key. I wonder a little more about him picking up defensive schemes since he's lost a step, but if he's willing to accept a role as a jumpshooter and high post passer, he could be a nice addition to the offense. 8+ rebounds in 30 minutes a game is still pretty solid. He's better than Juwan at this point, but Juwan has the advantage of knowing the system and chemistry at this point. Webber would actually make a great pairing with Chuck Hayes in the front court.

4. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

With cassell so inconsistent I wouldn't be surprised to see him sign with the Clippers ;)

Oh cuttino.............

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I agree completely. i posted the same thing about CWebb somewhere else. He could really contribute as a backup C as well as PF.

I would gladly welcome Francis back. He has his faults, but he always gave it his all on the court. At this point, I think he has matured some and realized he is not a #1 option any more. I think he knows he could win here. It would also be a good fit because although he would be the "pg", tracy will be handling it most of the time. Steve is also a much better defensive player than Rafer. I would hope he would take Rafer's starting job the day he got here. Rafer will be a good backup, but nothing more than that. Hitting 3s off the bench would help, but not throwing up 15 shots a night.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

If we don't take them, I guarantee the Suns, Spurs, Mavs or Heat sign 'em.

The guys that don't want to sign them for a playoff run at the minimum are boneheads. :rolleyes:

7. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

I don't understand guys here against either of these two, as long as they can still play over their injuries. It's not like we are paying even Alston's salary for them.

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

If Webber's 'post scoring' qualifies in considering it "mini Yao" like... Then no need... We got 'mini Yao'... Howard.

Webber's leftover talent = range shooting, passing.

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Come home Stevie. Finish what you started and win a championship with your boy Yao.

Stevie plays with heart and isn't scared of contact. He can also get you 6 boards a game from the one spot.

A question for all you doubters. If you had to pick a player to shoot 15 times a game near the rim. Who would you want it to be, Stevie or O-for.

10. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

Steve+Mac= disaster!!

:rolleyes:

talking about co-existance here.

11. Sextuple Double

I don't care what is career stats are. He's not seeing that now. You must be completely stupid to believe he'll do that or even close to it on the Rockets. Here's a perfect example, what are Vin Baker's career averages, I do remember him on this team not to long ago.

12. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Exactly! We don't need these guys joining the Mavs for christ sake. Steve would love a chance to come back to the place he never wanted to leave in the 1st place. He'd be back with Yao and this time he would have T-mac to take the ball handling off his back to boot.

No brainer. The Rockets need a PG bad and Steve needs a home again.

Welcome back Stevie! :D

13. windfern

windfern Member

Steve is a virus to team chemistry. NO WAY!

14. Sextuple Double

I can't believe it. We talking about washed up players. Somebody said JVG could get Stevie to play D. DON'T YOU THINK HE WOULDA PLAYED SOME GOD DAMN D THE FIRST TIME AROUND!!!!!??? :mad: He sucks, he is a DOWNGRADE, YES, A DOWNGRADE from not only Rafer, but Luther Head as well.

In this system, Juwan Howard is far more effective than Webber not because of talent, but effort. He hustles all over the court, unlike Webber. The only thing Webber has on Juwan at this stage in his career is ONE EXTRA FOOT ON HIS JUMPSHOT!!!! WTF is happening to Rockets fans these days!!!??? I swear they're getting more r****ded with each passing second.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

For the vet min? Sure, I'd take Francis back. I've seen him play in NY this year. He still plays like the same ol' Francis: overdribbling, forcing up shots, and little d. He just doesn't know how to run a team. But he took tougher shots than Rafer, yet finished better. And his 3's surprisingly went in. And he drew a lot of fouls and converted on his free throws.

Francis isn't good; he may just suck the life out of this team. But if he can take some of Rafer's minutes away for cheap, I'd take him any day of the week. It's not like we couldn't cut him at a moment's notice.

16. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Anyone who says Stevie wouldn't be an upgrade over Rafer is delusional. My pubic hair is an upgrade over Rafer.

17. Sextuple Double

ROFLMAO!!!! If that's so then we need to sign your pubic hair for the mid-level. Why don't you shave it off and put it on the scorers' table so it can sub for Rafer. You might as well place it in the post. I don't think anyone would want to post up against sweaty pubic hair either.

18. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Webbers Sublime interior passing will help yao alot. having said that, Howard is pretty much better webber in every Category now days anyway. Howard > Webber...

19. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

shouldn't the person who the pubic hair belongs to be better than rafer as well? or you don't want to put your own abilities on the table? :rolleyes:

20. Russell2000

Russell2000 Member

simply put, SF3 can not be any worse than Rafer.. not to mention he has great chemistry with Yao.

I really want to see them re-united.