1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the AP poll vote Boise State number 1?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDakota, Jan 8, 2007.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

With all the bowl games over....congrats to Florida, but there is only one undefeated team left.

Boise State.

I think the AP should make a statement about the lack of a playoff and vote Boise State number 1.

What do you think?

DD

2. DaDakota

Any thoughts?

DD

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Eh sure, but what's it going to do? It'll take a long, long time before anything happens.

4. DaDakota

But should the AP vote Boise number 1?

They are not part of the BCS.....

DD

5. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

no, unless a voter TRULY thinks boise state would beat florida on a neutral field. they shouldn't do it otherwise just for some kind of statement

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2724819

"we're open to a 4 team playoff in 2010"

sounds like they want to pee on our legs and tell us its raining..

hey everybody! how does a USC-Miami-OSU-Oklahoma national title playoff for the 38th year in a row sound?? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRREAT!!!!

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Florida has now beaten 4 teams in the Top 13 (at the time they played them), including whipping the #1 team in the country. Overall, their record against Top 25 teams is 4-1.

Boise State needed overtime and trick plays to defeat #7 Oklahoma. They're 1-0 against the Top 25.

Florida has better credentials, IMO.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Boise state barely squeaked by the #7 team in the nation (and even that ranking was highly suspect) with a team built on chewing gum and matchsticks.

Florida just dominated and manhandled the clear, consensus #1 team in the country on a neutral field and the Heisman trophy winner.

It's not even an issue.

9. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

if I were a BSU alum, I'd start making 2006 NCAA football national champion tshirts..

screw a BCS national champion..

10. KePoW

wtf is wrong with a 4-team playoff? that's what my #1 choice would be right now

don't tell me you're one of those who want a 16-team playoff, that's the dumbest idea I've ever heard. that is just way too many teams, it totally trivializes the regular season rivalry matchups. I might be persuaded to go along with a 8-team playoff, but it would take a lot of research and talk presented to me

11. Murdock

Murdock Member

Agreed... It would be a travesty to rob Florida after the schedule they played, and after dominating the dominating performance tonight.. There's absolutely no question that they are the best team in football this season.

12. KePoW

and yeah, I agree with vescey and sam, I couldn't f'in care less about Boise State. I've never liked underdogs and Davids to begin with. now if they ended the season as one of the top 4 teams in the nation, then that'd be perfectly cool with me if they went to a 4-team playoff. otherwise, who cares

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I am for inclusion of all schools that participate in Division I-A football to be afforded a chance to compete for a national title.

Not going into much more detail than that.

But when you deny them that right before the season has started, something is wrong.

4 teams, 8 teams, 12 teams.. 100 teams.. whatever.. just keep it inclusive and fair.

14. DaDakota

THere would be no ROBBING of Florida......the AP is not part of the BCS, they automatically will win the coaches poll and the Harris poll.

DD

15. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Florida would wipe the field twice with Boise State.

BSU almost lost to a slow and lethargic OU team. This fast Florida team would dominate.

BSU was a nice story but not a national championship contender.

16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

No, but Boise State should print caps and T-shirts, put up billboards, take out radio and TV ads and proclaim themselves co-National Champions just because they can and there is no true way to prove they aren't.

17. Major

Major Member

Easy to say now, but about 4 hours ago, everyone thought OSU would wipe the floor with Florida too.

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that's exactly the system i want. it eliminates the undefeated major conference team being left out like auburn (i can't even think of a year other than 2004 where 3 bcs teams were undefeated, much less 4), it doesn't devalue the regular season (losing a game can still knock you out), and it doesn't mess much with the current system. in fact, the week off and 5th bcs game make it perfect b/c you have 4 bcs games to play 2 semifinal games (making it easy to rotate each year), and the week off makes it easy to let the final 2 teams play. that's what i hope they do starting in 2011.

19. KePoW

right, but if you're an AP voter, and right this minute you had to make a decision based on the real world in which Florida and Boise St do NOT play, who would you vote for as the better team?

all I'm saying is that the AP voters shouldn't do something just based on some stupid philosophical statement. vote for who you think would win the game and is a better overall team

20. Major

Major Member

Oh I agree with that - you have to vote Florida based on their overall resume this season. BSU just doesn't have enough marquee wins. I just don't think you can say that BSU couldn't/wouldn't beat Florida if they were to play. No one thought BSU could beat OU, and no one thought Florida could beat OSU.