1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Denver thinking?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hottoddie, Sep 12, 2001.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Denver's a team on the rise & this is the last thing that they need to be doing. Rider, based on his past track record, will only cause chaos on the team.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-000073593sep12.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

September 12, 2001

Nuggets Interested in Signing Rider

By Tim Brown,
    J.R. Rider, a Laker washout after one season, is negotiating with the Denver Nuggets, among one or two other teams, for a 2001-02 contract.

Nugget General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe said Tuesday that he would consider signing Rider, a natural scorer with chronic behavioral issues.

"J.R. is a fantastic player and a good athlete with unquestionable scoring ability," Vandeweghe told the Denver Post. "Anytime you have someone with such physical talents, you have to look at that." The Miami Heat might also be interested, but the Nuggets appear most interested. Rider, 30, has a longtime relationship with Nugget media relations director Tommy Sheppard.

Rider, whose next team will be his fourth in four seasons, averaged 7.6 points in 67 games for the Lakers. He was suspended for five March games for failure to comply with the NBA's anti-drug program, and then was left off the club's playoff roster, partly because the team did not consider him trustworthy.

Vandeweghe said he would not ignore Rider's past.

"That is something we have to discuss with J.R. and see where he is right now," he said.
    Tim Brown

2. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

we got little to lose. sign him cheap (thats all we can offer i think) and hope it pans out. if not, let him go. besides kiki (our gm) wants to talk with him first about his past problems. but i have my doubts on whether we even offer a contract, and if we do, why the hell would rider sign with us anyways?

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

.....because AJ is on the team and he will get Rider to repent.

Mango

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

How can the antichrist repent?

5. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I'm just hoping he causes Issel to quit.

6. Nuggets4

Sigh, I'm really glad I have low expectations for this season.

<a href="http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nuggets/article/0,1299,DRMN_20_823153,00.html">RMN Article on Possible Trade</a>.

7. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Nuggets4, interesting.

I was struck by this line:

Vandeweghe said the Nuggets are willing to offer a conditional guarantee.

That's a funny oxymoron. :D

8. Nuggets4

Denver Nuggets - NBA Franchise

That seems to be a decent oxymoron too. Ugh. I'm so disgusted with this team. But hey, it's making me famous:

<a href="http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/articles/20010907/341858.html">James Lucas, Greeley, CO</a>.

:D