1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Colllege] Fiesta Bowl - Boise St. vs OU

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

That down knee thing is debunked here.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/srpHnRu-RW4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/srpHnRu-RW4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

2. Sishir Chang

No the laughing stock of college football is the Gophers. :(

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Great great game...I thought it was an amazing finish and very ballzy...I was rooting for Boise State, and when the BS QB threw the interception, I thought it was over, but man, it made me stay up another 45 minutes...

4. underoverup

underoverup Member

my gosh college football needs a tourney so bad !!!

5. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

(excuse us for being OT here but in terms of shear amazement and fun, The PLAY is the only thing that compares to last night)

You know what also makes that play great, Joe Starkey, the CAL announcer. I've been listening to him do CAL and 49ers games since the early 90s and he's really quite an even-keeled announcer. To hear him act like a little boy on Christmas day embodies what any non-Stanford fan feels when they watch that play. "THE BAND IS ONTO THE FIELD!" "Oh, my god! The most amazing, sensational, dramatic, heartrending, exciting, thrilling finish in the history of college football!" And that picture of Kevin Moen just before he plowed over the Stanford trambone player, classic.

Some final thoughts on the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. This was not the best game ever. But I have a feeling more people will remember this game. Why? Because this was a game for the masses, the type of game that makes a non-fan go WOW! I don't see how anyone can blame the Sooners. They did everything they could to win this game and that's what makes it so awesome. Boise State played the hustler. They simply showed more guts and outsmarted Oklahoma. And if that's not enough for you, they did it in style. Seriously, the only time I've seen so many trick plays was in "The Waterboy." Like DaDakota said earlier, this reminded me why I love sports in general, from TMac's 13 in 35 to the Dodger's 4 homers, a chance to see something I've never seen before, a chance to have a Joe Starkey type of moment.

6. Major

Major Member

Totally agree - this is one of those games with jawdropping play after play. And not just because of the performances, but the willingness to call those plays and the consistent success they had. They were trick plays in the sense that they were so unique, but they all had a purpose and were called in critical situations - its not like they were "let's see if we get lucky and catch them off guard" type plays. They were run because they fully expected them to work - that's what makes them so great.

7. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I wanna see BSU vs OSU on that blue field BSU uses.

8. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Boise State Highlights

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENwDDB0dlRk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENwDDB0dlRk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

10. Sishir Chang

[speculation]I wonder if that 2 pt conversion hadn't worked and the Bosie QB fumbled the ball to the RB on the behind the back hand off would this game go down as a monunmentally stupid move on the part of coach Petersen? [/speculation]

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Of course it would. But it worked, and thank God it did. It was brilliant.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

High Risk = High Reward... ballsy play calling on behalf of Boise State.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

8.4% Sooners. :D It was a great game, though. Could have gone either way. Damn, I missed it. :(

I agree with underoverup.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Agreed. As long as schools are getting eight figures for just showing up in a BCS game and seven to eight figures for the rest of them, I doubt we ever will though.

I figure you take the top 8 teams in the BCS and have them play during the month of December in a small playoff bracket. They can play each game in a bowl so it doesn't take away from the bowl aspect and then the national title game could still rotate yearly. The teams that don't make it in the tourney can always go to the other bowls games that really don't count for anything until next season anyway.

15. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

A top 8 tournament would make the most sense, but instead of shuffling it around to different bowls, logistically considering travel you'd have to hold it in one location so the fans don't have to travel to multiple locations. The good news is that you can do a top 8 tournament in two weeks, which would fit right into most people's vacation limit. It would take away from the bowl structure, but I don't see any other way to do it.

The tournament can either rotate between the BCS locations (LA, NOLA, Arizona, and Miami), or some other major touristy destination like Las Vegas or Hawaii to make it appealing for fans in addition to the tournament.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Just do it like the NFL. The Superbowl cite is nuetral, but otherwise the top seed is home. Imagine the business it would bring for the college's and college towns, that should be a big incentive for Univ presidents.

In 8 game BCS have the either the first two rounds at the higher seed's place with the final at a BCS site (like a College Super Bowl).

Or you can just have round 1 (top 4) seed play a home game versus lower seeds (5-8) arounnd December 18. Then use the traditional bowls (rotating) for the semis, and another BCS bowl site for the finals (Jan 8-10). You can basically use most of the bowl system we have.

Finally, if there is an undefeated team not in the top8 (midmajor), have them in a play in around Dec 11 at the 8th seeds home.

This system would be 99% equitable and provide a definitive NC.

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Just do it like the NFL. The Superbowl cite is nuetral, but otherwise the top seed is home. Imagine the business it would bring for the college's and college towns, that should be a big incentive for Univ presidents.

In 8 game BCS have the either the first two rounds at the higher seed's place with the final at a BCS site (like a College Super Bowl).

Or you can just have round 1 (top 4) seed play a home game versus lower seeds (5-8) arounnd December 18. Then use the traditional bowls (rotating) for the semis, and another BCS bowl site for the finals (Jan 8-10). You can basically use most of the bowl system we have.

Finally, if there is an undefeated team not in the top8 (midmajor), have them in a play in around Dec 11 at the 8th seeds home.

This system would be 99% equitable and provide a definitive NC.

1st, it was a brilliant game by Boise. I loved it.

2nd, I thought the going for 2 was clearly the right call at that juncture. I had thought on the tying touchdown in regulation they might. But they gave their defense one more chance. After OU got such an easy TD in OT it was obvious Boise could not stop them. Once Boise managed to score, they HAD to try to win. Their odds were dwindeling, and this way if they get the 2 points OU's offense never gets another shot.

18. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I'm trying to figure out exactly what it was you said.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the big question now is how good Boise ST will be on the videogames next year and if they will have all those plays.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member