1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Colllege] Fiesta Bowl - Boise St. vs OU

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

OU did ok for themselves vs FSU

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Pfister's improbable comeback in the car carry coupled with the razor thin head to head victory over Marius in the Atlas stones is easily the most thrilling finish in WSM history, not to mention the significance of him being hte first american in 24 years to win it.

3. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Yes, of course. Boise State would've beaten Arkansas convincingly. They would outplay Penn State and the Broncos would kick Wisconsin in the gut.

Even that oooooooooverrated team that plays in South Bend.

(USC, Michigan, and Florida? No.)

And laughing stock of college football? I'm definitely not an Oklahoma fan, but that's far from the truth. Yeah, they certainly haven't been clutch in recent BCS games, but they ain't the laughing stock.

The laughing stock of college football is, and it truly hurts to say it since I live here, but it's...Alabama.

For what used to be one of the greatest programs ever, the last decade has been an absolute nightmare. Plus, they're on the verge (hours away) from being turned down AGAIN in their coaching search.

While Alabama's facilities are now top-5 in the nation, the state of the program is still an embarrassment to college football.

=====

So in the end to some it up, Oklahoma lost a great game to a great team.

4. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

The game sucked with two mediocre teams playing on another. And some Stanford people maintain that a knee was down or there was a forward lateral. Of course, they fail to mention the awesome blocking provided by their band! No doubt, the greatest ending ever especially considering that it's college. 25th anniversary is next year!

5. Anticope

Anticope Member

What are you talking about? At least Oklahoma actually gets bids to these bowls. You act like Boise absolutely dominated them, which was maybe the case in the first half, but that was only because of the mistakes by Paul Thompson. Oklahoma took over in the second half, only to barely come up short.

You know Boise State dominated an Oregon State team earlier in the year that beat USC, one of the teams you claim would never lose to Boise. Get a clue, man.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

hell, i was playing the Wii at my friend's house from halftime until about 8 minutes left. now granted that's because i've really wanted to try out the new Wii control and play the Wii sports stuff, but i also really wanted to see ou lose to boise state, and i still chose the Wii for a while. even played guitar hero for the first time ever at one point (fun game, frustrating as hell, i suck). it will be hard for anything to ever top the final 1:02 + OT of this game (except the John Tyler high school game that i assume is the clip SF posted) but the rest of the game was just decent. but i'm really really glad i tuned in when i did. after boise's initial rush, they didn't do much and ou didn't really do much either. and there wasn't really much hype building up to this game, nor much star power.

those are 2 huge things that set a game like usc/Texas or ohio st/miami or miami/neb or 1971 ou/neb apart. usc/UT had heisman winners, all 3 heisman finalists, 2 storied programs, a 34 and 19 game winning streak, the biggest tv audience for a college game in 20 years, etc. then the game happened and there were big plays, lead changes, 1100 yards of offense, and a very good finish in it's own right, with a TD, 4th and 2 stop, and 4th and 5 game winning TD with 19 seconds left all in the final 6:42. plus it had the best individual performance in college football history. you almost can't top the hype/buildup plus actual game combo that that game delivered.

this was as thrilling a finish as we may ever see (and i couldn't have scripted a better way for ou to lose) and because of that one of the better bowl games ever, but it'll still have to take its place in line behind some of the bigger goliath vs goliath, national title implication games.

7. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

This is coming from a horn, and I must say it is the greatest game ever (yes even better than rose bowl last year). The game last year was awesome, but you've seen the giants vs giants story line before. At no point in last year's Rose bowl do you ever thought the game was over till it actually was. It was a great back and forth game but that was it.

This game is has the David vs. Goliath storyline, but after Boise jumped to a big lead, you just know OU was going to make that charge (think about how many games you've seen where a top 10 team was losing to the underdog, only to wake up and dominate that game). That interception to end the game was very typical of the top dog waking up and finishing the comeback. Except that this night it was different. This game you thought it was over and done so many times, then something amazing happens (furious comeback capped by a tipped TD, 2 pt conversion falling down, interception, lateral to tied the game etc) and it's game on again.This game, is just..... awesome.

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

dude talk about choking.....

"oh no

oh please no" :eek: :eek:

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well that wasn't really my point. I wasn't getting into the whole "Best Game Ever" discussion. I was just arguing against this game being a pivotal moment that will eventually bring down the BCS and usher in a playoff.

The way I look at Rose Bowl '06 vs. Fiesta Bowl '07 is that the Fiesta was better/more exciting from a pure football standpoint (that's got to be the greatest ending in college football history), but the Rose Bowl had more juice behind it, and was more compelling in a macro sense (playing for the national championship, huge starpower, Heisman rivalry, etc.)

So which one is better overall? Eh. I don't really care.

10. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

You guys all watch too much ESPN.

The greatest/worst _____________ of all time is thrown about way too easily.

What about Tech coming back from 31 points a week or so ago? This is college football and while it was a great game, this type of thing happens ALL THE TIME.

Doug Flutie, Cal-Stanford, Kordell Stewart's heave, Drew Tate in LAST YEAR'S Capital One Bowl, etc.

Then there were two amazing games that decided the national champion: '03 Fiesta, '06 Rose Bowl.

BSU isn't even the only mid major to ever win a BCS game and this won't change anything about the BCS.

This ends the greatest post in the history of earth.

11. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I would have been even nicer if that turd Chris Myers wouldn't have ruined the surprise by saying "I think you're going to propose to your girlfriend now". What an a-hole.

12. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

You obviously don't recall the game that clearly. Even the announcer was calling the game.

What boxing matches are generally mnetioned as all-time best? Heavyweights. Are great regular season games recalled over Superbowls, World Series or NBA finals?

The Boise game could go down as one of the most entertaining, but not one of the 'greatest' imo. It has to be 2 heavyweights playing at their peak... and those teams don't qualify.

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Man this thread freaking exploded.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If "great" = entertaining....this was towards the top of the list!!

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That was amazing....thanks for posting Sam....WOW !!

Do yourself a favor everyone and watch those highlites...wow.

DD

16. Lil Pun

I can't believe you haven't seen that video DD. It has been posted several times before on the BBS.

17. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Even though I'm a Cal Bear I will say that the Cal / Stanford game wasn't the greatest game but it was the greatest ending in college football.

4 seconds to go Stanford just scoring to take the lead and kicking off. 5 laterals, the Stanford band running onto the field while the game is still going, a flattened trombone and CAL WINS! CAL WINS!

I posted a youtube link on page 8 of this thread. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

18. Lil Pun

Here is the ending in case anybody missed it:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENwDDB0dlRk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENwDDB0dlRk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

19. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

So a 13-0 mid major is as good as a 13-0 BCS school (generally speaking)?

20. Major

Major Member

Where did anyone say that?