1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Colllege] Fiesta Bowl - Boise St. vs OU

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jan 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Beginning to end 2006 Rose Bowl was a thrill, but that could also be cuz I'm here in USC territory and the atmosphere around that game was awesome.

This game might have to have, not just one play, the best finishing sequences of plays ever. An obsolute PERFECT hook and ladder to tie the game, and it only got better

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

In all fairness they played a horrible Pitt team. Boise just layed the wood to the great "no excuses" OU.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

wrong, honk.

Sorry but great games feature great teams, great players, playing for national titles, which is why the three that I named (saw all three) were much better, IMO. The last five minutes of this game were fun to watch, very fun indeed, as fun as it gets, but ultimately it matters not who gets a higher AP ranking between these two also rans.

But if some weird history thingy is the criteria then Harvard-Yale is the greatest game ever because without it there would be no CFB.

PS, only 2 more shopping days till VINCE-MAS, January 4.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Goodnight

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what about the running back proposing to the head cheerleader?

that was the icing on the cake.

that was the icecream on the cobler.

6. surrender

surrender Member

Anybody who does not say the 2006 Rose Bowl is the greatest football game of all time is obviously doing so for the purpose of trolling UT fans! HOOK EM

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

This game certainly isn't going to bring down the BCS. In fact the so called mid-majors basically bought into the BCS by getting a larger piece of the pie (the Wac, MWC, Conf USA, MAAC, and Sun Belt split like 7-8% of the BCS pot regardless of whether they have a BCS team or not) and a guaranteed at-large bid if they're in the top 12 of the BCS standings, or the top 16 if they're ranked higher than one of the BCS conference champs.

I think it's a good compromise. These teams control their own BCS destiny, but it's still stringent enough (they basically have to go undefeated), to field a competitive team that should be able to match-up against a BCS conference champion; Utah in 2004, and Boise this year.

#187 m_cable, Jan 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  8. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Wow, this is embarressing for OU. Losing to some two bit gimmicky program that has to create a blue field and a home bowl game to get some attention.

9. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Hey look, it's a sportswriter with a vote in the polls!

10. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

OK ESPN News apparently doesn't know that there was another bowl game today apart from USC/Michigan. Their lack of coverage of the Fiesta Bowl is rediculous.

11. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

This was BY FAR the GREATEST college football game EVER

on FOX.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think it's still too early, but it sure as hell is up there.

I never seen the Cal Stanford game, and I don't think it may have been the greatest game.

But I think it may have been the greatest ending to a game ever.

The ending to this game was awesome.

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

The 2006 Rose Bowl was a thriller, but I think this Fiesta Bowl was greater. The wild changes in momentum in the second half were absolutely fascinating. And the finish was just too spectacular. The game-tying touchdown, the ensuing 2-point conversion that had to be retried twice because of penalties, the interception, the hook-and-ladder ... all in the space of 86 seconds, and the trick-play overtime finish... just wow. It was definitely more entertaining, if anything, than last year's Rose Bowl in my opinion.

14. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

15. SamFisher

This game destroys all of them as far as great endings go:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZHkABO0VwCg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZHkABO0VwCg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

16. SamFisher

Exactly. The 9th ranked team beat the 7th ranked team as a 7 point underdog. Not exactly the greatest upset in the history of civilization.

In fact, Miami was a bigger underdog (5th) when they beat Nebraska in 1983, which is up there in the holy trinity of modern era greatest games, along with 06 Rose and 03 Fiesta.

Really if you want to think of impact - that 83 Miami game heralded the arrival of the hurricanes as a powerhouse and ushered in decades of domination from them (and even carried over into the NFL if you tie it in to Jimmy Johnson's rise.)

In terms of sheer improbablility, Centre COllege's 1921 upset of Harvard is probably the biggest upset ever - or Temple (35 point underdog) beating V-Tech in 1998.

This game had a great finish but honestly during hte middle parts which dragged I was switching over to watch the Strongest Man marathon over on ESPN2 (also fetaured a great finish, btw - maybe even the greatest WSM finish ever)

#196 SamFisher, Jan 2, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  17. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I knew about this game, but it never dawned on me to look it up on youtube.

that **** was crazy. You work so hard to come back, only for it to still be short.

19. Murdock

Murdock Member

No, I'm not bashing Boise.. Boise doesn't have the athletes or talented coaching staff that Oklahoma does. I'm pointing out the fact that this is an absolutely devistating loss for Oklahoma.

Bob Stoops is forever discredited as a choker.

The Oklahoma program is now the laughing stock of college football. Does anyone here actually think that Michigan, Florida, USC or Wisconsin.. hell even Arkansas or a Penn State would have lost and put up such an embarrassing fight against a WAC team?

Oklahoma is vastly overrated and has been for years. They stink up the joint every time they get a decent bowl bid.

20. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

At halftime, I was reading my year end review Sports Illustrated article and re-living the Dodgers hitting four home runs in a row and then winning the game in extra innings on a Nomar homer. While reading the article, all I could think was how great it was to view that live (which I didn't), whether it be in-person or on TV. A once-in-a-lifetime moment. Well, college football just had that moment and I got to view every unbelievable moment. Seriously, a hook-and-ladder, a halfback pass and then a statue-of-liberty, with the pressure of having to be perfect! The greatest ending I ever saw in college football. Let's be honest, it's the endings that everyone remembers (or at least, what you see over and over again on TV).

And Sam, seriously, world's strongest man competition? Even the tension of super-underdog Boise State holding off powerhouse Oklahoma State couldn't hold your attention? That's like changing the channel on the 1980 U.S. Hockey Team vs. The Soviets to check in on Battle of the Network Stars.