1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Curse......(Rockets addition)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cody, Dec 26, 2006.

1. cody

cody Member

Talking with a co-worker and work today, who decided to rub it in my face the the rockets season was about to turn down hill, led us to talking about "The Curse", and the Rockets have it...... "we can't seem to catch a break"..

It's Karma... Karma for letting Olajuwon play for the Toronta Raptors to end his career. He did so much for this franchise while he was a Rocket. On pure loyalty alone, he should have been allowed to complete his career as a Rocket. GMs and owners are quick to give up there players when they are at the end of their careers. If this was normal players, even good players this is acceptable, BUT not the face of your franchise for 10+ years... The curse doesn't necassarily count if the player asks for a trade or has outrageous $ demands...

other team with the curse.....

Knicks - Pat Ewing - played for Orlando, Seattle....
    Blazers - Drexler - played for Rockets
    Milwaulkee - Lew Alcindor - played for Lakers

probably more that i can't remember.......

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

We paid Hak a $hitload of money at the end of his years here, and his skills had really eroded by the end of his tenure here. He still wanted a lot of money, and unfortunately he thought he could still play at the level that he used to.

3. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

if so just about every nba team in the league is cursed. Injuries are part of the game so get used to it. Ask seattle what a curse is :)

4. egierczy

egierczy Contributing Member

It is spelled "edition" fella. Do the math.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think that's the problem... he did do math...

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it was olajuwon who wanted to part ways. he didn't like that steve and cat were the first two options and he was #3. he decided to leave for the raps so he could be a big fish is a small bowl.

7. Roxer

Roxer Member

whatsoever, rox is cursed, 4 sure. :(

someone got to do something be4 it's too late.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

calvin murphy. give him his job back and the curse would be lifted.

9. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I'm sure we were moving in the right direction before we traded for Tmac.

In fact, JVG was also a big mistake. His first year here, regardless, we were going to make the playoffs. There is no argument here, he is a joke and always will be. I'm not saying this because I'm upset about our injuries or losses. You never see me complain and that I can live with. Mavs are a great team to watch and I have no problem making the switch. After starting the season 0-4 they have gone 21-3. Outstanding :cool:

10. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Spoken like a TRUE Rockets fan! :rolleyes: EMS :mad:

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

CBFC needs to weigh in here... I won't take any curse talk seriously unless it is confirmed by CBFC.

12. wtf_mailbox

wtf_mailbox New Member

yao only has one girlfriend, So he will never play for another team in nba.

13. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

hmm, i think hakeem was the sole reason why we were able to draft yao in the first place...WHAT DO YOU THINK?

14. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

If those teams are cursed what's Minnesota's or Atlanta's curse?

At least we've tasted playoff success. Things can get worse... much worse...

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

blah blah blah

16. underoverup

underoverup Member

how can a team with 2 championships be cursed?

17. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Hornets:Losing Chris Paul, Peja, David West can really hurt.

18. sun12

sun12 Member

The curse is that Rox does not have an owner who is willing to spend the big bucks.

The curse is also on the Rox who is not willing to set up a good management team including superior talent evaluation, trade evaluation and player development.

Compared with an organization like the Dallas Mavericks, the Lakers, the San Antonis Spurs, it is no wonder Rox is just an average institution.

The 2 championships in the mid 90s is due to the brilliance of one basketball player, Olajuwon, but since then, the team has not recovered from losing Olajuwon, this tells you the organization is just average.

It is now obvious that every season, T-mac will miss around 20 games or more, Yao will also miss around 20 games, the management has to take this into consideration and load up talent in other positions. If Les is not willing to pay big salaries like the Mavericks, maybe the team should think about trading T-mac or even Yao to restart the whole thing.

19. Pocket Rockets

this post really doesn't make sense.

how can you spend more money if there is a cap on the team salary? If it goes over then you have to pay double the overage (i think im accurate).

the spurs got lucky with their late draft picks in parker and ginnobli.

cuban is the only owner willing to dish out the extra cost because he probably has more money than most owners.

yes the organization is average :rolleyes:
    they didn't make the drexler trade when it needed to be made
    they didn't make the barkley trade when it needed to be made
    they didn't make the francis trade when it needed to be made

every team gets their fair share of horrible drafts.

where would you start if you were to trade yao? isn't he the centerpiece you would like to build around anyways?

20. sun12

sun12 Member

Haha, that's why I said the owner is not willing to spend the money, of course in this league, if you want to accumulate talent, you have to spend the dough and pay double, isn't this called spending money?

Right now, even Yao is healthy, T-mac can play, this team still lacks in talent, not to mention Yao and T-mac are not as good as Shaq and Kobe. T-mac is always a time-bomb with his back, you are not going to win championship this way.

Even after Riley traded for Shaq, he still traded more to get Walker, Posey, Williams, because he knows Shaq and Wade are still not enough. Miami is going to be in salary cap hell, but they have already won a championship.

It is not luck, one pick might be luck, a string of good picks are not luck. They are good at talent evaluation.

Knicks spend more actually, but Knicks does not have a good organization. Cuban is good because he is not only willing to spend but also he sets up an excellent organization to start with. If you look at their salary strucuture now, they are in much better shape after some years of talent. But in previous years, they have been able to accumulate talent with high salary hit.

Yes, they couldn't make playoffs for many years after the Olajuwon years. They don't rebound quickly, it tells you the organization is slow in recognizing things.

They don't load up on talent after last year, Bonzi Wells fell into their laps. That tells you the organization is slow.

If you don't trade him, surround him with talents, don't be like the Minnesota Timberwolves.