1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TRADES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FantasyGM, Dec 19, 1999.

1. FantasyGM

FantasyGM Member

The Nets might just be getting rid of Kendall Gill, afterall. The Rockets are interested, but only because Gill is in the final season of his contract and they won't mind babysitting him if it means they can use his money to help downsize their salary cap. Jersey is asking for Walt Williams and Tony Massenburg, both available.

In the aftermath of the Charles Barkley injury, the Rockets have been getting calls for Carlos Rogers, Williams, Bryce Drew and even Steve Francis. Out of the four, Francis is a lock to stay. He's the key to their rebuilding plans, which have been accelerated with the injuries to Barkley and Hakeem Olajuwon. The Rockets would love to move Olajuwon, but does anyone want a broken-down former great who will make $16 mil next season?

this Kendall Gill thing sounds great to me, we keep him for a year, if we like him we keep him, if we don't, all we lose are 2 players that haven't been playing for us lately anyways. The best part is that if we don't keep him, then we get more cap space to play with.........

I am all for the Rocks trading anyone but Francis and Cato on this squad, let's face it, it is time to rebuild, and we can do it a lot faster and better than the Bulls.

2. alaskansnowman

Yeah I would really like that trade. I know Wizard will come out of his slump, but how long's it gonna take? It's been like 20 game since he's gone cold. TMass is good, but he's injured all the time. We already have plenty of forwards/centers. Losing TMass wouldn't be that big of a loss.

The only thing that would suck is Wizard comes out of his slump and starts scoring 20 a game when he's with the Nets.

BTW, where did you get this info? And also, how is Kendall Gill playing this year?

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

nbatalk.com is saying this.

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Ok one thing I want to know if this deal happens.

Kendal Gill is a Shooting Gaurd. Dont we already have anderson and mobley. Because I dont think gill could be a small forward.

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

LINEUP:

CATO - 6'11
    ROGERS - 6'11
    ANDERSON - 6'6
    GILL - 6'5
    FRANCIS - 6'3

Now that is a running team.

6. CaucasionSensation

MAKE THE DEAL. MAKE THE DEAL. MAKE THE DEAL.

Getting Gill would be a plus for this team, as I see the offense at the start of next year looking much like the one we have now. Picks, screens, movement. Why?

Because my freinds Hakeem will retire. What purpose does coming back for another season serve. We have zero shot at the title this year and next. He'll tell us all at the end of the season you mark my words. The early injury to Charles I guarantee you already has him thinking.

Walt was the starter who was supposed to make them pay for double teaming Hakeem and Charles, and with at least one of these two gone, Walt's role is significantly diminshed. Not to mention we have the best percentage three shooter in the NBA at that spot already, by the name of Matt Bullard.

Walt is taking home 5 mil a year now. He could never play defense to begin with, never looked in shape, never could run the floor, never the less had talent, but now can't even shoot. Sounds like a glorified Matt Bullard for 5 a year. Although I know with Walt in his prime, this comparison could never be made.

T-Mass's role has been taken by Kenny Thomas, who plays very actively and has a good ability to score and shoot. I said ability.

Gill is another player in more your Anderson, Mobley mold. He's gonna get up and down the floor.

Francis
    Anderson
    Gill
    Mobley

If Gill doesn't work out we simply let him go at the end of the season. This trade is absolutely perfect if the Nets will do it.

*Bolster guard/ small forward depth
    *shift more into run and gun stlye
    *give more time to Kenny Thomas

MAKE THE DEAL. MAKE THE DEAL. MAKE THE DEAL.

[This message has been edited by CaucasionSensation (edited December 19, 1999).]

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

If we get Kendall Gill then we are getting one hell of a player. He can score and he has one of the best defense in the nba. If you guys remember he got 11 steals last year in one game. He is averaging 2.16 steals per game, #4 in the nba.

8. CaucasionSensation

What was that dunk he used to do when he was in Charlotte?

He turned sort of sideways and tucked his legs up under his butt. He'd have the ball in his left hand, you remember. That used to be a fairly smooth dunk. He did it all the time.

BRING ON GILL. BRING ON GILL. BRING ON GILL.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I've always liked Kendal
    I've grown to not like Walt.

Make the Deal . .. If need to throw in TMass. DO IT.

I like TMass but I ask. . . Is TMASS a greater positive impact than walt is a negative impact. I say NO.

Tmass = + 10
    Walt = - 15
    Net Result = -5

Kendal Gill would be AT LEAST a +5

That is a 10 Point Swing.

BTW I heard that William's Leg is still not healing right.. . . . They may need the big body of Tmass.

Rocket River

10. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

This deal is cool, first, it asks for our two most expendable players, second, it can clear some cap space, third, we will have a great defensive back court with depth. Ink it Rudy!

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I'd love to get rid of Walt, but giving up Massenburg at a position that we are already very thin doesn't make me happy.

Plus, I still feel that Rogers should get most of his minutes at SF, and minimal time at PF, because of his lack of bulk.

I just think adding Gill wouldn't help us very much. We already have Mobley, Anderson, Drew, and Francis who can play SG, and Anderson, Bullard, and Rogers (plus Walt) who can play SF.j

I guess I'd say I'm 60/40 against it, and all 40 is to get rid of Walt.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

12. SirClutch

SirClutch New Member

I live in jersey and see the nets all the time. Gill is a really talented player both offenesivley and defensivley. He led the league in steals last year and also tied a NBA record for most steals in a game with 11. He also has a great jumper and is a pretty good from long range. He also is great at driving and penetrating with the with the ball. He can score and play really good D. For the players we'd be giving up and the cap room we'd be freeing up, I'd do it in a heartbeat

13. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Once Dream comes back we got no use for Tmass. Dream, Cato, Kenny, Hamilton are enough to share the 96 minutes of PT, and Rogers can switch to the pf spot if needed. Tmass is not in the rebuilding plan and Walt is losing it. This deal sounds good.

14. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

good enough to deal w/ gill's circa 1988 new edition haircut?

ahhh.... anything to get rid of walt's cost.
    since rudyt and co. have 'coveted' his game so much, i have to wonder about their true scouting abilities... hopefully rudy just fell victim to the 'i remember it being better'... like me trying to convince my girlfriend that bolero was a sensitive movie.

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Kendell Gill has been one of my favourite players since he started playing and I love his game. But there are several problems...
    1. Gill hates playing SF, thats why he is b****ing in Jersey this year.
    2. If we get him to play SG what happens to the Cat's minutes.
    3. It still doesn't solve the rockets problems at the 3 or 4 spot.
    4. Someone said before the rudy said shandon best poistion is SF, well then why the hell doesn't he start him there, Shandon has started one game at SF, every other game has been at SG, which at the moment would appear to be our deepest position.
    5. T-Mass hasn't even played yet, he could fit right in.

Smeg

16. Chickenhead28

Chickenhead28 Member

I think it's a great move for the Rockets. Gill is a scorer that can complement Hakeem,Cato and Rodgers.Gill can also run with Francis,Cat and Shandon. He's like a poor mans Clyde.
    It's still a long season. Lets make the move and get over .500 by the all-star break. If that can happen with Hakeem healthy, watchout NBA. I think Rudy will make this work.Check this out:
    Pg-Fancis,Drew
    Sg-Gill,Mobley
    Sf-Anderson,Rodgers
    Pf-Cato,Bullard,Thomas
    C-Olajuwon,Ham,Gray?
    Cheerleader- Sir Charles
    Hey this does'nt look that bad guys. They look better than the Heat.
    Tell me what you think.

17. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Devin Gray is 6'8 , I dont think he will be playing center.

He will be the power forward. But I was just thinking of something. This is a weird trade. Say it happens. That means anderson will most likely be sf. Gill and Mobley will be sg. But at the end of the game, Who will be playing Gill or Mobley? I think by getting gill someone is going to get less time and I think it will be anderson.

18. DaneB

DaneB Member

No, this is what our roster would look like...

C-Hakeem/Cato/THam
    PF-Rogers/Thomas/Bullard/Gray
    SF-Anderson/?
    SG-Gill/Mobley
    PG-Francis/Drew

19. CaucasionSensation

The big question is -

IS GEORGE STEINBRENNER STUPID ENOUGH TO TAKE ON WALT WILLIAMS AT 5 mil A YEAR?

20. You Can Call Me Sir

One question:
    What about Mobley? He and Francis are the only reason this team has won 8 games. Aren't they the 2 leading scorers for us? Why cut back on his minutes? He has been playing extremely well as of late. Well, I know there is more than one question here, but these are all the things on my mind w/ this Kendall Gill talk. No doubt about it, he can play, but I think he would take away more than he adds.