1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Palestineans hate US - why did Arafat rebuke the act?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HayesStreet, Sep 11, 2001.

Tags:
  1. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

There are those that are saying this was because US support of Israel, I wonder why Arafat condemned the attacks. It seems obvious to me that this was not planned by someone wanting compromise. This was planned by someone who wants the peace process to die an ugly death. This is not the work of oppressed peasants on the West Bank. This is the work of someone diabolical and driven to create a wedge between the moderate voices on both sides of the issue.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I understand, though Arafat may be looked upon as 'leader of the palastinians' by most of the governments dealing with the area, the palastinians themselves have somewhat marginalized him.

Furthermore, Arafat used to try to appease washington by providing very friendly points of view in his public statements, when his private statements to palastinians were usualy much more militant. I don't know that this is necessarly the case here, but I do know that it used to be standard practice.

3. ArtVandolet

ArtVandolet Member

Arafat always denounces an act of violence against Isreal yet we all know that Palestineans don't like Isrealis. I'm not sure if he is really against it or if that is just a World Political front.