1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

greg anthony "MVP is YAO"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SunsRocketsfan, Dec 15, 2006.

1. SunsRocketsfan

Wow major props from Greg Anthony on ESPN says Yao is the leading MVP candiate so far

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-061215

1. Houston Rockets center Yao Ming (25.5 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 2.0 bpg, 7th overall in Hollinger PER at 26.04, Team record 14-8).

He has made the transition from being arguably the most important player in the league -- he's from China, biggest market in the world by anyone's standard -- to the Rockets' best. Yao's still developing which is scary but his impact has developed to the point to warrant MVP contention.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Yeah I saw this but immediately realized that G. Anthony had to be stoned when he wrote this article. How do I know? Because he called Dwight Howard the "Tim Duncan of the East". He's #5 on that same list if you care to read it.

3. prisonbreak

prisonbreak Member

Glad to hear that. As long as Yao can constantly play like what he has played so far this season and improve his leadership to bring the team a W even without T-mac, he really has a big chance this seanson! Go Yao!! Go Rox!!

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I think the current MVP candidates are all worthy. but in my opinion Steve Nash should be the frontrunner. the way he makes the suns click is beautifull to watch. i've never see nash ever force anything. everything he does is poised and calculated.

5. Impper

Impper Contributing Member

It would be a true travesty if Nash got a third MVP. Insert an in-his-prime Kidd, a Stockton, a Mark Price in that system and it performs equally if not better.

edit: I can't believe that Legler just called Howard a more athletic Malone. Just take away the Freak strength, the sweet jumper, the great FT %, the perfection of the pick and roll, and Howard is just like a more athletic Malone! What a moron

6. ClutchCityReturns

I'm going to have to call you on that one. Ewing never got an MVP. David Robinson got one but obviously wasn't the most deserving that year (I think you know who was). I can make just as much argument that you can about your guys, that both of these guys in their prime, would have the Rockets going at least as strong as they are now if they took Yao's spot. Here are their (arguably) best seasons in case you forgot how good big men used to be (I think we all do from time to time).

Ewing: 29/11 w/ 4 blocks
    Robinson: 30/11/5 w/ nearly 2 steals and 3.3 blocks

7. Impper

I was talking about Nash, not Yao :)

As far as inserting one of those guys into the Rockets, well, it doesn't seem as if the Rockets have a system. Lockdown D and efficient offense? You can say that about half the teams in the NBA. I don't know if any of the big men of the past would be doing any better than Yao, considering the rule changes. Yao is facing a stacked deck as far as success in the NBA goes, and if he manages to succeed it'll be a true testament to his greatness ;)

8. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

9. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

YAO 4 MVP !!

10. ClutchCityReturns

It's the same thing with Yao. He's in talks for MVP but if you use the "Nash argument" that you've presented, then Yao doesn't deserve the MVP because past players that weren't MVP's (such as Ewing) could probably have the team doing just as well if not better.

I know you aren't arguing for or against Yao, but I'm using him as an example to show that your reasoning for not giving Nash another MVP isn't terribly strong. MVP's are measured against the players in their league at the time, not whether or not past non-MVPs could do better in their prime.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Will this finally put the "Yao doesn't get respect" rubbish in the trash bin? Seems like some here were hating on Greg Anthony pretty bad a few short weeks ago.

Problem is, if the Rockets start losing and slip back in the standings because of Tracy's injury, Yao's chance decline. :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. Impper

Last year alone Kobe, Melo, Wade, Dirk, LBJ, and Brand (imo) deserved it more over Nash. I'll give it to you guys that maybe Nash deserved 1 MVP, but 2 is overboard and 3 is absurd. His team got bounced in the playoffs twice and they've shown no indication that they'll do any better this year. He's a major defensive liability, and a lot of players in the past were taken out of the consideration for MVP because of their defensive deficiencies. The only difference now is the media is engaged in a love affair with Nash and the high-octane offense he's a part of.

13. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I still don't get all the love for Dwight Howard. Sure he's a freak in athleticism, but he's so unpolished still. Heck there are alot of nights were he's a non-factor in games, which no "MVP candidiate" should ever be.

Either way, ESPN guys are all still idiots.

14. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i would rather take jkidd in his prime than nash simply because he is a triple double machine. too bad the nets don't have any depth outside of carter, jefferson (still mad at trading him for griffin..), and kidd.

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Yao is definitely worthy...How can you ignore his importance...

16. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

Howard was Dampier last night.

17. elenp

elenp Member

I don't know if Yao is the MVP but he is one of the players that he deserves to be MVP. He make great games until now this season. :)

18. rumcoke

rumcoke Member

where's mcgrady!? ;)

19. thehkmint

thehkmint Contributing Member

For Yao to become the MVP, he must carry the team to win games without T-Mac. Go Yao go!!

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Props to Greg Anthony? Sure. Tim Legler, however, is a complete moron. Yao isn't even in his top 5!!! Dwight Howard, however, is. RIDICULOUS! He must not be watching the Rockets. He must be assuming it's still T-Mac's team. It isn't. The Rockets are Yao's team now and it is Yao who is leading them to this record. Sure, T-Mac is better than anyone else Dwight Howard is playing with, but the Rockets have a very similar record and they are doing it in the West - not the pathetic East. Tim Legler should be fired.