1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best thing that could have happened and why...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FranchiseRules, Sep 4, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Nothing good could possibly come out of this. Positive things could happen despite this, not because of this. The team could rally together and come together to get to the playoffs. Rice will get more touches and be able to post up more, meaning the Rockets could have 3 lethal perimeter players in Rice, Cat and Francis. Eddie Griffin could have a ROY type season possibly. What worries me is the lack of depth, and it hurts rebounding, yes rebounding. I know people will say "Kenny will come in and replace Mo's rebounding", but who comes in and replaces Kenny's rebounding. We expected Mo, Griffin and KT to get boards, and now Mo's boards are gone. Depth up front is ridiculously thin. Signing Jelani McCoy and trading for Jahidi White HAVE to be priorities. Getting Moochie back in here wouldn't kill us either. Cato getting off his lazy, sorry @ss would be nice. All of these things falling into place help. Now do you see what kind of a gap Mo leaves!?

2. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

oh thats real classy - hoping another player gets hurt. comeon now.

the part that sucks for denver is you guys will still win more games. dice may get 50 a night vs the rocks, but itll be more than 50% of our scoring.

#22 NugzFan, Sep 5, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2001
  3. mfgarza

mfgarza Contributing Member

It may be good for Eddie as a individual because he will see more playing time and should speed up his development but for the Rockets as a whole it's a real negative. We're not the Lakers who have a Shaq and Kobe and could afford their 3rd or 4th best player missing time. We need all our weapons all the time to compete for a playoff spot. Besides Griffin at PF, now we'll have to play KT more. Nothing against Kenny, I like his hustle and his footwork, but he's too damn small and is always overmatched by bigger players on both sides of the court.Kenny has a hard time covering most PF's and finishing against bigger players.

4. FranchiseRules

Kenny kicks butt when it comes to hustle and thats what some of our other players need to see(Kelvin Cato). But, Kenny will back up Griffin who has size and will block shots.

5. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

The blessing in desguise is they are more forced to sign a guy like Jackson to fill the void at center as well.

Me thinks Rice will be used even more as a major offensive weapon, Taylor would have taken some of his points. A guy like Jackson, combined with Cato (as bad as he is), is a pretty strong front court to go with Steve, Rice and Cat's offensive punch

6. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Taylor was our 3rd, maybe even our 4th scoring option behind Rice.

This year could still go either way depending upon how much pressure they put on the the young guys (Griffin, Collier).

If we can get another big man to replace Mo and still allow Griffin to gradually step in, then we can make the playoffs.

7. FranchiseRules

I still don't think we need another big man to fill the void. Griffin is young and the best way to have him mature is a situation where he has to step up. This is that situation. He can do it and will do it. Stevie will show him how he covered the rebounding for that position last year anyway...then they'll bond....then we'll make the play offs...then we'll win the play offs...then we'll win the championship...then we'll thow a huge party....
    Can't you see...its a Blessing!;)

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

It was just a joke NugzFan! If you saw the post I was actually agreeing with you. It's one of those ironic posts "If Mo getting injured makes Houston better, then McDyess leaving Denver must make them better! Obviously neither one is true, but you know. Why would I want McDyess to be hurt!? I want Houston to beat out Minnesota for the last spot in the playoffs, but I don't want Brandon or Garnett to get injured.

#28 RocksMillenium, Sep 5, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2001
  9. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

You cant put that much pressure on a rookie. You are just asking for problems. Rudy T wont do something like that.

But, if he just takes over and dominates then he will just take the starting job and not feel pressured. How much PT did Dream get as a rookie? He played a lot didnt he? He earned it.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Try to spin this as a blessing is disguise? Franchiserules you sure you're not trying to establish a career in politics?
    Let's explain one thing. If Griff is ready to play this year he would have gotten his minutes wheter Mo was playing or not. Griff does have a bigger upside than Mo but that does not mean FORCING Grff to play more minutes will make him a better player or even maturing him any quicker. If simply playing a rookie made him better than every lottery team would make their rookie the focus of the team.
    I have no idea how Griff is going to do but saying because a starter gets hurt is a blessing is just plain wrong.

Not only does this injury hurt, but it hurts even more with the zone D rules. Mo could stretch the D and make them be honest. KT does not have the range of Mo and Cato well he's lucky to catch a pass for a layup, which will allow teams to pay more attention to Cat, Stevie and Rice.
    All in all, barring a trade, I think this really hurts our playoff chances.

11. FranchiseRules

I dissagree...if your getting paid to play in the NBA (rookie or not) you will get pressure from all areas. Griffin needs this to muture. He has responded well since he has had to step up as his family's leader and, if he feels needed, he will do the same for the ROCKETS!!!

12. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

doh! my sarcasm went missed completely. i thought that post went along with the theme of my other posts in this thread.

i agree - i wouldnt want KG to get injured either even though it might help denver. but if he "happens" to go "down" next "week" *cough, cough*hint, hint* it would be an "odd" "coincidence" "wouldnt" "it" "?"

(i might have over used the " 's there. not sure)

13. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

OF COURSE THIS ISN"T GOOD! Taylor was ready for a breakout year. Maybe he'll never come back the same...

But, Taylor will be with the Rockets for awhile. And we have both Griffin and Thomas behind him. The best thing I see from this is that we will be able to showcase Kenny and next summer he'll be a more valuable tradeable piece for a good center.