1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The draft pick Houston owes to the Griz

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Sep 4, 2001.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets owe the Grizzlies a first round pick from the Francis deal. I believe that the Griz were going to get it in next year's draft. My question is: "Is that pick lottery-protected for 2002?"

Face it. There is a decent chance that the Rockets will not make the playoffs with Taylor out for the season. While I still hold out hope for the 8th seed, I must still be a realist. I no that the only reason the Griz did not get the Rockets' pick THIS year was because it was lottery-protected (great for us since we got Griffin). But is the pick still lottery-protected through next year? Our rebuilding plans could be seriously affected if a potential #10-12 pick is taken from us by the Griz. Before Taylor's injury, I was expecting to pick somewhere around #18 or so; I wouldn't have minded losing that pick so much. But a late lottery pick is a pretty big deal.

If anyone has details, let me know.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is only protected top 3, top 2, or (I believe this is the one) protected for the top overall pick. I can't remember exactly which.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://www.clutchcity.net/news.cfm?NewsID=490

According to the Vancouver Sun back in January, this was the scenario if the Rockets did not make the playoffs last year (which, as we all know, they didn't) ...

... if the Rockets don't make the playoffs, they have the option of conveying a <B>top 15 pick</B> to Vancouver in 2002 <B>or 2003</B>.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the info, Clutch!

I am still worried that the information from that article is not 100% accurate. I just hope that, if we have to have Lottery Race 2002, it isn't all a "moot point" with the Griz circling over our draft pick. :(