1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Couple Thoughts on Mo and a Tidbit

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oeilpere, Sep 5, 2001.

1. fly75

fly75 Member

Disabled player exception is granted for the lesser of 50% of the disabled players current salary, or league average salary. If the Rockets were to get it, it would be for half of Mo's current $6.5M.

And I agree that the league doesn't dispense DPEs like candy- Nets were denied one for Kittles, who didn't play last year. And in the cases where the the DPE was granted for illness, Mourning and Elliot both returned before the end of the season.

And the Nets look like they are going to lose Jamie Feick altogether because of an injured Achilles tendon. These things don't always heal properly.

2. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Sorry man .... the reference skipped me and I have just now turned on my radar ...... okay ...... got you five by five and am leading you by remote .... rest easy and we will have you in the anti-gravity field soon ....

........ your positive attitude and low altitude is appreciated here at Air Rocket ............. we just think you are attempting to put a novice Piper Cub pilot on a 747 .......

;)

(PS: SA I have no idea where all that airplane **** came from ... I must be hypoglycemic .... bear with me .... need some lunch ... phones ringing ... answering emails left and rifght ... trying to keep up with the keeping on ... and I actually have to work too ..... check ya later .....

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Heck, forget about the quick-fix "patch" solution. I say sign Mason to a long-term deal. I wanted him on the team before Mo went down, and I want him even more now. The guy can rebound like crazy and is an excellent passer, plus, he can score when called upon. He's a great player, and he proved that last season by making the all-star team. He would look great in a Rocket's uniform.

Even when Mo comes back, Mason could still have a role. He could be the tough, gritty post player to compliment Mo Taylor's offensive finesse game.

What about Griffin? He'll get plenty of minutes by shuffling Mason/Mo/Griff around the 3 & 4 position. Granted, Rice might suffer having to play the 2 guard in this type of scenario, but so what? I'd much rather have Mason or Mo or Griffin as my SF than Rice.

I say go after Mason hard. He'd be great as a Rocket, both in the short term and long.

4. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

And just as I make some obtuse reference to airplanes and such ..... we have Fly come in. How ironic is that?

Anyway, Fly75

… thanks for the info, I thought it was the league minimum or 50% of this year’s salary but had some sneaky suspicion it included one other factor. Can’t remember what it is off hand. Anyway appreciate the update.
    One thing though, the league was criticized roundly (vast majority) by all franchises for some of it’s injury exemptions and the league office said they would be a little less restrictive in the future.. This could test their resolve to that position. I still think it would be long shot for MoTay, but the league may surprise us nicely. It would probably help if we were in a more media conscious market …. but then that was one of the criticisms last year too … the league ignoring or favoring some rulings based on market size.

Fadeaway

I agree with your assessment of Mason. But he may be too costly contract wise and he may have to be convinced to play here. But as I said I totally agree with what he would bring to our game. Kinda like an OT, MadMax and a touch of Zo's heart thrown in.

#24 oeilpere, Sep 5, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2001
  5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know some posters will try to twist this and make Mo look pathetic and weak, but I just wanted to say that this reaffirms my belief that signing Mo long term was the right thing to do. He has his money now, injury or not. The fact that he cried about this shows exactly how badly he loved this team and wanted to do everything in his power to help us win, and not let the fans down. How can you not love a player like that?

6. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

oeilpere,

I don't see why we don't go for Marc Jackson- is there a downside, even if he wants 3-4 yr deal wouldn't he be a better backup at the 4 & 5 than anyone we currently have signed?

what's wrong with having a guy that has shown more NBA ability than both cato and collier? I think Marc Jackson makes the most sense- he can play the 4 or 5 and he wouldn't be a bad person on the bench if we developed better starters at those positions in the next 2 years

7. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

You git it Raven. My assessment too.

You can't buy desire or love for the game. Can't buy the honesty of guy when he says: " .... I worked hard all summer. I wanted to be ready. These guys were counting on me. I can't tell you what it felt like to let (the team) down...."

Man .... clone that sucker and tatoo a Rocket on his chest!

8. Thanos

Thanos Member

Mason sounds like our best option right now. He can provide the scoring output that Mo would, and his rebounding and specially passing, with the new rules, could be a huge bonus.

I have a few questions as far as his character goes though, as he usually needs a tough coach to keep his ego under check. I'm afraid Rudy may be too much of a player's coach to handle a guy like Mason.

Some may want to crucify me for this, but I'm actually thinking that Mason, character questions aside, fits our current roster needs more than Mo does, providing the toughness we sorely lack upfront. Maybe the guy could even push Cato to perform... Maybe signing him for good is not such a bad idea after all. A 3 year contract would allow Griffin to mature without having to be rushed. Anyone that thinks that Griffin is ready to face Duncan and Webber is nuts.

OP, do we have a realistic chance of actually grabbing him? It's well documented that both the Bucks and the Sixers are after the guy. What could we offer that would interst Riley?

Sign and trade options are somewhat scarce as Miami seems to be scared to hell of falling into the luxury tax...

Damn. I feel for Mo.

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

What about OT?

10. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I don't think that OT will solve all our problems based on the fact that he is old and only a good pickup for the bench maybe. That is all.

11. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

--bigboymumu

Bigboy,

We do not have a deep enough roster for OT! I hope we finish all of our games in regulation! :D

Luv ya, Mo. Get well soon!

#31 B-ball freak, Sep 5, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2001
  12. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Time to start talking with GSW for a sign/trade for Jax? Send Moochie over, the Warriors get their point guard, Houston gets a jump shooter you can trust (which, in effect, what was Houston resigned -- and re-signed -- itself with last summer with Mo).

13. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Poor MO! :(

Did Cato ever cry about his injury? :eek:

14. Shandon Anversen

747???

...jumping back into my Cessna 172...

sometimes, sudden expected changes are the catalysts for greatness.

15. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Can we get an injury exepmtion for Cato in advance?

16. Band Geek Mobster

There's no crying in basketball!

[​IMG]

17. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Are you saying somehow Cato invisioned Mo dropping to the floor in agony ..... and somehow this will spur our intrepid Kelvin to new heights of ..... exclamation ..... expletive deleted ..... mediocre performance ..... ? Huh?

Don't get me wrong, I would live with "mediocre" at this point. Just don't know if I could handle "well below average" for another season ...

STOP IT!!!!! Just STOP IT!!!!!!!!!

I have got to get used to thinking positively about Cato whenever his name creeps up.

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

OP,

Have you heard anything solid yet from the Rockets end regarding these players? Marc Jackson, Anthony Mason, and Jahidi White would all be suitable candidates for a big man role of 20-25 mpg, but I can't help but wonder which the Rockets are interested in, if any. Are all three of these guys being talked about, just one or two, none, or do you have any inclination at this point?

19. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

The Warriors can't do a sign/trade with Jackson for anything more than around 500K. They can sign him for up to $4.5M using their median-level exception, but you're not allowed to use that exception in a sign/trade deal.

The possibility that has been kicked around in this BBS is the Rockets trading Walt Williams for Bob Sura, plus the understanding that GS will not match an offer Houston makes to Marc Jackson. I believe the Rockets would have to renounce Moochie Norris to clear enough room to make a decent offer to Jackson, so the de facto deal is Sura/Jackson for Williams (to GS)/Norris (to free agency).

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Swopa

Maybe they would be interested in trading Mookie as well. Seems like they are at odds right now with him.