1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Add Salt to Injury....Fegan Has Us now!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Sep 4, 2001.

1. The Voice of Reason

ALSO

http://members.home.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#16

check out faq 16 or read it below

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of the season. This exception can also be granted in the event of a player's death. This exception can only be used to acquire one player. The maximum salary for the replacement player is 50% of the injured player's salary, or 108% of the league average salary for the previous season, whichever is less. Approval from the league (based on a determination by an NBA-designated physician) is required for this exception to be used. This exception can be used to sign a free agent, or to create additional room when matching salaries for trades. When used for trade, it is treated in a similar fashion to the traded player exception. If a team is under the salary cap by more than the combined amount of their exceptions, or drops below the cap by more than the combined amount of their exceptions after receiving this exception, then they lose this exception. If a team is under the salary cap and has ths exception available to use, then it counts as team salary (against the cap).

If a player is disabled between July 1 and November 30, the team must acquire the replacement player within 45 days. If the player is disabled between December 1 and June 30, and the physician determines that the player will be out the entire following season as well, then the team has until October 1 to sign a replacement. If the disabled player comes back sooner than expected, then he may be activated immediately, and the replacement player (or exception, if it hasn't been used yet) is not affected.

Teams have had difficulty getting the NBA to approve an injury exception. For example, Danny Manning tore an ACL toward the end of the 97-98 season, yet the NBA would not approve the Suns for an injury exception. However, this exception was granted in the 1999 offseason to San Antonio, so they could replace Sean Elliott, who was disabled due to kidney problems. This exception was also granted to Charlotte soon after Bobby Phills was killed. A vote of the NBA Board of Governors is actually required for this exception to be granted. Also see question #17 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

Based on the above statement i think our being under the cap deffinately hurts us, but our winning the case deopends on the still un published severity of Mos injury. also it depends on how many friends Les and rudy have in the board of governors

conclusion. not extremely good. but the exception would be for near to 4mill. 20% chance we get it

FYI that page has lots of CBA info in it, a good read

PEACE

#21 The Voice of Reason, Sep 4, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2001
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

VOR,

That is a Coon FAQ, and you could also cite the entire unabridged version, as well. Now go find me an article about a team being awarded a medical disability exception petition. difficult, isn't it. The prove is in you finding an exception being awarded.

You won't find one because that clause which the FAQ refers to is not used for common basketball injuries.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

_C - Cato
    PF - Taylor
    SF - Rice
    SG - Mobley
    PG - Francis

Who is supposed to get rebounds?

Really, using the lineup I posted in my previous post on this page would not reduce our ability to rebound all that much. Certainly we wouldn't be very good, but this team was never a good rebounding squad to begin with.

Also, keep in mind, I am not suggesting playing lineup the whole game. Just in spots.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Man, I'm glad you aren't our GM right now Crispee. This has little bearing on our Moochie situation. If anything it emphasizes our need to get another big man(probably toward Jackson). Moochie is still a priority, but still can not command $3 mil/yr. If thats what he wants....go get it elsewhere Mooch. This injury SERIOUSLY hurts the Rockets chances at a playoff berth despite what many of the "less visual" Rockets fans out there are saying, but it by no means should be made into a state of emergency situation where we get locked into an overpriced contract for a mediocre player.

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Man you're right crispee I forgot about the zone! I still think the Rockets in the end won't have to overpay Moochie. I still say sign Shammond Williams if push comes to shove! Isn't he asking for something like 2 million or so dollars a year? If Moochie asks for to much Williams should be a nice alternative!

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

RocketsPimp,

Don't you think this puts Fegan in a stronger position? That's my only point, and that I'd be less willing to call Moochie's bluff.

If you don't want me as GM, how about coach. My other point is that we lose alot of offense. We cannot expect a Jahidi White to replace that. We could fix the offense at PF like this:

1. 2 guards and Walt, Rice, Center
    2. 3 guards and Rice, Center

both of those allows Kenny to hold down the fort without playing more than 30 mpg. But to run 3 guards, we NEED Moochie.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The loss of Mo means we need an impact player of some sort. If the Rockets could land an impact type of big man such as Mason or Jackson with Moochie's slot (~2 mill), I think they may be MORE inclined to do so now, than before.

I'm not sure we absolutely NEED Moochie. If Francis's PG skills have improved, getting a Damon Jones type at the minimum could fill the void, or we still have a 5 mill expiring contract that would look very attractive to a team dropping cap space, and a veteran backup PG on their hands. But, it does mean we need an extra guard that can open the floor up, and preferably be a floor general.

As for the exception: we could apply for one, but based on past precedents, unless Mo's CAREER is in serious jeopardy, we have very little shot at receiving one.

8. GarageMan

GarageMan Member

ricerocket - that 'dead NET' would be Drazen Petrovic, killed in a car crash whilst home in Europe for the offseason. forget when it was, 92,93? maybe earlier.

9. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Garageman

I knew there was one somewhere. Did NJ get an exception?

Didn't the Heat get an exception for the injured Zo?

An achilles tear would almost certainly be season ending, any doctor would say it is a 9 month recovery.

Me thinks critter is just being cantankerous. Moochie said he isn't negotiating with anyone else. He'll get signed.

We need a decent power forward/center. Kenny is a good backup and Griffin is a great young rookie who should develop quickly. My guess is they will try to land Jackson and White, although I am not so sure a 1 year deal with Mason might not be a bad idea, if possible.

10. Jack _Hammer

Jack _Hammer Member

I value your insight Crispee, especially related with cap issues, however, I don't believe, from a GM's perspective, that CD should focus on resigning Moochie Norris to offset our loss. Running a three-guard set in Mo's absence would only further prolong their team chemistry by learning a one year system. Does that make sense financially? I love Moochie, his steady leadership, his heady plays, fearlessness, and damnit he's cooler than the other side of the pillow, but to pay him more than $3 million for a backup role, when our frontline is THINNNNNNNNN isn't an effective plan in my opinion. Do we want the reputation of a, dare I say, more cost-conscious New York Knicks?

Even if CD did take your stance and resigned Moochie as a result of Mo's unfortunate injury.... What kind of precedent would that set? Have a freak injury, hold out a little longer, and watch the Rocket's management panic? I don't think so. We try acquiring Anthony Mason (if he is wanted by our team, and he is financially feasible) or possibly even Scott Williams. I know for a fact that Miami and Milwaukee are, or had been, looking for a third party to help facilitate their trade.

Mo is a great loss. Signing Mooch for anything significantly higher than what was originally budgeted is flat out not smart.