1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is the worst draft pick ever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TedRuxpin, Sep 3, 2001.

1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

To add to my argument, here are some stats:(Important to some, Meaningless to others)

Lewis-14.8 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.17 spg, .58 bpg, 1.65 to, 2.4 PF
    Percentages:FG-48 3-43 FT-.826

McGrady-15.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.14 spg, 1.9 bpg, 2.6 TO's, 2.5 PF
    Percentages:FG-45 3-28 FT-70

These are both third-season stats.

Both players were young guys who were still on the "Star Bubble"

Both had a guy at one of the guard spots taking more than 20 shots game.

Both had some obvious strengths in their games
    T-Mac-Scoring, Rebounding, Court Vision, Overall Defense, Athleticism
    Lewis-Scoring, Shooting, Rebounding, Athleticism, Control, and Overall Defense(Although not as spectacular as McGrady's)

Both had obvious holes in their games.
    McGrady-Shooting, Dribbling(To an extent)
    Lewis-Dribbling(To a much larger extent)

While, it sounds as if I expect Lewis to have a breakout season next season(ALA McGrady), I don't.

I just used McGrady as an example because of a couple similarities.(Both High-school to NBA players, both had weaknesses, both had a backcourt player taking more than his share of the shots)

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

No, accoring to that quote(From what I understood), Lewis would have been involved in the deal to Vancouver for Francis.

3. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

By the Rockets: Lee Johnson, picked in the first round by Ray Patteson; played 10 games or so; 17 career points. I believe he was from East Texas State. Seven-footer/ 6' 11".

In the NBA: LaRue Martin. Wasn't he picked #1 overall by Portland? Only lasted a couple of years in the league.

#63 RichRocket, Sep 4, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2001
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The worst Rocket first round pick ever was Lee Johnson. This was before first round picks were guaranteed contracts. The Rockets purposely picked a player that was not good enough to make the squad. The decision was made by the owners who were in the process of selling the team.

5. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Sheesh --- He is a rookie. At least all the other players mentioned here had the opportunity to play before proclaimed a dud. Let the guy play a season before getting on him.

Then we'll see.

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Cat: sorry, to take so long to get respond. I was having trouble accessing the site from Monday morning to now. I should have known better not to argue with someone who's into stats like you. :) You're right, but my point is that Rhodes was someone that not only the magazines and sport sites said would go undrafted, but I believe most NBA personnel from around the league were absolutely shocked when the Rockets selected him. Maybe my statement of saying that he was the runner-up was drastic, but his selection did raise a lot of eyebrows. BTW - Whatever happened to my choice, John Turner?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. Why can't anyone spell Mirsad Turkcan correctly? Is it really so foreign as all that?

2. I think Swopa found the winner on this question. A #1 overall who lasted 4 years playing only a handful of minutes and had a piss-poor FG% in the 70s is pathetic.

3. Griffin was acuired with picks #13, #18, and #23. The #13 was our own. The #18 was given to us by Orlando to complete the Don McLean (that is, Steve Francis) trade after we bribed them by swapping #22 for #23. That #22 came from Milwaukee when we traded our own #9 for #15 and a future #1. The pick we got for Turkcan did not play a part.

We did trade the Turkcan pick (Detroit's #1 we got from Philly) for Terence Morris, however. If Terence Morris came out the same year Turkcan did, would he have been worth that #18 pick? That's essentially the trade we made.

http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/nba-daily/draft01.txt

8. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

...........WORD.........

9. man532

man532 Member

Bryce Drew no doubt, we had 3 picks and could have had Rashard (Seattle), Slow, no handles, and plays no D. Will be out of the league in a year or 2.

10. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

D@mn you make him sound like Dan Lanky.:D

11. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

But not as pathetic as a journeyman center selected right before Bill Russell - Sihugo Green.

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Comparing the stats of Lewis and McGrady doesn't tell the entire tale. McGrady is also and athletic, tenacious defender, outstanding ball-handler for someone his size, a proven go-to player, and pretty good passer. Lewis will be good, MAYBE he will be a star, I don't know. But I never saw the big deal with people being upset because the Rockets passed over him other then the fact that he is from Houston.

13. Griffin33

Griffin33 Member

JIM MCLLVAINE

14. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

WORST ROCKET DRAFT PICK=EDDIE GRIFFIN!!!! :mad:

;)