1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toys R Us and Wii Conspiracy!!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bobblehead, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

This REALLY sucks.

A co-worker who is desperatly wanting to purchase a Wii found two yesterdy at Toys R Us. Now he already owns "Legend of Zelda" for the Wii...just couldn't find a system until last night.

Here is what then happened after finding 2 systems at Toys R Us.

He was going to buy both available and sell one on Ebay.
    He was told there is a limit of one Wii system per customer so one was put back. No big deal.

Here is the clincher. He was asked what 3...yes THREE games he wanted with it. He said he only wanted the system since he already owned a game.
    They told him you HAVE to purchase THREE games at $50 a pop.
    So the system goes from $250 to $400.
    There was no sign...no disclaimer...NOTHING.
    If Nintendo packaged it that way that is one thing.
    But the Wii had a sticker that said $250.

He complained to the manager and took the problem all the way to Corporate where he was told "That's just the way it is." He has filed a formal complaint with Toys R Us that will nmost likely get him nothing.

I don't think this is a Nintendo issue..I think it's Toys R Us sticking to the consumer.

I just think that SUX!!!!!

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

who would buy a Wii on Ebay for more than retail?

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Almost every store is doing this. They're calling them "bundles." For instance, there's a Wii sports bundle that comes with three sports games, and a kids bundle that comes with three kiddy games. They also include extra controller's and stuff, so a lot of the "bundles" come out to over $500.

It's kind of shady. They know people really want the system, so they force the consumers to buy extra accessories with it. Pretty crappy, but if people are paying for it...

4. B

B Contributing Member

CompUSA made people buy a 40+" TV if they wanted to get a PS3. $150 worth of games doesn't seem bad compared to that. I don't think that is much to ask for someone who plans on actually using the system and instead of selling it on ebay.

If they didn't have the 3 game requirement I'm sure your friend wouldn't have even seen the system in the store. And the other nice thing about this deal compared to others is that you get to pick the 3 games.

5. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

I guess you are right. But I guess he was taken aback because there was no sign or anything. Look...idiots are spends big bucks on Ebay...if I could go out and afford 10 PS3..mark them up 25%-50% and sell it on Ebay I would. That's just good business.

6. tested911

tested911 Member

Over 5,000 people have done so allready? Just like the ps3... These people can't wait 3 months and buy one at retail price..

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

That's ok. I plan on buying my Xbox Premium 360 today for $199 at Microcenter.

8. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

The exact same thing happened with the Xbox 360. Toys R Us and Best Buy were the worst. My friend waited all night for a 360 on launch day expecting to spend about $430 for the premium system. He was then notified they were only selling bundles and he HAD to purchase the other items. He spent a total of $650. Toys R Us was doing this exact same thing. What your friend should have done is purchase the system and games then return the games the next day.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

that's really damn lame.

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

According to GS/eBay...
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6162338.html
    ...more Wiis were sold on eBay (26,708 after launch, 29,452 preorders prior to launch) than the PS3 (14,675 and 28,233). Don't quite understand that one, especially since the average price for the Wii on eBay was like $410-$430 (compared to $1,186 and $1,370 for the PS3).

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Wait, how?

I thought it was $399 - $100 rebate = $299.

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I think that if there's only 2 left, it's "lame" to buy both for a profit when there are plenty of people who actually want to play it. Launch seasons always bug me.

13. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

I'll go to my local Toy's R US and check it out. Hmmm, maybe I should first find out what a damn Wii is. lol

14. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This is really old news... they did the same thing with the Saturn, same thing when the PS2 came out, same thing with the original XBOX... it's common practice. The companies are making very little on the systems themselves, it's the games that are profit for them... they're just assuring some early returns for themselves.

15. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

all your friend has to do is buy the whole bundle and then turn around and return the unwanted items for your refund.. How hard could that be???

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I read where Sony was losing $250 on every PS3, but they more than expected to make it up in game sales.

17. TracyMcCrazyeye

sign up for the microcenter credit card and you get $100 off purchases of $399 and more. so that's a grand total of $199 for the premium. i wished i had found this our earlier..i bought the premium w/ only the rebate. o wells, still a good deal.

18. unt2003

unt2003 Member

They didn't make you buy a 40" TV. The deal was done the week before the PS3 was released and it was if you bought a 40" or higher TV you could reserve a PS3.

19. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You don't think the people who buy it on Ebay will play it?

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

This plus, fear of glitches in intial shipments, is why I'm just going to wait until Feb/Mar to pick up a Wii/PS3.

Evan