1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football]Texas A&M @ University of Texas - Austin

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by percicles, Nov 22, 2006.

1. AggieRocketFan96

It's right here!!!!

Seriously, sorry to see mccoy down like that. the late hit was inexcusable but he got ejected. McCoy's a helluva a player.

But damn, its good for the Aggies to get a win!

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i hate the aggies, but not moreso after today, they won fair and square. however, and this may sound whiny, but i think the longhorns just haven't been looking right. they lost more than they were beaten. if the longhorn talent had been clicking on all cylinders this would not have been a contest.

3. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Sounds cocky. Any a little bit whiny.

4. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

...but true ;)

5. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

i know that genius

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i know i'm a bit late to the party but you're letting your UT pride cloud your judgement. the play isn't over until the whistle blows. as soon as the aggie intercepted teh ball, everyone on the UT side is now a defender. what is Heard supposed to do? just let McCoy tackle the ball carrier? that hit was made as soon as the interception was made. should have been no penalty. i will say it was a vicious hit though.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

lol, butthurt much? you know they played in Austin right?

8. Molotov Cocktail

Molotov Cocktail Contributing Member

Well, one of those three INT's was on a sack where the ball just came loose...it looked more like a fumble to me. I'll admit that I wasn't expecting McCoy to do much this season, between being a freshman and having to follow in VY's footsteps, but the kid proved me and a lot of other folks wrong. He's a gamer. He's just as important to UT as McGee is to A&M. Doesn't detract though that he was off all day. A&M's defense isn't THAT good.

I was fully expecting UT to win this game, and for A&M to finally break the streak next year at Kyle. But when Dodge took down Melton on that 4th down, I knew A&M wasn't going to lay down and die like a lot of Horn fans figured they would. Then when they went into the half up 6-0, I started to believe it could happen.

I will say this...if Darnell can somehow turn that defense into even a shadow of the Wrecking Crew, the Aggies will be a force next year.

This year, even A&M's wins came with a lot of criticism; just see the Army game. It felt damn good to flat-out win this one.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

no it's just truthful. texas has not been the same since colt got hurt. that's the bottom line. he turned into the heart of the team really quickly. our run defense SHOULD HAVE dismembered a&m...but they didn't. further, you can't deny texas has more talent.

...but all that is unimportant. a&m deserved to win and they were clearly the better team today. texas got flat out beat at the game we are supposed to be best at, run defense. our defense has been inconsistent and a&m embarrassed us at home.

finally, colt needs to be shut down. there is no reason to play him and get him hurt more in a bowl game.

10. Molotov Cocktail

Molotov Cocktail Contributing Member

I don't suppose you're Boozing Ag over on the TexAgs boards are you?

11. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Good Game, Aggies.

Before the emergence of Colt McCoy, this season was supposed to be a rebuilding year. With Colt being hurt, the rebuilding came to life. You can't fault a Longhorn defense that keeps the Aggies to 12 points. You have to credit the Aggies for stopping the run and forcing us to beat them with a gimpy freshman QB.

In the end, the Aggies put together an 8 minute amazing drive that sealed the game. Too bad the (unnecessary) dirty plays at the end will always tarnish the win. The Horns are no longer in the drivers seat for the Big XII game (which we could easily lose if Colt is still hurt, even if OSU beats OU), and all the Aggies get is a meaningless win and hopefully a nice contract extension for Good Ol' Fran. That would be awesome! Besides, I didn't want to see Texas play Boise State, even if it was a BCS Bowl Game.

12. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Mack Brown is partially to blame for this loss. He started Colt who was obviously not 100% and some of his throws looked just awful. And going for that 4th down in the 1st qtr. They could have gotten 3 points, but instead they turned it over on downs and the Aggies went down and scored their first touchdown immediately afterwards.

Without VY to bail him out, Mack Brown is an average coach at best.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The guy led with his helmet into Colt's earhole while he was unstrapping his helmet, its hard to say whether the hit was made as soon as the interception was made, if it was, I don't think the ref makes the call but he did.

As for the 2 hits on Colt, Heard's hit was uncalled for but the refs caught it and made the right decision, further punishment isn't needed IMO. The last hit on Colt wasn't late, whether he was leading with his helmet is the question but a good hit none the less.

The biggest call was the offensive pass interference on Sweed. Yes Sweed had pushed off on his helmet but the defender had his hands all over Sweed before that. Like the commentators said, probably should have been a no call, both players were initiating contact. The official in front of the play didn't throw his flag.

The Aggies played one hell of a game, especially on the defensive side. It's a real shame Colt had to end his season with 2 injuries. We'll be okay though, we will hopefully still bring the #1 recruiting class in and come back strong next season. Its so hard to repeat Championships and teams usually don't have flawless seasons after them (Florida, Miami, OU, Nebraska, LSU, etc...).

14. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

my butt is fine, im not in the core, and yes i was in austin for the game

15. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

hey jgreen what do you want my sig to say- I'll put it there for a month starting today- ending on Christmas Eve - since you like to call me out and stuff like a grown ass man.

16. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

let me know what ya want, starts today ends in a month, congrats

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Well, in my amateur opinion, it wasn't that surprising that A&M was able to run the ball. Some success should have been expected, not 217 yards worth of rushing, but something good. The only thing A&M has been able to do consistently all year was run the ball. And they've done it against crap teams and decent teams all the same. McGee has been hit and miss all year with his passes, so I'm sure UT knew A&M was going to run, run, run.

I think it was just the schemes. UT successfully shut down A&M drives most of the day. It was just those 2 big drives, the one to start and the one to finish. It's easier said than done to try to stop McGee, Lane, and Goodson. They're all very talented runners with great combinations of speed, strength, and agility. A&M ran diversions on every single play, according to the Paul McGuirre, and I saw it too. They would fake left, and hand it right; fake in, run left, end around, all sorts of stuff. The players could have read stuff better for UT, or I guess the coaches could have totally sold out vs the run and leave corners on an island. Other teams have done that to A&M and gotten away with it because McGee can't hit the deep ball with consistency.

I must admit there has to be something wrong with McCoy though. A&M's D has been pretty crappy all year. If they're stopping the run, then any legit QB can drop a deep bomb on them. If they're geared to stopping the pass, running backs have had field days. Heck, the Ags can't stop the pass even if they tried. I don't think the pass D just suddenly got better today, so there had to be something messed up with McCoy. A&M's D has played well in spurts, but never for a whole game like that.

I hope both teams make good bowls and beat whoever they face.

Gig'em

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

what are you talking about? you say someone's UT pride is clouding their judgment and then post this. it's not like they just called a 15 yard penalty, they felt it was bad enough that they actually kicked the guy out of the game. it was hardly some questionable call. the guy who picked him off was tackled immediately. mccoy was already unstrapping his helmet which he wouldn't have done as soon as the interception happened. it would've only been after he saw the guy was down and the play was done (who is going to unstrap their helmet mid-play?). then the guy comes in a while after that and earholes him. i don't see how you can question it.

19. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Great win for the good guys today! The Longhorns played hard and there's no reason to hang your head in shame. It was evident that Colt wasn't 100%.

A great effort today by Texas A&M. The hit by Heard on McCoy was absolutely uncalled for. Fran needs to discipline Heard extensively for that. There's no point in wearing Maroon glasses when it comes to that. I assure you that we would be up in arms as well if the same hit was made on McGee. However, the Bennett hit was totally legit. Mack has no reason to whine and cry over that one.

This game was bittersweet. With this win, the Aggies just needed to beat Oklahoma to be in the Big XII Championship game. That 1 point loss stings even more now.

I'm very proud of Fran and the Aggies. As I mentioned before, this team could easily be 12-0 right now. Out of our 3 losses, 2 were by 1 point and the other was won on a hail mary. Great win and a promising season. Good times are ahead in Aggieland.

Gig 'em.

mrdave...your sig is coming.

20. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Ok...I am a notorious anti-Longhorn troll.

Probably the Aggies don't beat UT if UT plays their best game....but frankly teams play their best game so rarely the Aggies deserved this one. And the Longhorns deserve a 3 loss season. Which (and this is gonna get me hammered by Horns fans) is about normal for University of Texas Teams. The Horns were dominant in the SWC and are one of the top teams in the Big 12....but normally UT isn't a serious contender for the National Championship. Obviously last year was an exception.