1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rushmore - The Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Frank Black, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

I just got the DVD and was quite impressed. I expected special features that would be able to justify the cost and was more than pleased. The director's brother even films a documentary of the movie which was probably my favorite bonus feature. It really helps you connect to the movie as if you were there. It even shows the character's auditions! I'd recommend it to anyone who has a remote liking to this movie. Even more, it was filmed in Houston.

2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Magnus: "I always wanted to be in one of your feckin' plays, Fisher"

Fisher: "I know you did"

3. Nomar

Nomar Member

It was actually filmed at my high school. I saw Bill Murray one time.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Was it filmed entirely in Texas? Where do you live Nomar?

Luke Wilson: These are OR scrubs.

Fischer: Oh are they?

5. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

According to this it was.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Rushmore is one of my all time favorite movies. The subtle humor is amazing.

My mom grew up on North Avenue, right near where the love interest of Bill Murray and Jason Schwartzman lived. She went to Lamar H.S. with my dad...the public school where Fisher went. Right across from St. John's, which played the role of Rushmore. The scenes do Houston proud, I think. Other than those outside Delmar Stadium on that cloudy day where he's out flying his kite...oh, and the scenes near the barber shop his dad owns. But the scenes in West U. and in the Med Center area showcase just how pretty this town really is.

7. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

"take dead aim at the rich boys. get them in the crosshairs, and take them down"

rich kids- bad?
    rushmore- best school in country.

THis is quite possibly the best chapel speaker i have ever seen

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As far as soundtracks, too, this movie is just great. It boggles my mind that guys like Mark Mothersbaugh (who did the Rushmore soundtrack) and Danny Elfman, my picks for the two best currently at putting together soundtracks started out in Devo and Oingo Boingo respectively. I guess early 80's synth-pop did have some redeeming qualities after all...

9. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Rushmore and Bulworth, the two best movies ever made.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Bulworth?? you must be joking!!!! I've rarely been so disappointed with a movie. I saw the previews, thus I saw all the good parts of the movie before I walked in the theater.

11. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

one of the scenes that I really like is when Bill Murray is in his hotel room (right as the bees are introduced) and you can see outside of the window down Fannin/Main... that's a great shot and who can forget the Barber Shop scenes?? I get my haircut in that very Barber Shop... it's Don's Barber Shop on 11th in the Heights!! Does anyone know where the cemetary is... the one that is shown where Fisher's Mom is buried??

rH

12. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Do yourself a favor:

If in Australia, for three weeks over the 1999/2000 New Year's; PLEASE do not rent 'Rushmore' to watch with several Aussie friends (of whom who may or may not have run an NBA website with).

They, eh, missed out on some of the subtle stuff; bless their hearts...

13. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Yes, the soundtrack is as good as the movie itself! I love it, I love it, I love it!

14. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

Also, the DVD features the Charlie Rose shows in which he interviews Bill Murray and Wes Anderson. It seems as though whoever was responsible for putting all of the bonus material together made a conscious effort to make the content worthwhile. They simply didn't throw a lot of extra tid-bits together to appease the audience.

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I thought it was an excellent movie also. The filmed the gym parts scenes and the last "play" scene at my high school, North Shore High School, here in East Houston. The scene where they showed Bill Murray and Dirk (Mason Gamble) in stands, had a few friends sitting around him that made it in the movie. Its funny, they took like a month to do bout, 20-30mins of shooting for the scenes they took at my school.

16. Nomar

Nomar Member

I go to St. Johns School in Houston. Its right next door to Lamar, on the corner of Westeimer and Buffalo/Claremont.

17. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member