1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Orlando-Cleveland Game 5. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

DJ is the better option

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dave Jamerson, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

ESPN insider reports:

Cleveland GM Jim Paxson, in his never-ending search to make the Cavs more athletic, may have just found another piece of the puzzle.

On Wednesday, ESPN Insider reported that backup point-guard Shammond Williams had rejected a multi-year contract, starting at $1.7 million, to remain a SuperSonic. It didn't take him long to find a potential new home.

On Wednesday nighty, a league source told Insider that Williams is in serious negotiations with the Cavs that could lead to an offer sheet as early as today. The Cavs have been looking for a third point guard all summer and had set their sights on free-agents Moochie Norris, Damon Jones or Anthony Goldwire.

Williams, who is really more of a combo guard, fits the Cavs' criteria of the moment: he's young, athletic and can put the ball in the hole. Andre Miller will obviously remain the starter, but Williams was promised that he'd get a fair shot to compete with Bimbo Coles for the backup position.

Though terms of the deal are unknown, it is surmised that Cleveland got a lot closer to Williams's $3-million-a-year asking price. If he does sign an offer sheet, the Sonics would have 15 days to match the contract.

Williams fate will have a big impact on what happens with Norris and Jones, the other top remaining free-agent point guards (Rod Strickland is in a class all his own).

Norris is still negotiating with the Rockets. If Williams can land a $3 million contract, that will certainly add fuel to agent Dan Fegan's fire. He's reportedly seeking close to $4 million a year for Norris, while the Rockets are offering significantly less.

Jones, who is being strongly considered by the Magic right now, might see an offer open up in Seattle or Houston, depending on how things go. According to his agent, Lamar Hunt, Jones is looking for a one-year guaranteed deal.

4 million a year for Moochie? Maloney is still out there and there are a multitude of PG we can pick up (ex-cba players). Even Colson is an intriguing option considering he would save 3.5 mil. a year. I would rather use the 4 million a year on Jim Jackson personally. What do u guys think?

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I think the season needs to hurry up and get here...

I want some of what Feagan and Moochie are smoking if they think that Norris will get $4 million a year anywhere. Dude was a second round draft pick, played in a grand total of 50 NBA games in four seasons before last year, has a career scoring average of 6 ppg (actually scoring FEWER ppg last year, despite playing a full season and more minutes per game), and he wants a salary close to what Francis is making now? It's obvious he has proven he can play in this league and deserves a raise, but he has a bit more proving to do. Norris is a perfect fit for this team. He can penetrate and kick it out to any number of long range range shooters that Houston has, plus has good handles and doesn't jack up unnecessary three pointers. I say that $1.5-$2 million per year is more than adequate for him.

Matt Maloney? Is he still in the NBA?

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I agree. Dave Jamerson is the better option . . .

4. Yakeem ASunKing

yes, maloney is still in the nba, and the rockets are still paying him, i believe. not that i want him back...

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Maloney was playing for Chicago last season, correct? But he is still under contract in Houston thru 2005. If Chicago waives Maloney, can the Rocks pick him back up without any additional cap hits or other complications?

If so, why the hell not? Francis will hopefully average 42+ min/gm next season. Maloney sucked when we had to rely on him but in this scenario, Maloney just needs to give Steve a break every blue moon.

If Mooch leaves and nobody else is around, I'm not opposed to bringing Matt back, if that is even possible. Matt is a role player and used as such (which we didn't) then he is servicable.

-krosfyah

6. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Maloney played for Atlanta last season. From what I've heard he's still looking for a job somewhere for this season. Course he's gonna get paid for this season anyway...

7. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

In my mind, if Williams signs with the Cavs, that's one less option for Norris. Regardless of what Williams signs for, when your options dwindle, your price should go down, not up.

Maloney will never be a Rocket again after the way he dogged it when he signed the big contract. I mentioned him as an option in a post last week trying to get a reaction. There was none.

We do remember that Maloney was the Rockets version of Derek Bell, right?