1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Channel 13 will report on ??Collier?? soon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Valio!, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Valio!

Valio! Member

On the 6:00 news, Bob Allen said they would do a report today about the Rocket center working at improvement. I am assuming he means collier. I guess at the end of the 6:30 news...anyway, tune in if interested...

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I am assuming he means collier.

That's hilarious... the phrase "working at improvement" is used and everyone immediately scratches Cato off the list. :D

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I just saw the story. It showed Collier! working out and playing with Tim Duncan and David Robinson at Westside. At the beginning of the story they said more or less: "with Kelvin Cato showing last year that he was not capable of filling t e center position ....everyone is looking for improvement from second yr center Jason Collier. What a put down of Cato. If things like that don't motivate him nothing will.

4. Valio!

Valio! Member

hehehe...yeah..poor cato...actually he was talking about Collier...no real news or quotes. Just mentioned that Collier was playing ball today with Tim Duncan, David Robinson, Sam Mack, Avery Johnson and "other NBA" players. The clips they showed werent too good (Duncan scoring over Collier, Collier missing an outside shot), but he did have one hook-like shot go in.

I Like Collier. He's showing he wants to step up..Do not dismiss the Collier-factor!!!

5. Valio!

Valio! Member

ooops..sorry glynch..you beat me to it

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

So next year, Collier will only be half crap. :D

7. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

We don't need Collier for scoring, we already have enuf options. We just need him for a big physical body that can rebound and clog up the lanes. And for guarding shaq, Robinson, Mutombo and etc. So how did Collier look? Did he look more heavier and stronger than last year?

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

GG,

Disagree. We need Colly for his outside threat. If he can drop in the outside jumper, it'll help open up the game and draw the opponent's big man out (of zone).

9. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

Sam Mack..what ever happened to him
    ./

10. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Busted with dope!:(

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If Collier wants to make a difference, getting a track coach would be a start. His problem is not stregnth, its atheleticism which could be improved. People often overlook the fact that a player can become quicker and faster. The dilemma with guarding a guy like Shaq isn't just the stregnth part of it, its the quickness. There are guys around the league pretty close to the size of Shaq, but none of those guys are nearly as quick. Shaq is quicker than Duncan in my opinion.

Collier could go a long ways if he were just quicker inside the paint. He could beat some of the centers in the league if he were a little quicker off his feet. With his size and power, a jump hook would be deadly. I'm not saying that he'll ever be the natural athelete Hakeem, Robinson, or Shaq are, but he could be on par with a younger Divac or Seikely. He needs more lift, which he can get and a little more quickness which he can also get through hard work.

12. timm

timm Member

I agreewith Lee that Collier can get better by improving speed rahter than just bulk up. Even with that I do not think that Collier will become our stating 5. We need a good 5, then a significantly improved Collier can be the backup.....(I dont count Cato the A**HOLE POLE)..