1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao will NEVER become dominant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrmrdan, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

Tim Duncan has his bank shot.
    Hakeem's go-to moves were his fadeaway jumper and jump hooks
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar would sky hook from 12-15 feet on a regular basis.
    Even Wilt Chamberlain, despite being bigger and stronger than everyone around him reportedly had a very soft touch got the vast majority of his points from finger-rolls and short shots 5-10 feet around the basket.

There has been only ONE low-post big man that made a career out of utilizing his freakishly athletic ability and enormous strength to bulldoze his way to within 2 feet of the basket. That's right...ONE. I swear, those of you who complain about Yao's jumpers have probably never seen a basketball game before 1992.

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

thats what I mentioned in the other thread....

Yao needs space, it is not possible for him to create much space on his own, its not because he's weak, its just his body frame is to big....its freakin hard to move a body that big, he will never be Olajuwon, and please stop trying to compare him to Olajuwon....Yao needs to focus on his best abilities, his shot and court vision....JVG needs to have guys create space for him and everything will be fine

3. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix Member

maybe u r right, but fortunately i am not one of those "some fans from China" :D yao is great! no doubt! absolutely! not every game makes u happy just like not everything makes u happy in life, there is only one "yao" in this world, yao is just yao, not anyone else!

btw, i am just watching tennis masters cup in shanghai...i am looking forward to the next game....detroit pistons is no doubt a tough team, and it will be a tough game...we won both champion teams of the two conferences, dallas and miami, and almost touch the victory over the so-experienced spurs, rox is not on the top-teams line yet, what else do some of radical fans want?

i did have a bad mood after the three loss, but i will not post anything negative to any player of rox, team-mate! basketball is not tennis! its team-work, actually i dt think thats a good way to blame a single player after failure...

forgive my grammatical or any linguistic faults, coz my mother language is not english, its chinese, hope all u guys could understand what i say. ive watched nba games for nearly 20 years...i saw a lot, i knew a lot...

no patience no champion...more blame more loss, it happened last season and it will happen in future... :)

4. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

Why didn't you put in the rest of those stats. (Big Difference)

5. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

I actually enjoy this thread because a year ago, it was "Yao will never be consistent." Now, it's "Yao will never be dominant."

Next year, I'm posting the "Yao will never be in the hall of fame" thread.

6. Highwire

Highwire Member

Yao will never be a dominant. For one reason, the NBA refs have come up with new rules against big men. The times when Shaq was forcing the ball to the basket are all gone that's why Shaq is no longer making 30+ points a game. He hasn't decliened yet but this new set of rules are keeping him out of the paint. Yao is naturally soft so being a dominant player is against all the odds.

7. yaominn

yaominn Member

I think alot ppl, including the whole tnt crew and some posters here just do not want to admit that yao IS the best center NOW.

their logic is just crazy:

big ben is better than yao because ben is so smaller, even 1pt 5 rb vs yao is a big achievement

shaq is better than yao because in may/june shaq MAY average 27/12 and yao will never pass the first round

the order of the centers is written in the stone:
    shaq/ben/yao, nothing can change it.

btw i noticed yao was much more focused on rebounding than posting, i am not sure it's jvg's idea or his own, but i think it's the right one. we do not have hayes, and big ben's offense rb helped kill alot teams.

8. redeeming

redeeming Contributing Member

A bulldozer is NATUALLY hard, but could it score a single point on the court?

9. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Shaq's not making 30+ a game mostly because he is getting old but I think you have a point. Some of the rule changes have made just running over someone in the paint less of a practical strategy. Yao with his mix of inside and outside moves is actually far better suited towards playing with the new rules than Shaq even in his prime was.

I agree with the thread starter that jump shooting is streaky but I don't look at it as a weakness on the part of Yao that he does. It just shows that he has a multi-dimensional game. As for Yao poor (as if 20 and 12 could be considered poor) I think he is fatigued and doesn't quite have the same energy as he did up to the Miami game. That said for a fatigued player to put up 20 pts against one of the best defenses in the NBA is nothing to complain about. If Yao had only 6 pts then we should be worried.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yao needs to be more aggressive in going towards the basket instead of fading away.

Force the refs to give him the call.....more pump fakes, create more contact...punish the other team with his excellent free throw shooting.

Yao sometimes plays with fire, other times a bit passive...

What Barkley and the others are saying is he should play with fire EVERY night.

And, I wish he would too !!

DD

11. Highwire

Highwire Member

For centers, the older the better. Cuz they become smarter and stronger. You don't have to be quick to become an effective center. That's the reason why Dike is still playing. You will rarely see an guard that is over 35.

If all your excuses is fatigue, run of of air, empty tank then what do you expect to happen in a best of seven series? We're not going anywhere folks if that's always what you think.

These guys are paid not to get tired for 48 minutes. I don't buy that.

12. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

You better buy it

COme on the GUy is 7'6 for god's sake, I dont think you fully grasp how hard that is for a human being

he is NOT a machine...what do you mean they are not paid to get tired for 48minutes??

they are paid to win games

Yao getting Tired IS an excuse because there is a LIMIT to how much he can pay effectively

he may be able to push the boundaries of the limit bit by bit through sheer hardwork..but at the end of the day ..there is always a limit

13. Highwire

Highwire Member

I pay 10 bucks an hour to play basketballin a fancy basketball court. And I don't stop playing for the entire time and I don't get tired.

Do you really believe Yao is fatigue? He slows down not because of tht but the defender is stronger and yao is weaker. Simple as that.

14. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

yeah I agree in that the defenders work him better
    but seiorusly

Tall people just dont have the endurnace of short pepole

stockton can play for 100minutes

Yao cant ...not physically possible

Yao has made huge strides towards improving his endurance

if he wasnt the hard work that he is...its impossible to achieve

and Mumtomob being old doesnt mean anything about old centeres..old centers are very vulnerable to injuries...Jordan was able to score 40 when he was 40..

I dont know whether You have learn these things at school in biology - the human anatomy...but if you havnt..you will understand once you do

15. rocketsmetalspd

Yao will become dominant once JVG stops having Yao set pick after pick at top of the key. This is what tires out Yao the most. Let Yao just set up down low and run the plays through him. Also, what game was Charles watching Yao was double by the Bulls and Ben Wallace gets away with a lot of over the back stuff and stiff arms that the refs are blind to see.

16. cook

cook Member

Yao 20-12 Ben 1-5 The sky is not falling.Don't be nervous. ;)

17. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Another one confuses baby hooks and hooks for mid-range jump shots. What would you suggest? Every single dominant center, average center, or crappy center, shoots more "jump shots" than dunks. News for you, even Shaq, he shots far far more jump shots - baby hooks than dunks.

Don't tell me there was never a dominant center in the NBA history.

18. redeeming

redeeming Contributing Member

What do you want us to get from you mentioning that????? :confused:
    Do you mean that Toyota Center is fancy enough to keep Yao from feeling tired? Or do you mean that because you don't get tired easily Yao shouldn't get tired easily either? If the former, then you're a 3-year-old; if the latter, then you're simply an idiot! In either case, I've got to admit--it's amazing that you could actually type and post.

I believe you're either a 3-year-old or an idiot! simple as that.

19. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

YAO IS HERE!!!

20. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

whew even mcgrady himself considers yao to be the most dominant center in the league! now tell me why the lakers are actually picking him as their first option and not amare (2nd) as their free agent target?? (good thing yao signed an extension). Last thing dont forget he is named player of the week and did i mention this is just the first week? so there is no telling how many more he can grab this season (MVP season? maybe not yet but soon i guarantee that!)

this thread is purely crap