1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is Bonzi? What is he doing to get Fit?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yetti, Nov 16, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I and all the other Rox Fans would like to have some official word on how, our latest key addition of the offseason, is shaping up! So far, the Rockets [JVG/CD] have been very quite about Bonzi Wells and I am wondering if we can expect Bonzi to be playing as a Rocket this season?:confused:

2. jon

jon Contributing Member

I saw a report on sohu saying that he was indifferent after the loss to Spurs. Talking about he was sitting in the change room, making private phone calls and joking with the other guy over the phone, and really annoying others while the whole room was pretty down and quiet at the moment.

I know it might not be 100% true, but I would not be surprised that this thing happens. In my opinion, I really doubt that he would be a contributor at all. I really hope I am wrong this time though, since he can help a lot.

3. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I stopped hoping that Bonzi is gonna play a while ago. If by January this Bonzi situation is still the same.. I hope he gets traded with JHo (Everyone always include him in any trade package hehe) for a decent PF.

So far Bonzi has been the anti-glue guy since he never really wanna do anything with the team. He neutralizes Shane.

4. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How outta shape could Bonzi have been? This is ridiculous, we could have signed Fat Albert and could have gotten him in to shape by now.

[​IMG]

5. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

I dont think its that. Even Shaq has played out of shape. Its ridiculous that every MLE player this team gets doesn't play because of some quiet unknown issue and they're always the problem. He's been playing basketball for years. He wont look any worse than Scott 1 shot a game Padgett. You tell me we can start a crap player like Bowen but wont even give Bonzi any minutes?

This organization says it wants to win but does things like, which raises more questions than answers.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

dont take some repoting out of context too seriously

7. jdrock

jdrock Member

I know this board loves to come down hard on the coach and the organization, but this is just silly. We have a guy that is out partying with fat-butt chicks instead of getting into shape, and not traveling with the team on road games.. and you're taking his side?

If a guy isn't going to play hard, then he shouldn't play. If he's not trying to be part of the team, then he shouldn't play.

You'd think a guy like Bonzi would try and make an impression this year since it's basically another contract year for him, but he's too pathetic to even do this. Maybe there's a fatty corpussel lodged in his brain somewhere. If there's one thing you can count on a professional athlete with some talent to do, it's play well on a contract year. Bonzi is so sad, he can't even do that.

We made a no-risk bet on Bonzi, and it didn't pan out. Best thing to do now is shop him near the mid-season deadline. If we can package with JHo for a hard-working backup center or guard, I'll be happy.

8. superden

superden Contributing Member

I am glad that we are winning without him. I have forgotten he is on the team. If he thinks he can just show up and play whenever we wants to, well he has another thing coming to him.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There is one set of standards of behavior for established, god-like legendary, hall of fame, most dominant ever candidates like a veteran Shaq and another for perennial problem children, apparently looking to turn over a new leaf and cash in, like Bonzi Wells.

...shocker if true, I thought he was always well behaved...

10. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

man i rlly wish bonzi would play. even when he was in games he looked fat but he still grabbed tons of rebs. we could use him especially since chuck hayes is out. a fat bonzi is still our 3rd best scoring option.

11. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, the problem is Bonzi not the organization. He's in the you get what you pay for mode, we've all worked with someone like that before.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

fixed that for ya

13. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

I'm starting to get annoyed. Bonzi WANTS to play, but JVG won't let him! Free Bonzi!

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Keep in mind that he was not only out of shape but still recovering from a groin injury. Like high ankle sprains and hamstring pulls, groin injuries are notoriously difficult to shake AND have the tendency to be easily aggravated.

But, yes, let's demand an explanation or we shall riot at the doors of the Toyota Center. Riot I tell you!

Because we all know so much about basketball, training and injury prevention.

15. McGradySNKT

We saw one pic on Bonzi how long ago? A coach who said otherwise, but its been long enough. Its a waste of a roster spot and the MLE to have players just rotting doing nothing. You guys act like Bonzi is Oliver Miller. As fat as he was, he still got minutes.

16. famicom

famicom Member

Bonzi+Howard for Frye or David Lee?? We still have TE and Isaih is still the GM, right?? Yea just pipe dreams..

17. McGradySNKT

Jeff even with all of the sarcsm, the original posters questions weren't answered. Does anyone know because the Rockets keep these things locked down like they're secret government documents

18. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

he is cleared to play but JVG is sitting him. like i said, a fat bonzi is still our best rebounder and 3rd best scoring option.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

good post, people just want to know what's going on. but I did post in another thread about a week ago, jvg was on one of the radio shows and he said that bonzi just wasn't in shape after the last game he played in. pretty simple. so we can assume I guess that he's just not in shape, and you can make your assumptions about his work ethic from that.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm baffled by this situation. Before there was any talk of Bonzi being an option for anything less than the full MLE, I railed against the idea citing the numerous examples of perrenial under-achievers, like Bonzi, putting on some miraculous display of their talent during a contract year so that they can get the big pay day in the offseason.

I remember saying then that the only way I'd want Bonzi would be on a one year deal so that he'd have to play for that big pay day all over again. Well, we got my wish, basically, and apparently I was wrong. Bonzi can't even be convinced to play for another shot at a big pay day.