1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN broadcasters are made believers and eat their own words all in one game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wreck, Nov 12, 2006.

1. nyc2k2

nyc2k2 Member

They are humans too... They might have lower IQs...

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is a VERY astute observation. I have noticed this from the very beginning. It reminds me of the polls in college basketball and football. If you aren't ranked highly in the preseason polls, it is just very difficult to get into the top 10 no matter how good you are in the season and teams that are ranked in the top 10 early have to collapse to fall out of the top 25.

Yao was considered a bust before he even set foot on the court in the NBA and he has had to weather those perceptions his entire career, particularly from national commentators who only see his high (or low) lights rather than watching him on a game-in-game-out basis.

3. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Winning more then 36 games would be a start.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Both team shot poorly the 1st half, but I didnt agree with the espn nuts that it was solely bad shooting. Both teams were playing good D and made shots tough. We always played low scoring game with the spurs too. Now Yao's dominating, so the pace favors us. Let's slow it down. Hell ya.

5. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

watched espan for the clarity too, but I flipped to fsn a bit for small stretches. Not sure on tripple team of Worrel, Bullard and Drexler. :confused:

Greg Anthony(and Espn) bunch of jackholes.

6. jshabang

jshabang Member

I LOVE THIS BOARD!!!!

I was just coming in to open a new thread about the crap of a broadcast i had to endure on ESPN i mean it was sickening...i thought it was just me..........

I come home happy today.....rock are going national tonight and i can watch it in HD cuz its on ESPN...great right?????????????

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean even when we played horribly we were never more than about 6 to 7 points out of the game......and that was with yao, tracy and everyone struggling which in my mind was an awesome sign.............our rocks team is playing like crap to the world champs and they could not pull away

but no...ESPN broadcasters had a feel day tearin apart the rockets and the front office.....i mean it was brutal at times....so brutal that i wanted to turn off my beautiful HD picture and go over to fox for grain vision

no but seriously even while we were winning and yao handed shaq his arse......we still got dogged to the buzzer...it was unbelievable

7. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

Well, Yao has had a lot of low-lights in his career and it's taken him a long time to get where he is. And Yao has been strong at times in his career and weak at others. He is judged harshly for his size - and perhaps that's not fair to some, and justified to others.

But really, this is a break-out season for Yao....winning and putting up big numbers counts for a lot. The season is only 7 games old...so I think maybe wait for another 20 games to pass before we all worry about a lack of respect...

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

If D.Howard is doing what Yao's been doing on half of the nights, the media has already made him second coming of Wilt or Kreem already.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is the start of Yao getting more respect from the national media. If the Rockets continue winning a high % of games, Yao will get most of the credit.

But on the other hand, some of you guys need to take a deep breath. The announcers weren't nearly as terrible as you make them out to be. Legler was critical of Wade and the Heat when they made mistakes. I can't say much for Greg Anthony.

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Wow, you butchered that lol :eek:

11. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I personally think it has something to do with the cultural difference. I can't think of any other reason why a guy who is averaging 26 pts a game doesn't get any credit yet people like Kaman, Haslam, and even the Heat's rookie pg Quinn was getting more praise than Yao. P*sses me off! I just love the fact that Yao is just crushing the nay-sayers right now.

Anyone realize that as soon as Quinn go in the game, Anthony and Legler (who I can't f'n stand) started praising his potential, yet a guy who is carrying his team against the world champs and is having a great run at the start of the year is getting doubted. Isiah should have slapped Anthony! Two morons broadcasting the game.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yao + TMac > Lebron + Ziggy.

13. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

ESPN just sux. I hate all of their sports broadcasts, and this one was no different. They went on and on and on about how we sucked and weren't contenders, yet we were w/i 3 points when they kept repeating this...we were even in the lead by 6 or 7 and they kept repeating it w/o any criticism of the team we were beating.

just sux

14. ClutchCityReturns

Isaiah? Isaiah who?

15. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Legler's generally been complementary toward the Rockets but he doesn't go overboard with it. He's not bad. But Anthony is such an ignorant butthead that it overwhelms and cancels out any good work done by the other announcers.

16. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Until Rox does some serious damage in the playoffs, Yao won't get the respect he deserves.

17. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Whether we want to admit it or not, he has to overcome the stereotype of not being black or an athlete by doing what he does to win games. That's the only way someone in Yao's unique case gets respect with casual sports fans like Greg Anthony and Tim Legler. Notice how real analysts like Doug Collins (or former coaches commentating) exhibit nothing but awe when talking about Yao.

ESPN used to salivate over Amare every time he touched the ball during his 26 ppg season, despite the fact he was nothing more than a body on defense and let opposing centers shoot 57% against him. Throughout his career he has never drawn the attention Yao does with his back to the basket or exhibit the passing/basketball IQ to be an offensive anchor in a half court setting. Amare is a finisher, which appeals to the casual sports fan.

Bottom line, Yao needs to win.

18. KnoxRocketsFan

those guys are clueless, the sportscenter guys just said: They (Houston) won 4 straight after started the season 0-2

19. ClutchCityReturns

Legler picked the Rockets to finish 12th in the West this season.

Of course that was one day after saying he thought we could "win it all THIS year" after we beat the Heat in the preseason.

Then he was hating on us again in this game.

Legler is just going to say what makes him look smart at the moment.

20. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

they probably overlooked that win against the mavs since yao was the leading scorer. :rolleyes: