1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Digital Camera choices.. Sonys & Canons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kaleidosky, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

I have a Canon Powershot Pro1! It takes incredible pictures. Go with Canon!!

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Well, with your help, I'm down to the SD700 IS and SD800 IS

Since the extra megapixel doesn't mean much to me, it comes down to this.. whether the somewhat low-level-flash on the 700 is bad enough to require moving up to the slightly-increased 800

I can also look at the value added by deciding whether face detection in the 800 helps.. and by knowing that there's a 12% increase in battery life in the 800.

So can anyone verify the flash on the 700 or 800, the face detection on the 800, or the battery life in either one? Thanks again for the help!

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I have the SD700IS and absolutely love it. With the big ass LCD screen you shouldn't need face detection. I see all of the faces in it just fine ;) Also, I've never had any problems with the battery life.

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

The 700 has a built in flash and works better in low light situations.

Face recognition is a cool feature: http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/p800is-i850is/fea-3-e.html

I wouldnt worry about the battery life. Both are great and you can go a full day without a charge. The rest is up to you. I would recommend you go to Best Buy and play around with the 800 and then go to Circuit City to check out the 700. Then you can either get one from newegg or dell.com or Costco. I prefer Costco because of their return policy.

Also note that the 700 has a little extra zoom.

Again, you can't go wrong with either :cool:

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I have the SD700IS too and love it. I also have a Canon Powershot G2 and a Canon 10D. I use the SD700 the most right now due to the portability.
    I'm a Canon guy so I'm biased, but Canon all the way.

6. james1301

james1301 Member

If the picture quality is the most important thing to you, you should consider Fujifilm Finepix F30.
    The F30 is light years ahead of any sony or cannon's similar priced DC.
    It's the best DC in the market. Newegg sells it for $265.

7. Yonkers

From the reviews it does not have the best picture quality. It does have the best low-light picture quality. So if you find yourself shooting indoors a lot then this is a good camera for you. The reviews state that the camera is merely adequate for taking pictures outside in bright light.

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Thanks for all your assistance & opinions, guys! Big help since I've been out of the camera loop for a couple of years.

I went with the Canon SD700 IS.. I'll be back in a few weeks (maybe post-Thanksgiving?) with my thoughts and all ;)

10. crackhead

crackhead Member

true. i like Nikon's present DSLR lineup too, after Canon. I really want to upgrade my D70 to the D200.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I've read a lot of good things about the Nikon Coolpix S7c. 7.1 MP and connects directly to email from any wireless connection.

12. Yonkers

That wireless stuff is pretty much a gimmick. My brother has a Nikon (maybe that one) that does that. Takes forever to transfer anything.

13. HoustonPhotog

HoustonPhotog Member

you wont be disappointed...

ive been in photography for about 3 years and i can say that canon makes some very nice cameras.

in fact i was about to purchase the 700is as a regular carry around camera when i dont feel like lugging my DSLR around then the 800is came out. I havent had a chance to order one yet but I'll prolly still go with the 700IS.

Ive shot with the 700is and the 800is and I must say that having IS (image stabilization) built into the camera is a very cool feature.

im sure youll have a blast with it!

14. crackhead

crackhead Member

is anyone else stoked about the new Leica M8:

[​IMG]

a steal at only $4800 from amazon !!

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Hogwash. What professionals are you talking about?

Sports Illustrated's photographers all use Canons. Look for the long white lenses at sporting events. Those are Canons.

16. HoustonPhotog

HoustonPhotog Member

canon's do make up a VERY large part of pro sports shooters although there are still a good bit nikon guys out there in the industry.

i think that canon may have a overall bigger grasp on the market... i know thats why i went with canon to start out with... i knew more people that owned them in order to help me along and such. im glad i did because switching brands mid run can be a very costly task... especially uif you already have a decent sized lens collection etc. hehee.

17. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I have a Nikon D-50 SLR, and it kicks ass.

18. HoustonPhotog

HoustonPhotog Member

cool deal... what lenses do you use...

Nikon definitely makes a good product... theres things i wish my canon had that nikons offer but they dont... ugh.

the nikon vs canon debate happens all of the time on photo forums out there and i think its just like the ford vs chevy saga... neverending. hehe

as i tell many people its not necessarily the brand of camera that makes a great photo... its the person behind the controls.

i can say that ive been very suprised over the past couple of years with the amount of DLSRs on the market in varying price ranges.. the manufacturers are making them much more affordable which allows a broader range of users getting interested in photography... which is definitely a good thing!