1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Digital Camera choices.. Sonys & Canons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kaleidosky, Nov 6, 2006.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

my camera's dying. thoughts, comments, any input?

I'd like the size to go down..so I think I've narrowed it to these. (I'm buying off Amazon since i have a gift cert--that's why prices are set)

Sony DSCW70 for $225
    Sony DSCW50 for $220 (I think the W70 above is superior for $5 more, but still putting this in as an option)
    Sony DSCW30 for $185

Canon SD630 $260
    Canon SD700 $305
    Canon SD500 $230
    Canon SD550 $290

Canon's use SD memory..Sony's use MemoryStick Pro Duo

my current: 4.1x2.0x1.4, 1.5" lcd, 7.3 oz, 3x zoom (it's a Sony, so I'm used to the Sony controls)

w70: 3.5x2.2x0.9, 2.5" lcd, 5.5 oz, 3x zoom
    w50: 3.5x2.2x0.9, 2.5" lcd, 5.5 oz, 3x zoom
    w30: 3.5x2.3x0.9, 2.0" lcd, 5.4 oz, 3x zoom

sd630: 3.5x2.2x0.8, 3.0" lcd, 6.2 oz, 3x zoom
    sd700: 3.5x2.2x1.0, 2.5" lcd, 6.9 oz, 4x zoom
    sd500: 3.5x2.2x1.1, 2.0" lcd, 7.1 oz, 3x zoom
    sd550: 3.5x2.2x1.1, 2.5" lcd, 6.5 oz, 3x zoom

Looking at all this and after researching some, I see W70 vs. SD630 (bigger lcd) vs. SD700 (bigger zoom and better quality images i think). And memory cost will be less on the latter 2.

Anyone have input or another choice to add? I'm no expert with cameras, but I try to take good scenic pics on vacation, pics of people out wherever (dark and light), and I enjoy using the movie mode (all of the above have solid movie modes from what I've read). But I really want this to be able to be in my pocket when I go out and not be a bulge or an annoyance.

If I had steadier hands, I'd use the night mode a lot more often with cool scenic shots...but since it takes so long to take in all the light (I assume), mine always end up blurry.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Go with Canon, trust me. I was a HUGE Sony brand guy and never hesitated to buy Sony products (including a couple digi cameras), but I recently bought a Canon and the comparison isn't even close. Canon's clarity, especially night pictures, were unbelievable compared to Sony.

I have a Canon SD550 and couldn't be happier with it.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Samsungs suck! :mad:

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I was also a big SONY guy who recently switched to Canon products. SONY still makes some fine products, but Canon is really firing on all cylinders with their products over the last few years.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WTF, man, no love for FUJIfilm? :(

I have an S5100 (FinePix) that takes better pictures than the SONYs or the CANONs, but it won't fit in your hand... I guess people want practical instead of better end-result. :cool: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

6. crackhead

crackhead Member

the answer is obvious:

Canon EOS 30D + 24-70mm f/2.8 lens ~$2400

7. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

SD700 for 305 is a great deal. That camera is even better than the new SD800

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

canons rock
    i got a sd 450

its awesome... just make sure u protect the screen.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You have a guy looking for a pocket-sized camera in the $200-$300 range and you say the obvious answer is a tank of a DSLR with a big lens that costs $2400. So how did you get the name "crackhead" again? :D

10. distence

distence Contributing Member

what makes it better than the sd800?

11. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

SONY period...gotta love that RED color...

12. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

When it comes to digital cameras,

Canon > *

I don't care what model you buy, just make sure it's a Canon. You can't miss.

13. mj10501

mj10501 Contributing Member

like everyone has said, go with a canon.

i haven't seen the sd700, but my brother brought his sd630 with us to barbados, and that thing is gorgeous. it looks great and performs practically flawlessly, but then again we did have some really great scenery to work with. :p

definitely take a look at the sd630, the big ol 3" lcd alone (which none of the other cameras you listed have) might be enough to win you over.

14. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Do you need a particularly small camera? Because I highly recommend the Fujifilm S5200. I have an previous model as well as a pocket-sized Canon. There is really no comparison in photo quality, processing speed, film (and lens) speed, and overall clarity. Fujifilm makes ridiculously good cameras for the price.

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Buy the Sony DCSW 50!!

I bought one a while back and it's real good. It captures good pictures if you know how to use it correctly. It's also a pretty decent video recorder.. check on my youtube if you want to know what it looks like on a video: http://youtube.com/profile?user=skoobidooska

Don't look at all the vids, they're embarassing, and turn down the volume. But that's what it looks like.

BTW BTW BTW:::
    I found one in a Pawn shop across the street from my place (Near U of H) that's selling a Sony DCSW 50 for $129.99 including the case. I went to the Pawn yesterday so it might still be there.

16. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

canon all the way. i've owned two and loved them. quality all the way.

17. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

On paper the sd800is looks like a better camera. At least that's what I thought at first. A brand new processor (DIGIC III), face recognition, wide-angle 28-105mm, an extra mp, and higher ISO (1600).

First of all, you don't want to use anything over ISO 1200. Second, the wide angle is great but you get blurry corners and there is a loss in sharpness. There is also apparent blue fringing.

Both are great cameras and you even get both for the same price (look around in fat wallet)

Here you can compare both with pictures

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sd700-review/gallery.shtml

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_sd800-review/gallery.shtml

Its funny because not too long ago I started a thread asking what camera to get. Now here I am telling you to get the sd700is! However, apparently the sd550 gives you the best picture quality. But either way, stick with Canon!!

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Sony's use of a proprietary memory card = teh suck. Go with Canon instead.

19. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Canon 0wnz all cameras. Never buy any other brand when it comes to cameras, Canon is the only way to go.

20. pchan

pchan Member

I have a sony f-88, I love it.

HAving said that, I had play with some canon cameras.. and they are really nice too.