1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being a Control Freak, JVG Leads Rockets to Nowhere

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JWhaley, Nov 1, 2006.

Tags:
  1. JWhaley

JWhaley Contributing Member

I would loved for Howard not to play very many minutes either, but not very many if FARRRR from 0, especially considering the minutes will go to Padget!

Did you buy this excuse? I will never buy it. Wells is talented with big ego, obviously something wrong is going between him and the coach. Let us see how things will go.

So you think no-D Alston played better on the opening night?
    And how can a rookie develop into a solid contributer without playing time?

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

If Yao and TMac stay healthy all season and play well and we don't make the playoffs I will agree with you 100%

If we do make the playoffs anything can happen. :)

3. Hiroshikun

Hiroshikun Member

Obviously I agree that it is unfair that coach get proportioned large part of the game but the matter of fact is they are the asset not the coach. While I absolutely agree with JVG in that chemistry and culture are essential for all good teams, what he also miss is that there is no way to presume that culture can only be satisfied at the cost of talent.

Anyway good management has to unearth some of hidden gem - that is the nature of the game - if you want abnormal performance then you must do something that nobody can do - and the matter of fact is good teams do this consistently. Look, while JVG was emphasizing the importance of "culture" and "work ethic" by consistently playing a player that represent his "value", Spurs are quitely using their roster spot to pick of likes of Elson and some other rookie projects (I don't want to jump on bandwagon but you see the point). Need I mention where Manu, and Parker was picked up? What you cannot dismiss is the claim that JVG tried to ride things easy by relying on the performances of his two stars. Some may see this as trying to maximize the value of main assets but I see it as taking an easy but wrong way out. Signing guys like Ward, Oakley, Strickland and Bowen aint helping Tracy and Yao. Of course coach rarely wants to put in unknown young guy and experience the possibility of getting burned. But you got to take some risks and hope for the best at times, and I have never seen a guy more risk averse than Jeff. Sorry but that spells mediocrity all the way.

And lastly, why Jeff always see the need to constantly micro-manage every part of detail - and shows unbelievable stubborness in terms of actually making adjustments himself. Doesn't he realize that coach is not the one playing the game and should sometime let the players be himself. Now I am going to defend Bonzi for partying whist his supposedly nursing his injury. That is clearly a case of going across the line. But observation based on past 3 years clearly shows flexibility isnt Van Gundy's forte and probably never will be. IMO, Van Gundy was partly responsible for destroying the value of Francis to certain extent. I am not arguing for the case that Franchise should never been traded but the matter of fact is there is no point trying rub into your star player and get his production down and lower the value of trading chip. That is just plain dumb. For the superbowl saga, it would have been hell of lot better if Jeff just had a private conversation with Francis and kept the thing in house. After all Francis is highly liked by his team-mates and he is hardly a guy who you would call a nutcase like Artest. But NO~~~~~ Mr. Gundy is a man of principles and anyone who doesnt form into his ideal human being is incompatible to work with him. I would like to call middle manager seeing himself bigger than the world syndrome at that - its quite common as far as I know and prevalent amongst aggressive, intelligible but unintelligent set of individuals.

Lastly, you just can't have logically coherent set of arguments that coach deserves a million dollar bucks and players are the ones who wins or looses the match without dropping the notion that coach is largely peripheral figure on the team. In that case coach clearly doesnt deserve all the money he is getting paid for since players are the ones who either wins or looses the game. I would rather like to keep the idea that coach is fundamental to the success of the team and a good management team is essential for teams to do well over time. Especially in the era of unmotivated, luxury filled NBA stars. That means coach must take some responsibility in the case of team underperforms since he/she can make large contributions by being able to handle these walking millions or not.

Either way, players

4. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I have full respect to the Clutch fans here who has profound basketball knowledge and constantly give insightful analysis of the game. However, it's undeniable that the forum is full of bandwagon fans who start threads like "Trade Yao for KG", "T-Mac is soft", "JVG sucks", "Fire Rudy" every single time after a loss. I understand it's frustrating to see the team you supported get screwed but it's also as frustrating to see all the whining and b****ing against the Rockets team and its personnel by their own fans.

5. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

I would have to be on the bandwagon with the JVG "haters". Our team came out flat. You have Tmac talking about how Utah's intensity was so much better. I'm gonna say that at the least, thats about 50/50 Coaches and players. The coach has to do something. Raefer stunk the first half. We are down by 20. Why not try a different point guard? A different tempo? If this team is gonna rely on Scott Padgett for 20mins a game.... lets go ahead and start talking about who we are taking in this years lottery!

Yes, you are going to have more growing pains with our rookies (Novak and Vspan), but if they don't play they will never be contributors. And as much as I dislike Howard, he is twice the player Padgett and Deke are at this point. Another point, is lets get these guys experience early in the season instead of waiting until our season/playoffs depends on their play.

It is just "one" game... but I hope like hell we see something different from our team. If not we will have another lottery pick to trade away.

6. jdmb82

jdmb82 Member

I think it is a little funny how many of the people who make posts on this site have such a short-term, fair-weather memory. A week ago there were threads praising the JVG and CD for their offseason transformation of the team, and now that the Rockets have played one bad game, without playing several key components (Bonzi, and to a lesser extent, V-Span), you guys are ready to crucify him.

I don't understand why it is so difficult for some people to suspend judgment until an apprioriate time (at least half way through a season). Maybe its a maturity issue (or lack thereof). Whatever it is, I feel my intelligence drop each and every time I read one of your posts.

PS Juwan Howard is dead weight. He needs to be traded.

7. JWhaley

I aim higher than yours:
    if Yao and TMac stay healthy, and we couldn't make noise in the playoff , then JVG should go.
    The noise means at least to past first round and play well in the conference semi and maybe later.
    We are in the win now mode, playoff only is far from satisfaction.

#167 JWhaley, Nov 3, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  8. JWhaley

Howard is a dead weight, but he is still definitly better than Padget.
    No contender will play Padget for 20minutes !
    Padget is a coach's baby, but you gotta fight with the best talented team instead of the best I-will-do-whatever-you-tell-me-to-do babies!

9. arbpro

arbpro Member

And as much as I dislike Howard, he is twice the player Padgett and Deke are at this point.

And that's the point. The whiners will always whine. IF JVG had played Howard instead of Padg you would be thrashing the coach for playing the "slow" Howard in favor of a "pure shooter" like Padgett. JVG is damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. The fact of the matter is the Rockets got whipped thoroughly by the Jazz. The Jazz got every loose ball. Now the last time I looked JVG was not on the floor. Getting loose balls is a desire test. Who wants that brown piece of leather (well so much for that statement this year lol) more is what it is about. The Jazz wanted it and the Rockets didn't. That happens to every team. Hopefully it happened to the Rockets on opening night and is over. All of this hysterical theatrics about firing JVG, play the rookies, trade Yao/TMac is NONSENSE.

10. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

exactly.....Its not JVG's fault that Mcgrady went 8-13 from teh line...its not his fault Alston looked like he has never stepped on a bball court in the 1st half....if we make our free throws, put our hands up occasionaly on defense, we win......thta was the players...
    and maybe if mcgrady decides to drive to the basket more...i thought with his back ok, he would drive more...

11. Hiroshikun

Hiroshikun Member

Coaching certain fans bandwagon presumes that certain person knows the real "essence" of being a fan. I find that rather preposterous. Beside I am pretty sure that most of the fans who argue for JVG sucks et al share the same intensity and love for the Rockets as most who support him.

I fully understands and share the feelings the fans have when they feel management isnt doing enough at times. I don't blame Les for not going out there spending recklessly in order to win some favours over than fans like Mark Cuban. His wealth isnt bottomless and the man worked hard to earn it with good vision. And I am sure he is running Rockets like normal business entity. At times, he has even shown a willingness to go beyond wins to establish success. Nor do I agree with the posts saying Tracy sucks and Yao should be more assertive - I support players fully. I love them with my hearts. But I do feel CD and JVG hasnt gotten away too many boneheaded mistakes and people comes up to defend them by constantly reminding us that they arent the ones who are conceding buckets of baskets and not putting them in. Well what is point of paying all the money then? Last time I checked, JVG yearned quite a handsome figure of multiple 7 digit salary. The guy earn more in a year than most people will do in their entire life - there is no need feel sorry for the guy. Coaches and management board should also be accountable as players are on the court.

For me final straw was last year match against Denver, and JVG's insistence on playing Bowen. I don't care if he is a good guy or not - as a fan I demand success. I pay for the team by buying replica jersey all those crap - and so does many here. I will still support Rockets no matter what one but I hope I am not being too radical by insisting on a trival matter that fans should be rewarded through some of the achievements which we feel "part of" beyond our realm of possibilities and take some hope in our ordinary life. At least Rockets should have given some fast tempo game then. Either way, Rockets under JVG failed on a grand scale. All I know, you, players, experts, and even JVG knows Ryan "Flying" Bowen aint NBA player.

So why am I keep insisting on Ryan Bowen? Well, I don't think Van Gundy is being quite honest here. As I have coach has incentive to aggrandize their role and emphasize certain aspects of the game in order to show they are doing something here. Take Bowen as a case, wouldnt it be a coaching genius if a player not worthy of NBA calibre suddenly becomes a nice situational player under JVG? Doesn't it show the coaching geniusness of JVG? The only problem of the fact is that no coach can make a player out of Bowen. It is like IVY institution admitting a guy with the IQ of 60 by insisting on he is a "good guy" and well in turn discrimating a person with IQ of 120 who might have more potential to contribute to the society.

I really wish this post becomes classic and I can eat crow every time somebody mentions it. I have no problem with that as long as Rockets do well. But I have had enough with JVG over last 3 years and my patience is running thin. And JVG havent lost my trust because of the last year's result because results are a random product of work, ability and luck, but the way in which JVG handled the situation which I would say abysmal put it mildly. I feel that he knew his professional reputation of never "missing" the the play-off was on the line and tried to limit damage to his reputation. I have nothing against that since all people including myself would do the same should I find myself in same situation. But as a fan I find that non-acceptable from the coach. JVG knows his job is on the line and that is why he cut Bowen. More importantly perhaps, his entire professional reputation of being a good coach is on the line. One more failure then he will, I am sure, almost certainly be dubbed as mediocre. After all he took one of the most attractive franchise at the time (without the revisionist history more so than Detroit) and hasnt delivered. Its about time and I am sceptical right now though happy to be proven wrong.

12. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

13. rocketsmetalspd

JVG should be given a chance to get to the All-Star Break, if the team is not doing well at that time, he should be fired. If JVG is fired Mario Elie should be our next coach. I bet he will have the team ready to play each game. :)

14. Flamescreen

Flamescreen Member

Well, obviously you can't judge anyone from the starter game, but you're basically right, and so is the main page article.

It's clear this night was a mistake, and I certainly hope JVG is a man that learns from his mistakes. I'd agree he might not want to use much the rookies, cause they maybe nervous, but should at least give them 2-4 minutes each, it wouldn't be detrimental for the outcome and even if it was, big players are born that way, from mistakes and their ability to comeback and restore the faith to their skills.

Winning @ Dallas means nothing if he'll continue on that patterns. The Rox have the ability to bring something to their game other teams do not have, like good defense. If they'll not utilise that and their 3-pointers and intensity, they can't hope for much.

However IT IS too soon to say. I can't say I expected a loss to Utah though. However it's the first game, players have cold feet still. Within ten games from now we'll be able to review better.

15. vspan77

vspan77 Member

Would you guys just stop blaming this and that!

I just watched the game and we lost for these reasons only:

1) We shot 60% from Free Throw line ---- embarrassing. Oh, this is around 15pts.

2) Why didn't VGD put any scorers/energy on our 2nd team? Vspan/Wells/Howard (that's 2 starters on inactive list guys!)

3) Whey did Yao only get 12 shots? (ONeil could miss ALL his layups and still demand for >20shots per game)

Now those are the only reason. I take my word back blaming for TMAC! If you'v watched the game you'll know most of his misses are from late (later 4th quarter) of the game. He shot high % at the start tho! Plus, no one's helping our scoring from the bench!!! But no matter what Yao should get at least the same amount of shots as TMAC!

WE WANT VSPAN!! WE WANT WELLS!!!
    practice the god dam free throws Rockets!!!!!

FU_K Stern for the NEW BALL!!! Jazz are just lucky to shoot this accurate tonight!

I think most of you guys would agree with me that Rox looked >>>>> Jazz even tho they lost this one!!! Even with 11pts only from our bench, we would have won it if we made 75% from free throw line.

16. kingkow

kingkow Member

who gives...as long as we win the rest of the games then we are still 81-1

:D

17. tsunami

tsunami Member

Excellent analysis....

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

phoenix just lost to the the jazz and the kobe-less lakers. d'antoni sucks!!!! maybe, maybe no.

19. osa420

osa420 Contributing Member

Yes, Yao does need to get more shots. Thats one thing that I have always been annoyed about.

20. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

so what do you think of JVG now? its alright that hes defensive minded, just take a look at the sonics, they have players that can score but they dont defend. as long as we have depth around tracy and yao were going to be just fine..