1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

unpaid speeding ticket

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bag0b0y, Oct 26, 2006.

1. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Don't think that those tickets just somehow go away. I had a 9 year old speeding ticket from the little ol' town of Luling that got sent to collections. I ended up paying about double what I would have paid. And the bench warrant was STILL in effect (though apparently it never made its way to the DPS, which is why I went 9 years without getting arrested for the darn ticket).

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Say I got a ticket in... oh, I don't know, two months ago... and the court date was a month ago... and I don't go to the court to say "Defensive Driving" or "Adjurred Adjudication" or just to tell the Judge "i'm sorry..."... then that becomes a warrant, right?

What can a lawyer do to bring the charges down? And do any of you advise to get a lawyer or do it myself? Is it worth getting a lawyer? No JIM ADLER, please. :p

3. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Yes, you get a warrant because of your failure to appear. Now you have two tickets. A lawyer is more expensive than just paying the tickets. Unless you're at risk of losing your license or insurance, pay the tickets and slow down.

4. bonecrusher

bonecrusher Member

The judge in Giddings is not very nice.

5. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Never, ever, ever go without paying a traffic ticket. Not a good idea at all.

Call the municipality where the ticket was issued, get the info and mail in your check ASAP.

6. Fatty FatBastard

That all depends on how long it has been. Whenever I get a ticket in another State, I don't pay it. If the ticket is close to three years old, I'd let it go.

More importantly, just follow the traffic laws in the first place. My folks do, and they get pulled over about once every 20 years.

7. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I have an unpaid speeding ticket from 3 years ago (in San Jacinto County). ****ing cop lied through his teeth - I was using cruise control and knew exactly what the speed limit was. He probably thought, with the out-of-state plates, that I'd be unable to show up in court and challenge it. Fat, dishonest, ****ing cop.

But anyway.

I've been pulled over twice since then, and had my card run, and nothing's come up. I'm sure at some point that it will pop up, but until then ... **** them. Traffic tickets have almost nothing to do with safety and everything to do with farming for revenue. And they can take your money because they're bigger than you are, not because they're right.

Needless to say, if nothing ever forces me to let them take my money unjustly, then I will never volunteer. **** them.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I had 2 tickets in Houston in the 80's that I had not paid, and I moved to San Marcos for college.

After college around '92, I moved back to Houston and figured I better take care of those tickets, so I called the county, they told me the amount and I wrote them a check.

During the time it took my check to get to the county VIA mail, the 7 year period expired and the tickets were dropped from my record, the county sent the check back...

WOOOHOOOO !!!

It paid to be a procrastinator...for once.

DD

#28 DaDakota, Oct 27, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  9. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

I'm getting mixed signals!?!?!?!?!?!? :confused: :confused: :confused: some people are telling me if I wait long enough it will be dropped???? Some people are telling me they get arrested for not paying? what's the deal? does anyone know what the actual law is???? I'm going to just pay it.........I wonder if the amount doubles after several years.

10. Fatty FatBastard

The amount doesn't go up, but you get a FTA charge on top of the fine. HPD won't catch it, but anyplace else will. How long ago did you get the ticket?

11. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

i got a ticket for an illegal left turn which was kinda bullshyt. it was at intersection with a sign that said "no left turn between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m."

i made the turn at 5:58. i got pulled over. i got a ticket that said i gotta be in court.

can someone please tell me how long i gotta be there and what i can expect? and is there a way to get rid of the point?

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

lol. You aren't the thread starter so I wasn't talking to you.

I got a speeding ticket in a rental car while driving in North Carolina in '98on vacation. I was living in Michigan at the time. In '99 I moved to Texas and bought a new car and got a new Texas DL. In 2001, I went to renew my DL and found out it was suspended by the state of Michigan! ...but no further info was available. When I contracted Michigan DPS, they told me they suspended my license from North Carolina. After racking my brain, I remembered this speeding ticket that I never paid. So I had to locate North Carolina DPS and have them research this ticket so I could figure out how much the fine was. Only then could I get my TX DL reinstated. :eek:

True Story.

So I had a warrant out for me in North Carolina and Michigan but Texas didn't honor the warrant. Instead, Texas suspended my license instead ...without notifying me. Had I been pulled over during this time, that would have cost me even more $$$.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah,

Times have changed, and states now share information.....I think I had a ticket in Arkansas as I was driving through that I never paid...back in the 80s too.......I should check that out.

I would simply pay the ticket, better safe than sorry.

DD