1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Carr should be traded..........

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Bag0b0y, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

why aren’t you affording carr the same luxury, beyond the obvious fact his name’s not “vince young”?

and this is why i think people like me get their feathers ruffled; you sound like a guy who made his mind up in april 2002. or at least april 2006.

frankly, i have the same hatred… for bob mcnair, who hired a bunch of ****tards to run his franchise and then reacted to their ineptness with all the speed and urgency of a coma patient taking a nap.

so you think maybe a new downtown skyline, perhaps better urban developments, maybe less suburban sprawl would make carr a better a qb? those are the ingredients his game’s been missing?

or did you maybe mean better coaching? better talent? and an organization that doesn’t have its head shoved up it’s own ass?

yeah, no idea where we got that idea…

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The Cards have offensive weapons, and their Oline usually protected Leinart. Also, ML's passing stats are really no different than Kurt Warner's over the past 2 season with the Cards. But hey I do think ML is a keeper. But I not yet going to say he is better and has more upside than Carr. I'd probably take him over Carr, yes, but not a slam dunk yes just yet and he may not be better.

I agree Brees is a better pro football QB than Carr right now. Would I rather have the older and less upside Brees over Carr to build a team, I don't know. Clearly in a similar situation we know which direction the Chargers went facing a similar dilemma, and so far so good.

The Stealers have a superbowl and been at least to the AFC championship round despite of Big Ben. He has really sucked half his playoff games, not just sucked but really sucked, but the defense and running game (and zebras last year) allowed them to be successful some of those games.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

But the thing is....Carr WAS doing as well (better actually) than Leinart did last night....until the Dallas game.

You are probably right. And some here may be shocked to know that I won't be that upset. Maybe not upset at all, when I think about it.

It just seems strange to me that, seeing as how the passing game is the ONLY bright spot in this horrible excuse for a season, we're still talking about getting rid of him.

AJ has been here almost as long as Carr but no one blames him for any of the losing. I love AJ as much as the next guy, but frankly.....Carr is playing better than AJ this year.

4. Hey Now!

you’re missing the big picture; we’re comparing our not-yet 5-year old franchise to arguably one of the saddest, most incredibly inept organizations in all of professional sports the past 25 years.

THAT’S what’s sad. and it has NOTHING to do with david freaking carr.

it’s funny how players can be romanticized, especially when their private parts are jammed down the throats of those paid good money to objectively cover the event (yes, tony k and joey t, i mean you). leinart and carr both led their teams to points on their opening drive.

leinart was 5/5 for 46 yards and TD; carr was 4/5 for 41 yards and a FG. both extremely impressive. edgerrin james rushed for 33 yards on the cardinal drive; the texans rushed for 34….. THE ENTIRE GAME. probably carr’s fault – he wasn’t elevating the guys around him!!!

otherwise, the “great” matt leinart led arizona on scoring drives of 25, 10 and 22 yards in the first half, courtesy of three chicago turnovers. when chicago wasn’t handing leinart excellent field position, he was actually average if not below average.

in the second half, he was 11/24 for 107 yds, 0 tds, 0 ints and a fumble CHI returned for a TD. he was 3/9 of third down passes, meaning six drives ended when he couldn’t convert. no big deal; he’d been so magically, cantonesque great in the first quarter, who needs to deliver in the second half when the other team is mounting a comeback?

my guess is that carr and about 75 other nearly functioning qbs could have done what leinart did last night. not an indictment of carr, but of leinart. he was average, at best, last night.

5. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Did you guys see when Leinart stared down Urlacher before he snapped the ball? I loved that especially from the rookie. It showed leadership and confidence.

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Did you see when rookie (5th round pick) Mark Anderson sacked Matty Boy and caused a FFum that led to a Bears TD. Subsequently, he has 5 more sacks than the $50mill bust known as Mario Williams.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I guess it has nothing to do with playing ahead the every game or Tommie Harris and Brown surronded by urlacher and Briggs? On his sack they didn't even block him.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Clearly, if you're not blaming the organization as a whole... you're blaming Carr.

But, you can't really go out there and be actively doing both at the same time, without looking a tad bit disingenous (and thus the reason for the arguments of Ric, msn, etc.) ... "The Texans have a lot of problems, top to bottom... but that David Carr is bad, and should be traded." :rolleyes:

Calling out one player, but still aknowledging the organization has problems overall, and yet still going back to criticize that ONE player gets you absolutely NOWHERE... unless you just don't like David Carr regardless of what he does (which I suspect is a good many of you).

Well, guess what...
    1. Andre Johnson's development has been hampered... still drops passes.
    2. Dunta Robinson is regressing as a CB... looked better his rookie year.
    3. Jason Babin/Travis Johnson have yet to play like a first round pick and could be cut by the end of the year.
    4. We just cut a guy yesterday that we gave up a future 2nd and 3rd round pick for... I don't need to put a list of the current all-pros, and past HOFers that were drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Lets just say... we overpaid.
    5. We just went through a draft where we drafted LIKE AN EXPANSION team in year 5... drafting a DE, a MLB, and two O-lineman in our first 3 rounds. And yet, the team never had that sort of draft in its first 4 years when the team had losing records, and needed to shore up all those positions before they addressed QB, RB, WR, or CB. That invalidates every "well, its year 5, carr and the team should be great by now..." argument.
    6. A rookie coach, with an entirely different offensive/defensive philosophy, and no prior experience at re-building a team, has just been brought in to re-build a franchise... a franchise that was never "built" in the first place (hence, the misnomer of "re-building.").

But yea... lets continue to discuss Carr as the ring-leader in all these problems. Lets change that before we address anything else. Lets spend more time discussing why Carr sucks, instead of discussing the state of the franchise AS A WHOLE.

#208 Nick, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Kerry Collins has also "led" two different teams to NFC Championship games, and one of them to a Super Bowl.

#209 Nick, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think people aren't reading my posts if they think I'm some sort of Carr-hater. Far from it. I'm pulling for him. But I agree with MadMax that there are quite a few who try to keep him free from all blame, which is crazy.

That's pretty misleading. Yes, James ran for 31 yards (I'll spot you 2) on that drive, but he had 55 for the game on 36 carries. The Cardinals rushed for 66 yards on more than twice as many carries than the Texans….. THE ENTIRE GAME. They gained fewer yards per carry than the Texans. Yet here you are using the same running game efficiency as the reason for Leinart's success and Carr's failure.

I'd equate Carr's initial FG drive with Leinart's 5/6 for 38 yard drive in the fourth quarter that put the Cardinals in a position to win, which was mysteriously absent in your "but hey, who needs to deliver in the second half" rant.

You're right on that being a guess (and I'll reiterate again, missing the big picture or not, it's sad that you have to guess that Carr "could" have done what Leinart did). Simply zero way to prove it -- maybe right, maybe not -- but for facts, we know that Brett Favre, Jon Kitna, Brad Johnson, Matt Hasselbeck and J.P. Losman (who combined for 1 TD and 9 turnovers) couldn't do that against the Bears.

Leinart's performance? Not bad. Given it was his second start in the pros? Pretty good. Given it was against the Bears' defense? Pretty damn good.

But since we're taking guesses, mine would be that if Carr did what Leinart did last night and the Texans lost the way the Cardinals did to the Bears, you and many others here would be all over Carr's jock like it was dipped in Wonka's finest.

11. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Yes, on this point I agree. Here's a crazy thought, do you think Kuby already knows this and is simply trying to get Carr to show good numbers to up his trade value so we could stockpile some draft picks or to possibly get other upgradable FA talent?

Obviously just "cutting" Carr is not an option. I agree though if he hasnt shown leadership by now, he probably wont. It's a shame because he really put up some hideous numbers at Fresno State. A very good university albeit, but success in the collegiate ranks doesnt always translate to the big leagues unfortunately. Plus, his development the first four years was nonexistent because of already aforementioned inept, incompetent coaching a thousand times over. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That's the only logical thing I can come up with ... Carr will probably be shopped somewhere to the highest bidder. The better his numbers are the better trade bait he will be. On a team that has all other pieces in place just needs a QB, he may be a good fit. Just a thought.

12. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Dont mention the Super Bore (Giants vs Ravens) 34-7. He threw 3 picks and the score wasnt even that close. The Giants were never even in that game at all. Afterall, he exhausted his good inconsistent with a 41-0 shellacking of the Vikes in the NFC championship two weeks before. So bad inconsistent was soon to follow. :D

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I'm forced to agree with you but with the caveat that you should always be very careful what you ask for because you may just get it.

I, too, watched Matt Leinart look like an up and coming Marino last night and all I could think about was what David Carr would have looked like had he gone to an organization that didn't hang him out to dry like this one did. At the same time, I also wondered just what Leinart would like after getting sacked for over 200 times.

The sands of the hourglass are rapidly dwindling for David Carr in Houston and perhaps after all that he has been subjected to here it might be better if he got a chance to start over elsewhere. In many ways, he reminds me of Dan Pastorini and Jim Plunkett. Pastorini because of the identical treatment both young QBs received from inept football organizations. Plunkett because both were considered to be busts when they were unable to realize their "promise" on the field whereas Plunkett was able to resurrect his career in Oakland and lead them to two Superbowl wins. One could only hope that Carr gets the same opportunity.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Exactly! But I can understand the depth of discontent with this franchise. A lot of these guys weren't around for the bad old days of the Houston Oilers who made what we're seeing today look like childs play. That team was a running joke for decades with a big joke for an owner and a long line of jokes for coaches. And to top it off, they turn their backs on this city and raise their collective hind legs in everyone's face on their way to Nashville. For many long suffering football fans in Houston, the Texans represented hope and promise and now that promise has been dashed and all that hope has been destroyed.

Guys like MadMax are simply beaten down from all of the pointless losing. They just want this to end. It's far easier to blame Carr because he's still here while Capers & Casserly - the architects of this little disaster - have moved on to "greener" pastures. They don't want to try to understand anymore - thay just want this football nightmare to stop. And, I can respect that feeling because what they are feeling now, I have felt MANY times before with the Oilers and it sucks just as much today as it did back then.

15. Hey Now!

exactly. once the running game abandoned leinart, he looked fairly ordinary, didn't he? why didn't he elevate it with his amazing powers to... elevate things?

well, if he hadn’t fumbled or thrown incompletions on 6 third down plays in the 2nd half, they likely wouldn't have needed a last second drive. but sure, he looked good; poised - leinart is a big-time talent who's been in the spotlight for two years as an amateur. but you know what? carr looked pretty good his rookie year, too, before the franchise left him for dead. notice, carr won his first-ever start; leinart’s still looking for his.

i didn't realize each of those qbs were handed six turnovers and three drives that started inside the bears' 35-yard line.

carr's done what leinart did last night all year long prior to his abysmal second-half performance sunday.

leinart posted a 88.6 qb rating for the game; carr's posted a 94.9 rating for the season. my guess is that if the texan defense was capable of generating turnovers (especially if they could generate 6, including 4 in the first half) and the team was capable of generating any kind of running game, carr could easily do what leinart did last night. and, again, im guessing an innumerable # of quality quarterbacks could also generate 3, less-than-30-yard drives in a game that generates only 13 points.

in fact, if carr HAD been given those advanatges and, like leinart, only generated 1 td and 2 fgs, he'd be crucified in here.

carr's not blameless; hell, i gave up on him last year and had much the same attitude that MM has now. but i've seen him make marked improvements this year and have been encouraged by them. i'm waiting for another facet - ANY - to join him. until then, he. and the team, is going to struggle mightily.

16. proudgreek

proudgreek Member

David Car should not be with the texans. Our coaches made a horrible choice of not drafting Vince Young. He can throw, run, and is not afraid to find a pocket and take it. We have a horrible offensive line, and if our QB is afraid to run the ball, then he should not be QB

17. proudgreek

proudgreek Member

David Carr should not be on the Texans. I'm sure our coaches deeply regret not drafting Vince Young. Because our Offensive Line is horrible, we need a qb who is not afraid to the run the ball. Carr is afraid to find a pocket, and VY isnt

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ric, if you bothered reading my posts instead of worrying about cute responses, you'd know that i never said i thought VY would come in and win immediately. i knew the texans would lose, with or without him...so i didn't see any harm in developing a new QB along the way.

i'm tired of being patient with david carr. 4.5 years in. the guy isn't a playmaker. he's a game manager, at best. those are replaceable. i'd rather gamble big on upside...particularly when you have absolutely nothing to lose.

this team needs some playmakers on both sides of the ball. QB is just as good a position as any else to have one situated.

19. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

DAVID CARR WOULD STILL SUCKS if you put him on the

GIANTS
    CINN
    JACKSONVILLE

or ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE .... DUDE SUCKSSSS!!!!!!!!!

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

How can you argue with such sound logic and thoughtful analysis. :rolleyes: