1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets the team to watch?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LEL0, Aug 12, 2001.

1. LEL0

LEL0 Member

After doing a lot of reading in different websites i seem to find that most people do think that the rockets are the team to beat should they land a center.

"The Rockets are the team to watch in the West if they can land Marc Jackson to take Dream's place. "

I mean lets say the rockets dont land jahidi white or jelani mccoy.... lets face it we still got a shot.... lets use for instance the 76ers.... they had dikembe mutombo who isnt a offense threat such as cato... but it was there back court that made them win... I mean lets be realistic sure there aint another player like Iverson but i truly believe that if steve francis would shoot as many shots as Iverson did then Francis would be even a better player than him... all i ask from catothis year is .... not to score 40 points like dream used to do but just to go out there and play some d and get us a couple of boards and maybe even pitch in about 8 or 10 points.

Overall i liked the trade for Glen Rice he brings leadership and experience to this team which we dont have. so overall i see the rockets finishing 6th in west. But hey winning a championship in the 6th spot isnt always impossible....
    -Lelo

2. rocket red

rocket red Member

The center position is key to the Rockets success this coming year. Lets hope Rudy and CD have another trade in the works.

3. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I wish we could get Marc Jackson or Jahidi White, but we do not have money under the cap now because of the Glen Rice deal. Rice will be hard to trade...

4. treeman

treeman Member

If Cato wakes up and shakes off the funk, then this team will be a very scary team to play against, even in the West. Remember that when he comes to play, he's one of the only 5's in the league who can actually reject Shaq (not that that in and of itself is really relevant)... Anyhoo, any help at the 5 spot will make this a scary team.

As it is now with the Rice trade, we might very well lead the league in scoring, IMO.

5. LEL0

LEL0 Member

You're absolutely right Tree-Man... Lets say that Cato dont score 20 0r 30 points but he is someone who can actually hold a premier center in this league which alot of centers around the league cant do. and about the whole glen rice thing lets say he can play d right.... but dont you think that what we got eddie griffin backing him up for? i mean do u actually think that glen rice will be in the game when the game is on the line and we're playing a quick strong foward such as scottie pippen? i mean in those situations u have to play eddie for defensive reasons. to me eddie griffin was the best rookie the rockets could had gotten in the draft.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Its an exciting time to be in Houston isnt it.:)

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Damn, you lost all credibility with that one! :(

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't have a clue how this Rocket team will jell chemistry wise or if they will ever stop anyone from scoring. But I know I am gonna have a ton'o'fun this year watchin em wear out the nets. I am so tired of watching 80-78 , iso, illegal defense basketball I was thinkin of takin up watching scoccer for some excitment.

Win or lose gimme 100+ points a night, with some run'n'gun showtime, ally oopin' three jackin' hoops baby!

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

The Rockets are a team to watch.

Simply because they could sink or swim.

But if Franchise, mobley, Taylor improve, Rice scores and at least plays some defense, and Cato steps in and gives us average, or slightly below, we could be one of the most dangerous in the league.

10. JAG

JAG Member

What kind of leadership does Glen Rice provide? There's a difference between being old and being a leader...He might lead the team, if you're looking for a mutiny...

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

people, we're talking about alot of "ifs" when we talk about the rockets playoff chances.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

What do you have against Rice? Give the guy a chance. If we are going to do well this year, a lot depends on how well he plays.

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Cato is the key for Rockets to succeed. Pretty much looks like everything are all in places.

Shape up or get ship out! Straight up! :p

14. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

No doubt. Are you retarted given Quitten props on this site? :mad: "Mr. CoatTails" hasnt been quick or strong since he got pooped out of MJ's a$$.

Rock's with a decent Cato (big IF) and healthy Rice will be VERY dangerous. Title team in 3 yrs or less. :D

15. Yakeem ASunKing

Rockets with a healthy rice and a Cato playing up to his potential, and we go to the conference finals. i'm not really holing my breath tho.

16. Yakeem ASunKing

Rockets with a healthy rice and a Cato playing up to his potential, and we go to the conference finals. i'm not really holding my breath tho.

17. treeman

treeman Member

The only "if" I'm worried about is Cato. If Cato plays even halfway decent D and makes some wide open dunks & ally-oops, then this is a very scary team. The rest of the starters are pretty dependable, and we've got some decent backups and depth at the most important spots (3&4 - in terms of depth & flexibility, that is).

If Cato shows up then there are no "if"s.

18. kubli

kubli Member

Do you not remember that Rice was one of the elite players in the league just three years ago? If you went from that to 3rd option to KOBE AND SHAQ, and then as a bench player with the NY Knicks defensive style of play, wouldn't you complain a little?

19. JrocketB

JrocketB Member

IMO, I think that we will get to see Steve and Cuttino become a lot more assertive with their leadership roles on this team. I don't think that Geln Rice will necessarily be a leader, but more a "silent majority". But with Steve officially running the team now, I really think that there will start to be some changes....that everyone will adopt more of a "gamer's" mentality. That being said, I think that most of the potential we see in this team will start to rear it's head this year.

C'mon October......hurry up and get here.......

20. haven

haven Member

Marc Jackson's value is far overstated. As I've said many times before: mediocre defense, zero shotblocking, not a 3pt threat, very slow, no post game. If you want a guy who shoots 12 foot jumpers and rebounds adequately, Jackson's your man. And I don't think he's worth the roster spot.