1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Updated Standings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by XXX, Aug 11, 2001.

1. XXX

XXX Member

Now that Houston has aquired Glen Rice, will their record and standing improve in the 2001-2002 season?

Rockets- 50+ wins
    #5 seed
    :)

2. XXX

XXX Member

Record: 52-30

3. treeman

treeman Member

Well, which is it? #5 or #6? They can't be both :rolleyes:

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

54-28 5th seed

Rockets defeat Spurs in first round, and stun the Lakers when Glen Rice averages 39 points as the Rockets win in 7 games. The Rockets advance to the Finals, after defeating the Blazers in six games in the conference finals. But in the end, they fall to the Raptors in 7 games, as the Dream knocks down a turnaround J at the buzzer. The next year, the Rockets sweep the Bucks in the finals, as Francis averages 45 points to win the Finals MVP.

Actually, I expect the wins and seed to be the same. I also see the Rockets defeating the Spurs in the first round, but losing to the Lakers in 7 games the next.

5. treeman

treeman Member

ZRB, you are getting too damn optimistic. It's creepy.

52-30. 6th seed. Second round exit.

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Optimism is only phase one of my evil plan.

Muh hu hu ha ha ha haaaaa!!!

:D

7. XXX

XXX Member

hummm...

:confused:

8. rocket red

rocket red Member

The Rockets will be either 7 or 8th seed. It will take a good part of the first half of the season for all the new players to gell as a team.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The acquisition of Glen Rice just might make this a playoff team this year. It's so hard to say though, not having seen them play together. I have no idea if this team will really gel. I have no idea what to expect from Eddie Griffen....or Kelvin Cato for that matter. I'll say this...I THINK their chances of making the playoffs just improved. In terms of scoring, Rice replaces Olajuwon's points....but plays nearly every game, a stark contrast from Hakeem at this stage of his career!

I'll say they get the 8th spot.....but they aren't gonna beat the Spurs, ZRB's crack induced hallucinations notwithstanding! ;)

10. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Losing Hakeem, Anderson and probably Bullard, possibly Norris.

Gaining Rice (34 year old vet), Griffin (19 year old rookie), Morris (2nd round end of the bench player) and Hill (Moochie insurance).

And this leapfrogs us over Minnesota (swap Ellis for Joe Smith), Phoenix (Penny's finally health), Portland (too much talent) and Utah or Dallas to a 5th seed?

You really think those teams have fallen off so bad this offseason that getting a more consistent shooter at the 3 and losing the all-time leader in shotblocking will make us better than them?

Keep in mind, 10 teams in the west had a better conference record than we did. If we hadn't feasted on the east, or if they had played better out of conference, we wouldn't have made 9th in the standing.

Oh yeah, the Clippers only had two fewer wins against the east than the Rockets. Do you think they might improve this year?

#10 Tb-Cain, Aug 12, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2001
  11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

52-30, 5th seed

Rockets take the Blazers to 5 in the first round before going down. 2003, however, will be a totally different story...

12. silent j

silent j Member

Couldn't agree more. It took the first quarter of the season to get Mo Taylor acclimated to this team, although he never knew if he was a center or a forward. We'll be starting this season with 2 new starters and what could be 4 new rotation guys. It'll take some time to get that together.
    j

13. treeman

treeman Member

I'm not so sure it will be as difficult as it has been in the past. For starters, as of now we've only got one change in the starting lineup - Rice @ 3 - as the 5 spot has yet to be addressed.

I personally don't think that starting Rice will pose much of a chemistry problem, because everyone already knows his abilities. Chemistry invloves knowing what everyone can do, which affects decision making and timing. It can even be argued that the chemistry with Rice will be better than it was with Shandon because Steve in particular never knew which Shandon was playing (the one who scored 25 pts on 10-16 or the one who scored 2 pts on 0-9 shooting). With Rice you know what you're getting, and you won't have to wave him off...

Hakeem was gone anyway. Cato has been there a while. Everyone already knows what he's good for: ally-oops, wide open dunks, and some blocking/rebounding work. Of course, he is also a ? on any given night...

On the whole, though, I don't expect the roster changes to have a significant impact on chemistry development. Maybe the first 10-20 games it will be a factor, but not half a season.

14. drpepper

drpepper Member

In order for us to get to at least a 6th seed, we need to keep both Bullard and Moochie. Those guys know all the plays and they now where Francis and Cat like to dish out to. Plus, if Langhi isn't able to make the transition to the NBA game, we are gonna need Bull. He was the only player that consistantly knocked down the open shot (shotting 44% from 3's) last year. I'm not counting on Morris too much after seeing (and hearing about) him throwing up so many air balls in the RMR.
    We won't get in the playoffs with 3 Rook's , no C and 5 new players.
    It's vital that we keep some of our own veterans to be successful in the post season.

with - 6th without- 9th
    51-31 44-38

15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

50 wins. We will be better in the West but won't come close to what we did in the East. 7th seed. Pig Miller is sounding better all the time.

16. treeman

treeman Member

drpepper - Bull is already inked w/ Charlotte. Done deal, kaput. But of all the positions to be worried about now, SF is not one of them.

17. drpepper

drpepper Member

yea, just read that. I'll miss him, but I think he'll be happy. We are gonna have a very different team next year.

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I'm assuming we keep Moochie or sign a quality PG to back up Francis, because we're going to need a competent point. 52-30, #6 seed. I think the Rockets will stay in the Midwest title chase until the end. I can see the Rockets playing San Antonio, Sacramento or Dallas in the first round, and the Rocks can beat any of those teams.

#18 RocksMillenium, Aug 12, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2001
  19. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

record 78-4

Get swept in season series w/ Clipps.

Cuttino named defensive player of the year.

Cato named comeback player of the year averaging 4.75 blocks 16.5 boards 13 points and .6 fouls a game.

Mooch records first album after not being signed in offseason.

20. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Oh yeah lose first round playoff series to sonics. Rashard Lewis abuses Griff and Rice to the tune of 37.3 ppg in series.:(