1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ex Oiler Fans Support Titans or Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch City1993, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I would have liked VY and the Titans until he failed his Wonderlics. No child left behind!

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He scored higher than Dan Marino.

DD

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

On the re-test with the answer key ;)

4. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I support the Texans!

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I've been desperately trying to get into the Texans, especially now that I'm back in Houston. But everytime I watch them now I just get angry about the Mario Williams pick.

I'm sorry but passing on Bush AND Young was so ridiculous that I just can't stand to get enthusiastic.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Actually (I just looked this up) but the last real Houston Oiler on the team was Brad Hopkins, the left tackle, who retired in mid june. Now that guy was a veteran, I remember when he the oilers drafted him and he was a rookie starter on the Run & Shoot teams. Very underappreciated player.

7. dwaldman

dwaldman Member

I grew up in Houston, and cherished the Oilers. When they moved to Tennessee, I didn't blame the players or the team for that. It was Bruce Matthews and Eddie George and Steve McNair Still, and I loved them. I mean the Oilers were Bruce and Ray for so long... That WAS the Oilers, and when they moved to Tennessee, it didn't change the Columbia Blue that Matthews bled. And so they were my team. Every year the Oiler connection leaked out of the Titans until now there is no connection but Fisher. One greedy prick sucked the life out of Tradition and history and the columbia blue is relegated to fond memories of Earl the Pearl, Moon, Jeffries, Givens, Ray, Matthews.... It's gone, and I'm disenfranchised. The Texans are like Minutemaid park (Never been to Reliant) They are novel, themeparky, kinda fake. My Wife went to new york recently and said "It looks just like New, New York Hotel in Vegas" I corrected her that it's the other way around. The city was the reality and the Hotel just a facsimile. The Texans are no different. A dollar driven reproduction of the NFL... I thought Vince Young was an ass, but maybe a hometown boy as the image is exactly what this city needed to start building some tradition, some connection to the city. I'm without a team. The Texans are still just an amusement park to me.

8. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

As amusement parks go, Astroworld was better and they tore it down.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Loved to watch the Titans right after they left town...It was great seeing them in the SuperBowl...I still look at them now, and will do so more when VY gets to play...

That being said, I'll watch the Texans over the TItans anyday...it's 11:19 and Carr stills sux...

10. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

So, now you're a Pokes fan? You the man! :D

11. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

If a team doesn't have Houston written on their chests than i don't give a rats about them.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the titans and the old oilers are underrated at drafting. as much as they dissappointed in the playoffs, overall they have to be one of the more successful organizations over the last 20 years.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So you don't root for the Rockets?

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Clutch City1993? Does tinman have another alias on the board?

15. TexasEx

TexasEx Member

My story is similar to some here... I grew up a diehard Oilers fan. When the franchise departed for Tennessee, I continued to follow the team because of guys like Steve McNair, Eddie George, Bruce Matthews, etc - players I LOVED to watch! When the Texans along - I just couldn't get attached to the franchise like I did to the Oilers - part of that was b/c I was living in Austin at the time and did not get inundated daily on Texans news. So I followed my beloved Longhorns from close proximity and the Titans from afar.

*Kevin Dyson's outstretched arm nearly killed me in the Super Bowl.*

I moved back to Houston 3.5 years ago and just couldn't get into the Texans. Then when they had the opportunity to draft Vince Young - I was ecstatic. I was ready to become a full-fledged Texans fan. When Mario's name was officially called out on draft day - I decided I would NEVER root for the Texans... My heart was ripped from its chest... No Vince in Houston.

Now I have even more reason to root for the Titans - which I was starting to give up on once it became official that McNair was gone...

16. Toast

Toast Member

They were fun to watch when they were still the Oilers. Eddie George & Steve McNair were young, up-and-comers ...

But that team's gone. There's very little left of what used to be the Oilers. Now it's Go TEXANS! all the way.

17. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

If the Titans had stayed the Oilers, it would've been a little more difficult for me not to follow them at least a little bit. Changing the logo, etc. really helped me to think of the Titans as a completely different team than the one I had been a fan of for most of my life.

I tried being a Texans fan, and I still consider myself a Texans fan, but I really just don't watch much football anymore.

18. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

For all the crap MW is getting, VY has looked terrible over the past 2 weeks. That goal-line INT was one of the worst passes Ive seen in a couple seasons, and he gets shut down even on designed run plays.

VY is not Vick-quick... and he won't be able to run over NFL defenders. And he's not exactly known for his touch.

If we wanted a QB we should have gone Cutler. I still wonder if this team would have been better off taking Ferguson or Bush, but Im glad we passed on VY. Esp. since Carr looks pretty good out there considering how bad his o-line is.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't understand. I would DIE without football. How do you do it?

:confused:

20. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Well they do have HOUSTON written on the jersey when they have the retro jersey nights. ;)