1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Phillies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 4, 2006.

1. superden

superden Contributing Member

Brian Baldinger has absolutely NO idea what the hell he is talking about. I can guarantee that MW is a fast twitch muscle guy. I have taken my share of anatomy, physiology, exercise physiology, biomechanics, etc. When a guy his size can run a 4.4 (I think that is how fast he ran the 40? I am not too sure, but I know it was real fast), I promise he has MANY fast twitch muscles. I seriously doubt that any NFL player (maybe except kickers and even there it is probably not true) would have a significant amount of slow twitch muscles. Baldinger just sounds flat out stupid.

2. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

what a bunch a stupid crap from that fat schmuck Baldinger. :rolleyes:

3. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

The reason Mario Williams is not productive yet has nothing to do with red (slow) or white (fast) twitch muscle fibers... it has everything to do with the GRAY. Mario does not have the understanding of the game that most DL have-- and having him move all over the DL during preseason didnt help.

I think now that theyve planted him at DE he will start to show something. I expect that he will have a nice 3 game stretch against Wash, Miami, Dallas.

My main problem with MW isnt that he isnt getting sacks, but that he sometimes appears to take plays off. Hopefully the stamina will also improve now that he is playing only one position.

Of course, this article is stupid, because fast/slow twitch only matters for sprinters. If a player is 75% fast twitch then he does not have the stamina to play more than 1-2 downs per possession. If a player is 75% slow twitch then he does not have the burst to get off the line. I made those %ages up, but what Im saying is that all these guys are pretty similar as far as muscle fibers go...its technique and instincts that seperate them, and that has nothing to do with fast/slow twich.

This article is a hack job... Im surprised he didnt advertise herbal supplements to increase sexual prowess at the end of it..

4. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

I agree that a career isn't made off 2 games but that doesn't chage the fact that he's looked like crap. No point in making excuses, until he does something then I'm not giving him any credit whatsoever.

Someone said "how about giving him some props when he deserves them". I'll be the first to do so but you're delirious if you think he deserves any credit thus far.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mario doesn't have a good motor.....he reminds me of Stromile Swift...workout warrior, and some games animal, but most games panzy.

DD

6. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

At least Stro would make a few plays. Don't get me wrong, Swift sucked but t least he'd block a shot or dunk on someone every now again. He coud get the crowd fired up occassionally. Mario can too but it's only when they're booing his ass off the field

7. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Mario is going to suffer from Texan fans zeroing in on him play after play. I watch him, when I can pick him out, far more than I have watched any other lineman. I suspect most defensive lineman are ineffective on many of there plays, they are blocked away from the play, they are blocked, they are away from the action, they rush like mad and the QB throws the ball before they get there. Maybe Where's Mario is doing a decent job for a rookie defensive lineman and we just don't know it.

8. Possum

Possum Member

If a player isn’t gifted with great speed, DE isn’t a position that he is going to come right in and dominate at. He is not a Dwight Freeny type of player. A pure speed guy that will blow by offensive lineman and get sacks. Mario is a RARE physical specimen with a combination of size, strength and speed. Once he learns technique we will see what kind of a player he really is.

Everyones expectations of him are just ridiculous. He is a 21 year old rookie for gods sake. People want to cry because he isnt racking up sacks. Thats delirious! Give him time to learn some moves before labeling him a bust. He just needs time to grow into his position.

Speaking of bust, anyone see Bush’s stat line? Talk about over hyped. 6 carries 5 yards! Now RB is a position that you should be able to come in show your worth right off the bat. Gale Sayers my arse. Maybe Donte Hall.

By the way. Mario got robbed of a sack on Manning. They gave it to Greenwood who wasnt even close to Manning when he went down. Dont beleive me? It was the first play of the 3rd quarter. Watch it and tell me what you think.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I agree. But remember....we were told that Mario would have an instant impact. When they drafted him, conventional wisdom was he was better than the alternatives because players taken high in the draft on the D-line are able to contribute immediately. So...there was kind of an expectation there.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think when they said "instant impact" they meant he would contribute his first season. I don't think they neccasarily meant his first game.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

totally agreed.

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

I understand your sentiments. I was upset about the pick at first, but then I started hearing his coaches and teammates rave about him in mini camp and practice and I thought, maybe he is the real deal. By no means am I saying its too late, but I hope he can show us a flash of potential or something because to this point, there has been nothing.

13. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Should of drafted Reggie..

14. Possum

Possum Member

Yeh his 5 yards in 6 attempts would of won the game for us. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Wasn't talking about winning the game.. just saying.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Okay...way to contribute to the thread.

17. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

You know it's amazing!

If we HAD drafted Bush, you all would be first to slam the organization if he got injured where his season or career was ultimately done. They're putting all their eggs in one basket! Why?

But, we got Mario and all you people can say is bust, bust, bust.

Because some of you all want this organization to fail so you can thumb your nose at them as being idiots along with a majority of the ESPN and other sports media pundits.

Anyway, yes Mario needs to show something and fast even for me to keep from chirping but, I think the next couple of weeks his progression will be shown and he think he's gonna be on Bledsoe's ass like white on rice.

We'll see though ...

18. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Not trying to contribute, just speaking my mind.

19. Possum

Possum Member

like I said before. Speaking of bust, anyone see Bush’s stat line? Talk about over hyped. 6 carries 5 yards! Now RB is a position that you should be able to come in show your worth right off the bat. Gale Sayers my arse. Maybe Donte Hall.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why would anyone say that?
    Are All our eggs *not* in one basket with Mario?

I mean . . .It is not like we would have traded 7 rounds of picks for Bush
    He would have been drafted at the same position as Mario for near the same
    price. . .

The all our eggs in one basket thing .. doesn't jive
    Also
    I Mario is injured. . would it be any less the same situation ?

Rocket River