1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Phillies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 4, 2006.

1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Hard to not say, hey, were are Mario's stats...I know, he supposedly makes the whole line better, but it didin't show yesterday...Bush sucked yesterday too...

We need Mario to have a monster game...

3. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

Richard Justice can be the biggest putz.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no, i didn't intend to communicate that i thought he was benched. just that i didn't see him in as much as i would have liked.

5. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

Are you serious? 8 catches for 70 yds is a "solid day" if it's addition to 70-100 yds rushing. Short of LT no running back does that on a consitant basis. That's ridiculous to even hold Tomlinson to that standard.

Bush has been far from spectacular. He's splitting carries with Deuce and his touches are mainly coming in the passing game. That being said, at least the dude is contributing. Same with VY. He got on the field yesterday and led two drives. It may have been against scrubs in a blowout but at least he contributed and showed something. Leinart and Cutler aren't playing so that's a moot point.

Peppers, Freeney, Ulracher, Ray Lewis, Shawne Merriman all make huge impacts for their teams (and did so from day one). Forget about even talking about the other guys just stick to Mario. The guy looks absolutely terrible. It was damn near impossible to even tell he was on the field. The defense consitantly fan at him (and ran screeens) because he hasn't done anything. Some people are operating under the false pretense that we want Williams to fail because we wanted different players. That couldn't be farther from the truth. As a Texan fan it is frustating to watch a number #1 pcik look so lost on the field that it's not even funny. Babin got some pressure and so did Peek. Ryans in undersized and he's everywhere. Williams looks like he doesn't care. That's an assumption but he looks nothing like what we were told he was. If he was supposed to be a project DE then this was the worst pick in franchise history. This team may be worse then last years.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

8 catches for 70 yards is solid production, but I wouldn't say that is the type of production most GM's would pay their RB $50M for. Yes, LT can't go out on the norm and have 80 yards on 8 catches. Who cares. I want my RB running the damn ball!!!! Granted, Bush is splitting carries (as he has for his whole post high school career as he doesn't seem to be a traditional runner)..but don't front like you want your RB with like 5 yards rushing.

As another poster mentioned earlier, Peppers did not dominate from day 1. The statline from his first game is similar to Mario's.

7. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I wonder if you know what Peppers did in his second game, or what he did the whole of his first year.

I hope Mario is like Peppers. But using him as a comparison only ends with that first game.

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I agree. But we are only working with a 2 game sample here man....

9. Summer Song Giver

Mario looked better yesterday, he had some push and pressured Manning at least twice; not spectacular but it was improvement. Mario strikes me as a lull you to sleep type player, maybe not ideal but he made some plays. He is also not playing a postion where he is going to stand out on every play. Yesterday was a step in the right direction for sure, just a baby step maybe but give him props when he earns them.

10. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

I said forget about Bush. The only thing i said was that at least Bush and VY have shown something. With the way Carr is dumping the ball off (ala DD when he was healthy) Bush would have been perfect. He would also be getting more carries then 6 with us. I never said Bush played great so it's moot anyways.

Williams looks absolutely terrible. That's why I said forget other guys and talk about Mario. He sucks so far. We've seen him in 6 games and he hasn't done anything except get close to the QB on a play or 2. That's my complaint. I want to watch good football and that's not what I'm seeing. If i saw progress, hustle, a good football IQ, just something out of him then I wouldn't be so damn pissed at our front office. He made himself at the combine. Look at his college career. He dominated against like 4 teams. I refuse to defend the guy until he does something other then make a tackle or two.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd take Julius Peppers' second game....

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302214/gamelogs/2002

12. Coach AI

That's the point. Until something (hopefully) changes with Mario, the two games have killed the 'but Julius Peppers!' example.

It just shouldn't be used until Mario is kicking ass like we hope he will.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So judging his career potential based on 1 game is irrational, but judging it on 2 games isn't?

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

against detroit, who would end 2002 with the league's second-worst record; even our own expansion texans had a better showing in their first-ever season. mario's second game was against a slightly better colt team.

i've kept very quiet about MW... but i think he's going to have a very loud, disruptive second half of the season.

16. Coach AI

No; it's all foolish. As in; it's just as foolish to say 'well Julius Peppers started off slow!' because it doesn't mean anything and is proven a moot point by the second game anyway.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

18. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

Now that MW is playing one position he looks to be getting some penetration. A lot of that is also due to Weaver being relatively effective as well.

I think this defense will get some sacks on the Redskins, and I think this will be MW's coming out party.

Of course, all this would be easier if we had an NFL caliber CB and FS in our defense... two needs I expect to be filled on the first day of this coming draft.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

As soon as Dwayne Slay thinks he can play, I'd sign him up as a safety. He outplayed Michael Huff their entire careers in the Big 12. If he's healthy, he can help the Texans' secondary.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.