1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carr Playing Well, Rest of team sucks...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Joshaaronb, Sep 17, 2006.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

my bad...read too fast. its still ridiculous.

2. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

Which is why Casserly as the hire for GM was the biggest mistake the Texans have made in their history.

3. blackistan

blackistan Member

At least there would be some excitement from game to game if we had him and we would have someone to watch even if the rest of the team sucks

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

ROFLOL

I calls em as I sees em.....good or bad.....

Danged the torpedoes full speed ahead !!

DD

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think considering this team looks as bad as last season, I will say that firing Capers is a bad move. Its obvious he wasn't he problem. One thing I can say about Capers is that the Texans played hard for him. The only game I thought the Texans quit in as a whole was the end of the third season against Cleveland when they could have finished 8-8.

Alot of people want to blame Capers for Carr for not focusing on offense more, but the simple fact is the best bet for early success is defense.

I don't know if Kubiak is the answer but I really questioning handing this mess to a first year head coach and GM. They may set this organization back another 5 years.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Are you serious? This team is better than last year, not even close. Look at who we've played so far...Philly and Indy.

Look at the first game last year against the Bills, who posted a 5-11 record.

We lost 22-7
    David Carr was 9-21 for 70 yards, O TDs and 3 INTs
    DD rushed for 48 yards.
    Our leading receiver was Andre...3 catches for 18 yards.

Against a 5 win team????

You cant possibly say we are on that same level this year.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

instead of doing all that, let's just look at the indy game last season 31-17. so looking at the same opponent, whom I believe who won the conference title, the loss to them this year was just as bad if not worse. and indy didn't even look like all that good against the giants.

#87 pgabriel, Sep 19, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We played Indy on the road,a team many having winning the Super Bowl.In addition,Philly has as good a chance of any NFC team of going to the Super Bowl too.Those were mountains to climb in our first two games.The brutal deal is that we lost Spencer.

And it's amazing what a guy can do when he has at least something resembling an offensive line(albeit briefly)for the first time.David Carr can be that gunslinger we saw in that initial preaseason game...just NEEDS protection.We've already seen glimpses of where this offense is headed and I like it.Eventually when this defense matures,the Texans will need a quarterback that doesn't make mistakes.Carr is that QB with perrenial all pro talent.The Texans should have Winston starting soon and when Spencer finally recovers we should have bookends.Toss in Johnson,Moulds,and a yet to be determined RB and you'll see David Carr and the Houston Texans flourish.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can't say we're worse than last year. but SO FAR we look no better. we'll see how we look against easier competition. but from what i've seen so far, there is no way i can tell you we've improved.

i will say carr looks better, so far.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I can agree, I was gonna say the only improvement looks to be Carr, and that's partly because the texans finally made one decent free agent move in getting moulds.

11. MadMax

i don't know how anyone can look at the last 2 losses and say they know we're better. we got our butts handed to us twice. given we played two tough teams....but all you've seen is that. so given all we've seen, how in the world could anyone make the argument that they know we're better than last year? we need to play some more mediocre talent before i can get a gauge on that.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

asinine.

did anyone watch the colt game; i mean, watch the colt game? first series: sack, fumble. second series: run, sack, run, iirc. third series, behind dayne, the texans move to the colt 23; lundy's fumble killed the drive. fifth series, carr goes 5/7; leads team to FG. [they had a 15-yard chop block on the fourth series, which stuck them in a 2-and-20, which is why i'm not mentioning it... except for when i mention that i'm not mentioning it.]

kubiak (and the rest of the world that isn't blind) recognized freeney and mathis were rushing come hell or high water; it led to two sacks and -8 yards on the first five plays of the game. so he did something capers and company never did in 4 years - he made an in-game adjustment. he ran dayne three consecutive times off tackle right to where freeney and mathis were supposed to be and picked up 19 yards.

he forced the colts to adjust to something we were doing, a nearly revolutionary concept for this franchise. by the fifth series, freeney and mathis had been achored to the line and carr had time to throw. and, lo and behold, it led to a scoring drive.

capers would have spent the next 14 games and the offseason NOT making even that simple adjustment, choosing instead to stare blankly into space before writing down phantom notes.

to say we're not better off with kubiak is bordering on "dumbest statement ever."

this is actually a fair and decent point....

followed by a decidedly undecent point. CAPERS set this organization back 5 years; so, too, did casserly as well as mcnair for not acting faster. unearth vince lombardi and you're looking at a 3-5 year rebuild.

this team has no talent. none. zero. within two years, i'd wager more than 11 of last sunday's starters will be gone. they are starting from scratch.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

they changed systems from a 3-4 to a 4-3 with a roster primarily built for the 3-4. they have 5 new starters including two rookies and a 3rd string CB. neither safety would start on any of the other 31 teams in the league, nor would shantee orr.

15. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Capers better than Kubiak? What the hell have you been smoking? :confused:

Hey remember PG, Capers did not know ADJUSTMENT or how to adequately game plan. Oh yes, the cover 2 was like kryptonite to superman especially in the Packers game in 2004 but you dont remember that Capers do you? :rolleyes: Remember 'deer in the headlights' Dom? Remember 'somebody give me a hug, because everyone here hates me', Dom. I guess he really knew how to do things better than anyone else. :rolleyes:

Did you even bother to engage your brain before posting this crap?

Oh yeah, instead of PF 34; PA 67 we would be PF 6; PA 115. Eagles 52, Texans 3 and Colts 63, Texans 3 but, yes Capers is really a good coach no really he is, no really i mean it, he just needed more time to develop his expertise. :rolleyes: If he and Fangio were such defensive geniuses why were we always getting punk'd by good playoff teams? Chris Palmer no reply needed. Bla, bla, bla ...

I will retort further on this, in 2-3 weeks after PG's analysis is blown sky high.

As of right now ...

Quite possibly the dumbest post I have ever seen on here.

16. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I don't think pgabs (though I disagree with him most of the time) has attacked either you or ric. If he has, then by all means have at it. :) If he hasn't, this sh*t is not needed.

Calm down.

17. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

Have you even watched the Texans play?

Capers did not believe in adjustments-- he believed in playing the same way the whole freaking game regardless of the score or situation.

Kubiak, from an offensive standpoint, has made a lot of good adjustments and I think the running game will start to take hold over the next 1-2 weeks.

Capers is a terrible HC... a decent DC but he does not have what it takes to be a HC in the NFL.

18. MadMax

what's with the personal attacks?? geez.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Bite me.

20. MadMax

:D brilliant