1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Training camp in Austin??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thephatp, Sep 6, 2006.

1. thephatp

thephatp Contributing Member

Man, I can't believe no one has posted about the article from clutch, yet.

Rockets May Hold Camp in Austin

Not that there is a lot to talk about, but this is REALLY exciting for Rockets fans in Austin.

How many practices will be open to the public? And how will we find out about them??? I want to make it to as many practices as are available and open to the public!!

Any have any idea when/how to find out?

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch,

can you let me in? also you need to make a Rockets history test. if people fail they shouldn't get in practice. also, special memorobilia should be in consideration. if you have a picture of yourself with Rocket legends like Otis Thorpe, or have Dream or Calvin's autograph, or have an old school jersey, like Maxwell or Cassell, you should automatically get a pass too.

only us real fans deserve to watch the Rockets (a championship organization) in Austin (a championship town).

3. two-sandwiches

According to some around here you are only a real fan if you live in Houston...whatever......

4. tinman

Supporting Member

you have to live in Houston at some point in your life to endure the prechampionship struggle. but its ok if you dont live there and just admire a team with heart.

for those who say u have to live in htown. those aren't real fans. real fans went and attended to Rocket games at a place called THE SUMMIT.

real Rocket fans love and respect:
    Vernon Maxwell
    Ralph Sampson
    John Lucas
    Lewis Lolyd
    Mitchell Wiggins

real Rocket fans demand Calvin Murphy get his job back.

real Rocket fans listen to Gene and Jim on the radio when they can't watch the game.

real Rocket fans are proud of Kenny Smith.

real Rocket fans still honor and respect former Rocket greats like Sam Cassell.

that's the definition. anyone posting any other law contradicting the ones above are liars.

#4 tinman, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

tinman, rockets training camp is in Galveston, you know that.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Austin is a special place.

One of the 1st preseason games after the Rockets won the 1st championship was in Austin at the Erwin Center.

Us TRUE LOYAL fans showed up and gave them a standing O.

Real Rocket fans in Austin have to battle it out with the Spurs fans and dreaded Maverick fans. Cause we have to deal with adversity and punks with Nowitski jerseys, we show hearts of champions.

Real Rocket fans want Robert Horry and Cassell to do well for the rest of their careers. To show that heroes like Horry, Cassell, and Mario Elie helped and played significant roles in other teams championships. that further implys that the Rocket Championship TEAM (TEAM. TEAM. TEAM) wasnt about 1 super player. it wasnt about 1 hero. it was about many heroes.

it only proves that the Rockets championships > Detriot bad boys
    > =Celtics
    >= Lakers
    > Spurs
    > Detroit part 2
    >=Bulls

7. tinman

Supporting Member

clutch's article says that they may have some camp days in austin. so thats good.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

oh let me give you an example

Rockets Championship > Lakers

lets take Magic Johnson post Lakers, failed TV show host
    lets take Kenny Smith post Rockets, EMMY AWARD WINNER for Inside the NBA on TNT

Rockets!

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, tinman, perhaps you need to have some remedial viewings of Double Clutch to understand the significance of a Galveston training camp.

10. The Fever

The Fever Member

With the shooting stuggles of TMac and the Rockets in general at the TC, they should hold training camp in Houston so everyone can get used to the arena.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I remember the Galveston training camp. there was nothing to do back then in Galveston besides go crabbing or fishing. So the Rockets had to play ball!

We need Yao in Austin. They can have a Rockets boat party on the lake!
    Tmac and Yao on the Sea doos.

12. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Is she really your wife man? If she is, you're the man!
    Your website should be like :" For $19.99 I'll show you how to pull beautiful, talented babes no matter what you look like!" :)

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

She's Clutch, the Bear's wife. Clutch is not Clutch the Bear. Assuming you're talking about one of the powerdancers...didn't read the thread, just got to the end and saw this question.

14. thephatp

No, I think he's talking about my signiture...

And YES, she IS my wife...I'm very blessed! :) You'll notice I'm not in any of the pictures... HAHA! :D

Thanks for the compliment, generalthade_03!

15. thephatp

Hey tinman, what about the younger fans? I was 12 when I started watching basketball, just before the championship years. I enjoyed the championships, but I didn't feel I deserved to claim them like others. But then I though, you know, it's not my fault I'm young. :) So I do claim them.

And I AM A DIE HARD ROCKETS FAN, living in Austin! I don't "know" all the names you mentioned (not intimately), but I do know of them. And, of course I know all the more recent greats, as well as Rudy T, Calvin, and others. And I still can't believe the Rockets are adament about not inviting Calvin back. Man, it's so hard to listen without him on there. :(

And it's not my fault I couldn't go to the Rockets games when I was young, but as I got older and made my own money, you can bet I was there. I still go to as many games as possible every season.

And as far as memorabilia, what about Francis? Can he count? I know a lot of people dog him, but he was my boy back to Maryland, (he played at San Jac for a while outside of H-town, too), and I always claimed him and TMAC as my boyz. Actually, funny thing before the big trade--I started telling my friends (because I could tell a trade was coming), that if the Rockets traded Francis, I'd be furious if it were for anyone but TMAC. Well, I had to swallow my words, because it happened. It was bitter sweat, but for the best.

Anyway, I have a picture with Francis, along with autographed rookie cards and NBA logo'ed photos (also autographed). I've had very few opportunities to meet many of the rockets, but I took the chances I had.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people around here that history with the organization...but don't count me out because I didn't meet all the greats. I wasn't around then.

But, because of your comments, I can't end this post without begging Clutch for a pass, if he is the only way to get in! What do you say, Clutch. ;)

16. two-sandwiches

I lived in Houston until 1996 moved to Austin back to Houston in 1997 back to Austin to help my brother raise his daughter in 2000 back to Houston in 2001 after losing my mother in a car accident back to Austin so my fiancee could finish school in UT after leaving Vassar with health problems, a little closer to home. Its been a long ride so far. I am attempting to make the 13 screenplays I've written materialize with my brother whose a UT film graduate. Although I'm following my dreams in Austin I still yearn to run down Richmond with all of you guys again one day.

I come down for games when I can still and I hate that I have no rocket fan friends up here to watch the games with. I really want a slingbox! Not sur if this Apple laptop is even good enough to handle it.

I endure many a remarkd from my girl for being on this site to talk Rockets so much so that is how much of a fan I am.

My favorite rocket game memories are going to at least a hundred plus games in my life.

Being young and meeting players during shootarounds early before the games. Going to Hotel Sofitel after the games and getting autographs.
    watching my one of my best friends hit a half court shot to win a car.
    Going to the last game that Dream, Clyde, and Chuck won together. (Incidentally I brought a noise making instrument this game that everyone around me found interesting and the ushers took me off and evryone booed and then let me go back to my seat with it and two whole sections roared with my return, it was an electric night against the Jazz, I told the ushers to take that bald headed Jazz fan out of the building not me!)
    Going to the All star game in the dome.
    Sitting on the court taking pictures with the press and getting pictures of Dominique and Spudd Webb dunking for us before the game.
    Countless playoff games.
    To UH to see Dream, Clydes jerseys be retired.
    To Toyota to see Dreams jersey be retired.

Alot of memories I've had at the rockets expense and hopefully alot more to come.

I hope the rockets come to Austin and I hope to meet some rocket fans to watch the games with in the future.

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Guys,

I would be surprised if Clutch goes to training camp. He lives in Houston. :) And there is no chance anyone not with the media will be allowed inside after practices when the media gets their shot at interviewing players, etc. The media barely gets in.

Second, no WAY JVG does open practices. I'm sure they'll have one like they do every year at Toyota Center, but he is notorious for not wanting ANYONE near the practice floor during workouts. So, don't get your hopes up for an open practice, Austinites. I seriously doubt that will happen.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

young fans count too. as long as they know their history well!
    hey you got a pic with Steve, that counts! ;)

19. tinman

Supporting Member

look if some 7 foot chinese dude rolls up to Player's and orders a milkshake, then its worth it! :)

20. thephatp

HAHA!! Very true! Looks like I'll have a whole week at Player's if they do come in to town, just on the freak chance they come by.

Speakin' of...I haven't been there in a while. I'm due! :D