1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joakim Noah or Yi Jianlian?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by johnkamla, Aug 26, 2006.

1. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

Dude, that's pretty strong language there...if you're going to call me a LIAR, at least make sure before doing so. You don't happen to be Yi Jianlian's cousin or something, are you???

First, I have no idea what rumor regarding Shane you're talking about. I also have no idea what some previous poster is talking about in regards to Fran Blinebury. Can't even comment on it because, like I said, I have no idea.

Jim Durham and Bill Walton talked about Yi Jianlian's age several times during the ESPN broadcast of the USA vs. China exhibition game in Guangzhou. Durham and Walton were the ones speculating that Yi is older than his "new" listed age of 23 (October 1984 birthdate means he's about to turn 24). Yi Jianlian's age is not 19 according to many reports.

See here:http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a...t_yi_jianlian_becomes_3_years_older_in_1_day/

"Jianlian's age has been considered a question mark for quite some time now, the biggest question now is whether his new age can be believed either."

That sounds like I'm not the one that's saying he could be older than his "new" listed age of 24.

This article also refers to an article on sina.com (which is a Chinese news site, so don't any of you Chinese dudes come and say that it's some American fueled rumor) confirming that Yi's age was suddenly changed and that he's suddenly turned 3 years older.

Here's another story: http://www.nbadraft.net/prevenas048.asp

"Speaking of age, that brings up a rather controversial issue surrounding Yi. Some records say he was born in 1987. Others say he was born in 1984."

I don't know, dfwrox...maybe I'm imagining having read that on the internet. Maybe I started multiple websites called RealGM and NBAdraft.net, posting articles dating back over a year, in order to start my very own rumor that Yi Jianlian's age is older than 19 and can't be reliably authenticated . Maybe I got myself a job at a Chinese language news site and wrote a Chinese article about my rumor. Maybe I'm the one that gained enough influence at ESPN/ABC/Dinsey in order to script Jim Durham and Bill Walton's dialogue and have them perpetuate this rumor that I made up years ago. :rolleyes:

If you don't like my sources/don't find them trustworthy or simply choose not to believe them, fine. But don't call me a liar without doing some research yourself.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Joakim Noah looks like a tall kid going into the WNBA draft. I think that detracts from his actual talent and on-court effectiveness. Which is still a bit overrated, yes. Its like the draft 2 years in going with Emeka Okafor the productive college player or Dwight Howard the "younger" physical prospect. I'd go with Noah right now.

#22 Shroopy2, Sep 3, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  3. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

my math was a little off on my last post (it's late). if yi's birthday is REALLY 10/2004, then that means he's about to turn 22. durham and walton were speculating that yi is older than that...as do the articles.

my point is still stands...namely, that yi jianlian's age of 19 is disputed and that there is speculation that he's older then 22. i am of the opinion that, whenever a player's age is "suddenly" adjusted, that the new age given can't fully be trusted, either. i feel the same way about, say, Dominican or Cuban baseball players that have years suddenly attached to their ages. it just paints everything in a suspicious light.

4. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

geez, i need to go to bed...i meant to type 1984, not 2004.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I heard Ming is 28.

I heard LeBron is 25 - and did you know he's Mike's brother?

6. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

okay...i guess.

7. mrmrdan

mrmrdan Member

Yi told me the other day that he was 47. His plastic surgeon does routine checkups every two days, and he does promotions for a major hairgrowth product.

8. adoo

adoo Member

Yi's accomplishments, on the International stage and the CBS, pale in comparison to anothe PF Wang ZhiZhi

9. wozudichter

wozudichter Member

um, i think this is a no brainer- noah maybe has less potential, but way more proven skills than yi. and that point about yao dominating cba before coming to the nba is right on - yi hasn't really dominated the way yao has, and probably won't. Noah will put up solid numbers.

10. AzCkR

AzCkR Member

i'm not a big fan of joakim noah. i would take yi jianlian over him anyday.

11. adoo

adoo Member

based on what ?

certainly, no the level of competition, as as it has been, that Yi has faced thus far.

when confronted by stiff competition, will Yi

==>fold like a tent, in a manner like Wang ZhiZhi, or

==>compete like hell, in a manner like YaoMing ?

12. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Two games China vs USA,

Yi: 14p/9r/30m and 13p/7r/2b/24m

Bargnani was Yi's backup in 04 Hoop Summit game. Yi 7p/7r/28m, Bargnani 3p/3r/19m.

#32 wireonfire, Sep 7, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  13. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

That is because you watched too many of his highlight dunks. Yi shot 36% at 3s last season. He is known for his outside jumpers.

14. GreatRox

GreatRox Member

Joakim Noah hands down

15. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I dont know about this Yi guy and how his game will translate into the NBA...

how are his stats in the CBA? Yao dominated the CBA...

we need a rough and tough PF not a pansy (aka Noah)

16. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

1) Stromile Swift hit 50% of his shots last year. He took many midrange jumpers, and made many as well.

2) Yi is not a Stro clone. I agree he's built similarly, but as mentioned, he hit 36% of his 3's. He's got a decent midrange game complemented by the ability to take it to the hoop against bigger guys. When you combine his ability to hit 3's, hit a midrange J at a decent rate, and take it to the hoop, you have to think this guy can probably score a little bit regardless of the league. You may think that his quickness is overrated because of the competition he faces, but we've seen him play against the U.S. before and he's been able to show those flashes.

IMO he's 19 and they wanted to change his age because you have to be at least 22 to leave the CBA.

17. GreatRox

GreatRox Member

The question should be, who will be waived first? or Who will be traded first.

18. KGHossman

KGHossman Member

I would definitely take Noah over Yi. Noah would be a good compliment to Yao's game. Also, you said after the obvious choices of Greg Oden and OJ Mayo. Mayo won't be eligible for the draft, he is only a high school sr. I believe ur thinking of Kevin Durant of Texas. he's sposed to be the "next Tmac".

19. BlueberryEater

Yi is way better than Noah. Oh and the age rumor crap, Yi is definitely 19. Those reporters got confused with those Chinese lunar calendar birthdates and they made a big deal about it when they don't know what's going on. So they need to get over it.

Gosh, reporters these days just don't have better things to write about.

20. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Those of you who favor Noah over Yi probably never saw Yi play. You are making the same mistake like you did with Yao back in 2002. One cannot assume that Yi isn't going to do well in the NBA just because he played in an inferior league like CBA. And Yi is not exactly Swift-clone; Yi is much taller and has much better range out to 3-pt line and better backetball IQ. and I belive his age is authentic, we all know how rumors go, heck it's probably started by some GMs out there on some play-off teams to try to lower Yi's value to get their hands on him. I've heard that Yi wanted to play for the Suns, so maybe he does not care to be a lottary pick anyways. I'd pick Yi over Noah anytime.