1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Bonzi worth the risk for our TE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sanjaylucknow, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

If it is needed then we can sign him to a 3yr deal with year 2 being a player option. This would provide flexibility for Bonzi to test the free agency next year. And if both Bonzi and Rockets are comfortable, we can use our MLE next year to resign Bonzi to a better contract. This year if Sura gets back strong, we will have a heck of a veteran team:

Alston/ Sura
    Wells/Head
    TMac/Battier
    Howard/Battier
    Yao/deke

When ever needed Snyder and Hayes can step in. This also takes prssure off from JL III/Novak/Vspan to perform rightaway. Now if we waive Bowen and sign a bigger and better bruiser and rebounder, may be Cato, then we will be ready to compete with anyone. Go Rocks...

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i think the kings already said they refuse to do any S&T with him.

my hope is that he signs a 1 year deal this summer and next summer we can target him with the MLE.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You've got another thing coming if you think Shane won't be starting,playing 38 - 40 minutes or so a game.
    On Bonzi....I would love to have him if he would take less to sign with us,but the trade off might be not getting our PF that can pound the boards and play some D.I'd rather have the PF at this point.

4. momosworld

momosworld Member

I would definitely NOT traget him next year for anywhere near the full MLE. The guy is a headcase. He is only worth the one year shot this year because he might control himself enough to play for a new contract. When he gets the money he wants. I don't want to have anything to do with him.

5. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Nice thinking! I agree 100%, dude!

6. Danbury

Danbury Member

It certainly would help and right now the talent is lacking for Houston. If they get Bonzi this would be a great offseason, but thats a very long shot.

7. double d

double d Contributing Member

I agree, his career has been too erratic, and we desperately need help in the front court

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

To answer the thread's original question: he is 100% worth the risk.

He's a high percentage shooter that rebounds very well and plays tough defense. For a team lacking a solid 3rd option, Wells would fit the bill. He's the kind of player that could make or a break a game and give us 3rd gun we've been lacking.

I seriously doubt any of the 22 people that voted "no" watched the 23/12 on 60+% shooting Wells averaged against the Spurs in the playoffs. "But he's playing for a contract.....blah blah blah" however that strategy hasn't exactly payed off for him since he's one of the only remaining big names still on the FA market. This whole idea isn't very likely but his options are starting to become limited. If you could somehow kid this guy for cheap you absolutely HAVE to go for it.

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I voted no and am aware of this performance. I also caught his act here in Portland for too long. It was a nice series for him, but if you sign him with the expectation that he's the Spurs series Bonzi and not the 8 years in Memphis/Portland knucklehead Bonzi then I think you will be disappointed.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

What's the latest on Miles up there?

11. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

The fans want him gone. Patterson says he's still part of the team, but you know he wants him gone too. With his contract and rep he's going to be very difficult to trade without throwing in one of the young guys. They haven't officially named a new GM yet, even though they've made 7 trades without one. The sports columnists constantly rag on him and Randolph, so Miles doesn't have many fans here. The Blazers have really lost a lot of fans the last few years. There was a lot of hope last month that Allen would sell the team, but after soliciting and receiving several healthy bids, he decided to keep the team.

But it's good for me, because there's always plenty of $10 tickets when the Rockets come to town.

12. Ralph & Akeem

Ralph & Akeem New Member

I'll say this again - Bonzi Wells would be a HUGE addition to the Rox. I live in Sacramento and saw him play for the Kings this past season.

First of all - for all the talk you hear about him being a head-case and malcontent - we saw none of it. He was the consumate professional. Now I know some out there will say he was "playing for a contract", but I don't think you can just turn that bonehead switch on and off.

Secondly, he was the best player on the Kings from the moment he started playing. He easily outplayed Bibby, Peja and Miller before he injured his groin and I would argue he was more valuable than Artest in the 2nd half of the season.

Third, just take a look at the stats from the Kings/Spurs playoff series. He's a difference maker from the shooting-guard spot. If you can pick up a player that can dominate games - you do it.