1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] 2006 World Championships Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, Jul 7, 2006.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I can understand why Coach K absolutely loves Dwyane Wade, his heart and willingness to be coached make him the ultimate Coach K-type player. But when the US starts facing good international competition who really know how to use the zone, we're going to see how worthless his talent is in international competition. The best players against the zone are jump shooters. Games 1 and 2 against the Mavs show Wade's jump shooting ability. And if he plays the way he did in the finals, pushing off and banging into defenders, with refs who are typically biased against the US and world-class floppers, he'll foul out in 2 minutes flat.

2. dream2franchise

U.S. team impressive in scrimmage vs. Puerto Rico
    By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
    August 1, 2006

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- If the Americans play as well as they did at times Tuesday night, they might not even miss the guy sitting behind the basket.

The U.S. team made an impressive debut, winning all four quarters of a scrimmage against Puerto Rico before a Thomas & Mack Center crowd that included injured teammate Kobe Bryant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Bryant, unable to play in the upcoming world championships after undergoing knee surgery last month, made his first appearance at training camp and sat with USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo about five rows behind the basket.

And watching Carmelo Anthony, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade put on a show reminded Bryant -- who also had to pull out of before the 2004 Olympics while dealing with a sexual assault trial -- how much he wanted to be a part of the team.

"It's tough, it's really tough," Bryant said after the game. "Especially coming, seeing guys playing, competing and doing what they did today.

"I've been looking forward to this. Since I spoke with Mr. Colangelo on the phone I've been looking forward to it, coming out here and playing and competing. It's very upsetting."

Even without the NBA's leading scorer, the Americans had several impressive spurts during the four-quarter scrimmage. Scores were reset at the start of each period, otherwise the Americans would have won 116-82.

U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski stressed earlier Tuesday that the scrimmage was nothing more than a practice, but he found his players took it more seriously than that.

"I like the fact, I think it meant something," Krzyzewski said. "I thought actually a couple of guys were nervous in a good way. That means it means something. I thought they tried to play every possession."

The U.S. held a Puerto Rican team that included Orlando guard Carlos Arroyo without a point for more than 3 minutes to open the second quarter. The most impressive stretch came during the third period, when James, Wade and Dwight Howard all threw down powerful dunks -- at the basket right in front of Bryant.

"It's amazing, it's fun to watch," Bryant said. "They come at you in waves. It's nonstop, the pressure that they put on fullcourt, quick hands, quick feet that they have."

The scrimmage marked the first time the teams were together since the Puerto Ricans routed the Americans 92-73 during preliminary round play at the 2004 Olympics.

Anthony was on that U.S. team, and hasn't forgotten about his Olympic debut.

"I remember like it was yesterday," he said after a morning practice. "I can't forget that ... whipping."

He guaranteed a competitive atmosphere, then went out and was the best player on the floor. He scored 23 points and shot 10-for-13 from the floor while helping spearhead the strong defensive effort to begin the second quarter.

Anthony said the plan was to build on a strong finish to the first quarter by the previous unit. Krzyzewski played seven players in the first and third quarters, and the other eight in the other two.

"We tried to learn from their mistakes and I think it helped us in the second quarter," Anthony said.

James added 20 points. All 15 players scored for the Americans.

Arroyo scored 17 points for the Puerto Ricans, including a 3-point shot just before the buzzer at the end of the second quarter. Rick Apodaca, who played at Hofstra, added 13 points.

The teams meet again Thursday night in an exhibition game, and face each other in their opening game at the world championships on Aug. 19 in Sapporo.

Bryant could be there at some point. He said he wasn't planning to travel to Asia while continuing to rehab his knee, but Colangelo said Nike would like Bryant to make a promotional appearance in Japan.

But he'll have to wait at least another year before making his U.S. debut.

"It's really, really tough," Bryant said. "Just have to do what I have to do, I guess."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aoy3X5UQRRLkZHCCmLLKHxm8vLYF?slug=ap-uscamp&prov=ap&type=lgns

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They beat Puerto Rico in an exhibition last year before getting whooped when it really counts...

Bad move Coach.

4. ymc

ymc Member

So who got the minutes in this scrimmage? Maybe then we can find out who will be cut.

5. ymc

ymc Member

Amare is out. Next up Joe Johnson and Jamison. Go Battier! :D

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I don't think Joe Johnson will be cut. He was on of the guys that got it going for the US during that 2nd quarter.

Stoudamire and Jamison will probably be cut then it would have to be out of Bowen, Bosh, and Brad Miller. as of now I'd say it's Bowen who is the last player to be cut.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Joe Johnson was the suprise of the game for me. He's going to play a big part.

8. TheBigSleep

TheBigSleep Member

The biggest problem on last years team was the coach. We now have a coach who understands that he has smart creative playmakers. Even at Duke, he ran motion offense because he trusts his players to make the right decisions.

Brown is all about fitting pieces into his system, while Coach K is much more flexible and fluid in using his players.

This team should continue to improve as they figure out how to play with one another in K's system.

9. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

CNT's roster for WC fixed:

WANG, ZhiZhi
    MO, Ke
    LIU, Wei
    YAO, Ming
    YI, JianLian
    ZHU, FangYu
    DU, Feng
    WANG ShiPeng
    SUN Yue
    Zhang XongTao
    ZHANG QingPeng
    CHEN JiangHua

GO CHINA!!!

10. Haim

Haim New Member

11. JumpMan

12. Swack

Swack Member

Wow, Bowen finally scored.

13. AXG

AXG Member

14. TracyMcCrazyeye

15. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

16. JumpMan

Finally this thing gets going tonight (tomorrow, whatever) 12:00 in the AM on ESPN2, Team USA's revenge game against Puerto Rico. Be there or be square or something...

For those who will TiVO the thing, I hope you don't wake up to a b**** fest, I don't think you will, the team looks strong, but you never know. :cool:

17. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Lets kick some ass!

USA rules the world!

I'm kidding around. But this is cool. I want to watch Greece and China and some of the other teams. This is just a really cool thing to have going on right now for us basketball fans. It's almost like March Madness for the world of professional basketball.

I want to see Yao and Spanoulis do well but really just long as they stay healthy, thats all that matters. Same goes for Battier.

#97 Texas Stoke, Aug 18, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  18. ghost

ghost Member

Is anyone recording these games? I don't have that ability at the moment and wanted to record them. If anyone records the games, please let me know.

19. Dr. Basketball

Wade + James = going on a federer like winning streak!

20. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member