1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

flying to London sunday

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by THE BREESE, Aug 1, 2001.

1. THE BREESE

THE BREESE Member

going with my dad to london on sunday for a week. just wanted to know if anyone else had been their and what they did. I have not been back to london for over a day since i moved and i was 3 then so not sure what i will do any suggestions welcome.

cheers

------------------

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Alright, another vaction thread! London is freaking expensive so bring plenty of money. Tons of stuff to do though.

Madame Tussaud's- Biggest wax museum in the world. Some of the coolest and scariest stuff I've ever seen. World famous.

Big Ben- Along the Thames, probably the most famous London landmark. Check out Westminster Abbey while you're at it.

Buckingham Palace- Nice place, walking distance from Big Ben.

Tower of London- Never actually been, but looked tight from the outside.

London Eye- Big ass ferris wheel on the Thames

Millenium Dome- For the love of God, don't go here

Hyde Park- Listen to some crazies preach

Trafalger Square- Cool place to chill and relax

London Museum- Huge ass museum with tons of neat exhibit

Greenwich Park- Lies on the Tropic of Capricorn. GMT= Greenwich mean time. Nice place.

Piccadilly Circus- Bars and clubs, etc.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

To add to this:
    The Museum of Natural History. This is a must if you want to see some really cool stuff. Every bit as impressive as the British Museum.

For Hyde Park, you have to go on a Sunday to hear the speakers. I was there about a month ago and it was great, but you must have an open mind. [​IMG]

See a play. I caught Phantom and loved it.

Don't forget the best part: the Pubs!!!

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

4. davo

davo Contributing Member

Also don't forget
    Leicester Square: movies, stage etc
    Soho - red light, bars & nightclubs
    Fulham Broadway - great night spot
    Richmond - absolutely awesome on a nice summers afteroon
    Battersea Park
    Regent Street - great shopping
    Churchills War Cabinet bunkers - excellent self guided tour
    Buckingham Palace - should get to see the changing of the guard during summer - not to be missed.

So much to do in London, you will have a great time. Hope the weather is fine for you. I'll be there myself twice in the next 4 weeks.

And if you're really lucky, go and catch a session of cricket - The Ashes between Australia and England

------------------
    God help me, ...I was only nineteen.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

5. Curly

Curly Member

"Look kids...Big Ben"

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

6. THE BREESE

THE BREESE Member

ive got a friend that just moved their from scotland so i already know im going with him to piccadilly circus.
    thanks for the help Baqui99

------------------
    cheers

7. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

I went a couple of years ago and got to stay at The Marriot County Hall. That was pretty sweet! However, I'm ashamed that I failed to ride the London Eye given that it was right next door. I'm making an effort to ride it when I go back after Christmas.

If you have any desire to get out of the city consider taking a train up to Oxford. That was a neat experience seeing a school with that much history. No school in America can compare to Oxford in that regard.

I believe Tate Modern is a new museum that is supposed to be really nice. Correct me if I'm wrong. London museums are definitely plentiful. I went to a museum near the Tower Bridge right off the Thames. There was a lot of modern furniture and appliance designs. Very cool! The name is avoiding me though.

Enjoy!

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

you can do a double deck bus tour that has three different routes (something like red, green and blue) that go around all the major sites in London and you can just hop at whichever stop suits you and then get back on when you are done looking at something... great value

Smeg

9. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

The bus tour is a quick way to learn the city. After that you can decide what touristy thing is worth your time.

As discussed above, bring lots of cash. I am there about every six weeks. It is definitely one of the most absurdely expensive places. Money is like water. Easily $100 a day in petty cash - Cabs, food, more cabs.

Definitely check out Speakers Corner in Hyde park. It is only on Sundays in the northeast corner of the park. If you think the forum has good debates, you have not seen anything like this!

Club scene is good. Check out China White. It is usually invitation only or you have to know a member. But it usually has something going on. Try having the concierge at your hotel set it up.

Way to many other things to include. Just walk the west end. It seems like I walk 10 miles a day there.

Great city.
    :)

10. THE BREESE

THE BREESE Member

thanks guys,

I just got an email from my friend and looks like he got a few days off work and will take me round. I also got tickets to the hot spurs v fiorintin(not sure spelling but the italian club) football (soccer) match so that should be a blast.

thanks again for the help guys

I also just found out that i will be flying first class for the first time so im looking to take advantage of that:D :cool:

11. bcdjad

bcdjad Member

Breese -- good for you!! London is a great, great city (my favorite in Europe). Very damn cool!

First class tickets, eh? Why, you lucky so-and-so!! Nah, just kidding, bro! ;) Which airline? Virgin Atlantic and KLM totally kick ass!

To add to the suggestions, may I suggest the following:

1) Buckingham Palace -- try and go when they have the changing of the guards or some other cool occasion when they have a procession of the guards on horses. Totally awesome.

2) Museum tour of Jack the Ripper (cannot remember the name, sorry).

3) For a great shopping experience, by all means, go to Harrod's.

4) As suggested, see some Broadway plays.

5) Kew Gardens.

6) The "Mall".

Please be careful on this trip, Breese. A bomb exploded just near a London underground station earlier tonight. Anyway, have a great time!!

12. THE BREESE

THE BREESE Member

im flying continental, not the best but still not bad.

thanks again for all the help, god knows i need it. I lived in London and was born in Aberdeen, but that was a while ago and i figured i would need a little help to fully experience London now that im old enough to.

13. THE BREESE

THE BREESE Member

i just realized that i will have to get used to the time switch (again) and i usually dont do that by posting on the internet until 2:20

damn i hope i dont sleep the entire time im there:D

14. Lynus302

Jack the Ripper museum tour? hmmm....are you referring to the Jack the Ripper walking tour? If so, the definitely try to do that Breese, if you're in to that kind of thing. It all depends on your guide though. I got lucky and had an incredibly charasmatic guide when I went on this tour, which tours all the murder sites and ends at the Jack the Ripper pub.

For what it's worth, pick up a copy of a Frommer's London guide. You can buy Frommer's guides for just about anywhere, and I've found that they are the absolute best paperback guides you can get.

15. Lynus302

To combat jet lag, stay OUTSIDE during the day!!! The sunlight helps your internal clock reset itself faster to the new schedule. If you just mope around all day letting your weariness get the best of you, you'll never get over it.

16. bcdjad

bcdjad Member

Yes, Lynus, the Jack The Ripper tour was indeed a walking tour. Not as romantic as The River Thames or Hyde Park, but interesting all the same.

Just looked at Travelocity.com, and DAMN, I cannot believe how expensive these hotels are!! Cheapest one I could find was US$ 61.95 / night, and was surprised it was that cheap. London is SUCH an expensive city -- otherwise you know it would be bursting at the seams with tourists!!:D

17. bcdjad

bcdjad Member

Breese -- nearly forgot -- try to go someplace where they serve high tea in the afternoon. Last time I went to London was 1995. I think the tour guide took us to Kensington Garden for the tour, then enjoyed high tea and scones afterwards. Awesome!!

Aren't ya glad I'm not only into that 'ol Jack The Ripper tour? ;)