1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racism alive and well......terrible story

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HOOP-T, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Rocket crazy

Rocket crazy Member

and my previous post, in case u dont know the word i was referring to since it is beeped out, the word is the "N" word commonly referanced to a black person

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Instead of condeming people for being racist, try to understand them.

Even though most are "stupid hicks" who don't know better, there are many out there who I understand why they are that way. (NO!, im not encouraging them)

Take our vietnam vets for example, they seen their friends get killed by them day in and day out by vietnamise ... not just by the VC ... but the 'supposive' good guys. When they are subjected to that, what do you expect? To come back to America and love them? But it doesn't give ME the excuse to hate them. I can only try to convice them that they are not all bad people.

My g/f lives in a town of a ration of appx 2 whites to 1 black. She works in a clothing store. She tells me majority of the blacks are rude to her and 90% of all thefts are black people. I am constantly telling her to quit having a negative outlook on them. But I do understand why she feels this way, and I try to help her have a better view about them.

And on the same side, I completely understand why the blacks would treat her this way, when pretty much every white person in town snobs them. Its a vicious cycle, and both sides are at fault.

A racist person to me is just as much as disgusting as an intolerable anti-racist. Neither want to understand eachother and would rather insult eachother. To call a person a "racist bigot" without truely knowing them and their intentions is just as wrong as person calling someone a "(insert racial slut) lover"

In sum, racism is much better than what it could be. We need to be thankful we aren't like many nations that have been divided for hundreds of years. Count your blessings instead of b****ing about how it could be ... because it will never be perfect!

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not to be r****ded but is JEW a bad word/Racial Slur

I mean if someone is Jewish . . . they are referred to
    as being a Jew [I know it can be used in a derogatory
    manor but . . ] . is just saying 'Tommy is a Jew' and tommy
    *is* of the Jewish faith a derogatory term?

I just want a definative answer to this for myself.

Rocket River

4. Space Ghost

I think he is referring to people making comments bagging on the Jews for whatever reason, such as being stingy or whatnot, not because of their "race"

And a Jew is not really a race, its a Faith.

5. Rocket crazy

Rocket crazy Member

No, calling someone a jew that is jewish is fine, nothing wrong with that. But someone out of the blue calling someone a Jew just because they did something wrong or said something (to non Jews) And Ghost, since "Judiasm" is a belief not a race, im half "Hebrew" and Christian by belief =) just wanted to clear that up

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Of course, "Hebrew" isn't a race, either.

7. JCBlazersGirl33

Instead of condeming people for being racist, try to understand them.

Racists are the ones we should take time to understand? The people on the recieving end of racism are entitled to our understanding, not the rascists themselves. That's like saying, "Instead of condeming the Nazis for being racist, try to understand them" or "Instead of condeming the KKK for being racist, try to understand them". Rascist don't deserve understanding or a sympathetic tone.

"She tells me.... 90% of all thefts are black people.
    SO what? Most serial killers are white males. If i started looking at all white males in a negative light, would people condone my behavior? Would they try to understand me if I was a racist? No, they'd think i was a nutcase. But suddenly when it's people of color on the recieving end of such prejuduce than they should "stop b****ing" or "count their blessings" or "get over it and move on"?

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Actually, it is helpful to understand why people think the way they do in order to combat their misconceptions. Simply branding them racists often doesn't help change their minds because many people who have some racist opinions don't really consider themsevles to be racist. When one comes to their opinions through what is to them a rational process, they often don't see the flaws inherent in the way they came to their opinions.

There are many people in this country who are "racist" but don't consider themselves so and don't really know that they have racist opinions. Understanding how those people came to have those opinions can go a long way toward helping to show how they are wrong - far better than simply calling them a name (no matter how accurate the name may be) can.

9. JCBlazersGirl33

"Actually, it is helpful to understand why people think the way they do in order to combat their misconceptions. "

I can agree with that. What bothered me was the sympathetic tone toward racists in that post.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

You misunderstood his post.

11. Space Ghost

I can be sympathetic to anyone that can be helped. Im much more sympathetic towards the cause of the fire than the one the fuels the problem

12. Legendary21

Legendary21 Member

Racists are the ones who believe in all theese different races.
    Hebrew is nota race (I´m not sure anyone´s claimed that but..), Black is not a race, White is not a race...
    Human is a race, or rather: Human is human.
    If only more people could rise above their hate.

At least you´re all good rockets fans!
    :)

13. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

Initially, I was going to stay out of this, but Space Ghost....no disrespect, by your thought process is exactly why the race relations gap has not closed as much as it could. JCBlazersGirl33 has a lot of good points and I tend to agree with her on this.

Not that my opinion is any better than anyone else's, but I do believe I can give some valid points to this topic as I am bi-racial and know what is like on both sides of the fence.

No offense, Space Ghost, but your comments are spoken truly like a white person. First of all, what do you mean...."We need to be thankful we aren't like many nations that have been divided for hundreds of years. " We may not be many nations (which to some degree be more understandable), but we are one nation that HAS been divided for hundreds of years (almost 500 years to be exact or have we forgot about slavery?).

Now what you say next is just classic....."Count your blessings instead of b****ing about how it could be ... because it will never be perfect!" Have you ever been discriminated against, in any capacity? Did you count your blessing at that time? You might as well say "you're lucky we didn't ship your black a$$es back to Africa or gun you down in a Blacks Holocust." :rolleyes: And to say it would never be perfect (although, probably true), is conceding the fight and therefore it WON'T ever be perfect!

Now, don't get me wrong. Unfortunately poor minorities do tend at times give the non-minority reasons to have the thoughts/opinions that they do, but there is a reason for that. Let's use the example you gave about theft statics at where you girlfriend works. Well, before I get into that, what was the bleeping purpose of you even bringing that static up? But I digress. Here is a static for you....did you know that 94% of all thefts in suburban communities are non-minority? Now to be fair, this static relates to kids from age 12-23, but the sad thing is the average suburban 17 year old white kid has more than a 40 year old black man and does not have any reason to steal other than they can or for the excitement of it.

I urge you to rent this movie that John Travolta (my all-time favorite actor) starred in, called White Man's Burden. Watch that movie and then ask the question...."what if?" Maybe your views will evolve even further. In closing, Space Ghost I don't want you think that I remotely think that you are racist, but unfortunately, I have been around enough people with your similar views to know that your views towards race relations are dangerous.

Oh, and one last thing.....to whomever said that hopefully this will become the age of tolerance, let's try this instead....how about the Age of Acceptance?

14. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

fear is created in the mind.
    people shouldnt be afraid of other people