1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Getting Past Looking Stupid

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JVoss, Jul 31, 2006.

1. JVoss

JVoss Member

I guess there is the time when almost anything starts out that it just looks stupid. It takes someone with a real passion for something (or lots of money) to keep trying and keep trying until something gets past the looking stupid part. Well, I can tell you right off I don't have any money but I'm going to keep trying.

This year I started a basketball team for my son because the best players from his school were already playing on teams and he wasn't. I made sure that it would be a quality program (even if we never actually played a game), that it would put growth and team play above winning, and that neither my son or anyone else's would get special treatment (by making sure they were all treated with the same respect).

It was so successful I started a second team and almost had a girls team started. We had around 25+ kids from 6 different schools participate and I got 2 high school coaches and a college coach to volunteer help. We had at least two practices and/or games every week for 5 months. Every skill level was included (from A-Team players to players that hadn't played in several years) and all of them had fun. Over 5 months we didn't lose one player except when just way too busy with another activity. We played in a tournament and in a competitive league and actually did pretty well and our teams made lots of friends with other teams. Even the GM's son from the fieldhouse where we played begin to participate with our team!

I have a degree in Youth Ministry (although I've worked as a software engineer for nearly 20 years) and I love working with kids and with their parents. Actually, I enjoy paving the road for them and providing places for them to build relationships with each other more than anything. And I hate to see the same kids always getting all the opportunities. I just want to do something to give more kids in this area more opportunities and then expand to other areas besides southern indiana. I think it may take 10 years to fully develop this program but continuing with the basketball right now is a great place to start.

I'm not doing this for myself except for the fact that I do enjoy working and doing things to provide opportunities for kids. I also do this at the Church we attend which is very large and takes a lot of effort to make sure kids have a place to feel like they can serve if they want to (I organize elementary and middle school kids that do tech - media, lights, sound board, computers, etc.) So this is something I really like to do.

I'm not asking for dontations at this point as much as feedback. I won't always give to something and I won't always even give feedback either so I understand some will want to and some will not. But I feel so strong about this that I feel like I have to get it done. I just don't feel like I have a choice. So many good things happened this year that I can't just let it drop. And I'm not doing this for my son because he has already had his opportunity and he is doing just fine. I want to do this for all the other kids that need their shot. I will focus on 5th-6th grade age for now. There are so many kids at that age that are make or break and just need the chance to see or they will never get it again. I just can't let that go.

Anyway, take a look at my stupid :) website and let me know what you think:

Sum Team

Thanks,
    Jamie

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Keep on going

I appreciate what you doing

I really don't think Youth sports is taught properly
    good to see someone attacking and bringing it back
    to the kids

I tired of watching coaches too busy trying to win
    rather than coaches teaching

I mean . . I understand the kid is 6 ft in 8th grade
    post him up
    but . . when he 6'3 in high school and cannot dribble
    well . .he is unprepared. . just because u the biggest kid
    in elementary and JR high . . it does not mean u always will be
    so
    Coach should develop ALL SKILLS for ALL STUDENTs

that is just me

but
    Keep up .. .Glad to hear about your group

Rocket River

3. univac hal

univac hal Contributing Member

I just barely missed the cut for my school's basketball team when I was 11.. something that still stings my male pride even today. Never really got another chance to get into organised sports after that, and eventually I was forced into nerd-dom by cruel circumstance (OK, and my lack of skillz) :p

So.. I don't think there's anything stupid about this at all. Great idea and looks like it's already going pretty well. But if you're looking to expand this programme onto a larger scale, you'll probably need tie-ins with more established grassroots organisations or something? Donations can only get you so far..

Sorry I can't give more specific suggestions, I happen to live on the other side of the globe ;)

#3 univac hal, Jul 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2006
  4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

That's why skateboarding rules for kids. No parents/organizations needed, just you and the ramp, street etc.

It's the anti-little league.

5. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Rocket River,

Why do you break your posts up like that? I know it's just one poster's opinion, but it annoys me along the same lines of someone using all CAPS or TyPiNg LiKe ThIs.

I don't expect you to stop, but I've always wondered why you do it.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

lol, trust me. you're not the only one.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=115988&page=5

but it is easy to spot his posts.

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Adding to this-

Rocket River, I'm not criticizing you (Really). But, just so you know, I usually skip past your posts because of your formatting. I'd bet others do as well. You could be making some very good points, but if people don't read them it's just a waste. Take this as you will.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Maybe Rocket River's posting style
    Is one of those mysteries
    that will never be solved

like . . Why does Carrie Weaver
    use a cane in ER

or . . What was in the suitcase
    in Pulp Fiction

guess we'll never know

A-Train

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Didn't mean to hijack the thread or anything, so I'd like to say that I think JVoss has a good thing going and should try to spread the word about it any way he can as long as it's done in a respectable manner, such as this thread.

Keep it up. Every big project starts with a good idea and some hard work.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Like it or hate it (RR's posting style), you know EXACTLY who it is when you get there.

Awesome work JVoss

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Damn, those kids are so fast, they they blur in the picture. They could really help with the lack of quickness in the Rockets backcourt...

12. JVoss

JVoss Member

Thanks for the positive feedback. I do have some very big connections in the area. These are people that are huge,but all I have to do is call them on their cell phone and say my first name and they know who it is. And they still call me back because I haven't taken advantage of this before! My problem is just getting started enough to let those people know that I'm not taking advantage of them, but that this is legit. That's the getting past looking stupid part. You almost have to sell them that its not just an idea, but that its very real and by jumping on board they can get something out of it also even if its just a lot of good press.

13. JVoss

JVoss Member

haha!!! just a lousy camera!

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Maybe YOU TOO can come up with a style that EMPHASIZES itself on the page... :D

If you're not UNIQUE, people will think you're some kind of FOLLOWER. Funk that shiznit, yo.

A-Train... what up with that, main?

----------
    I don't understand what the thread has to do with "Looking past stupid". The title had nothing to do with the kids... :(

What city are YOU in, JVossman? I'd like to see some ROCKETS connection there, but they ain't even wearing RED! ;)

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

LMAO... :D c'mon that was funny...RR, you're still my boy...

16. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Nothing against RR, but I honestly skip past his posts, I don't even read them, its too painful.

17. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Do you need any help coaching the kids?

18. JVoss

JVoss Member

The title is "Getting Past Looking Stupid". The point was that I feel stupid for trying to do this right now, but isn't that how a lot of people must feel in the beginning? Everytime I start to tell somebody about it I just kinda feel like their going to blow me off like that's a nice idea, but not really care. Sometimes you have to just get over that if you really feel that something needs to be done. That's what I feel like right now.

We're in Southern Indiana outside of Louisville, KY. There are some Rockets fans here, but not a lot!

19. JVoss

JVoss Member

Actually, that's the one thing I had plenty of help with, but I'm curious ... are you in Southern Indiana?

20. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Speaking of looking stupid

[​IMG]